BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Winch Questions!

• Emplan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2011 21:06 #13914 by Emplan
Winch Questions! was created by Emplan
Hi Guys,

Is there a correct poundage/tonnage of winch that a Jimny should have or is it like asking how long is a piece of string?

Is there a recommended make?

And importantly for me, as i'll be using the little motor as a semi daily drive i'd really like it hidden within the original bumpers, i have had a look at the photos here of the winch in original bumper build guide, is there a way or has anyone seen a less obtrusive way of doing it?

Regards

Emplan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brian.SMC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2011 22:20 - 23 Mar 2011 22:20 #13925 by Brian.SMC
Replied by Brian.SMC on topic Re: Winch Questions!
8500lb will do a jimny.

You could make it removable and keep it in the boot until you need it.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2011 22:20 by Brian.SMC.

• Little Terror
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2011 22:32 #13927 by Little Terror
Replied by Little Terror on topic Re: Winch Questions!
Yeh 8500 is plenty good enough for a jimny,im not going to bother with one on mine all i used my last one for was landrovers i would sooner leave them stuck lol.:evil: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• a18suf
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2011 06:40 #14014 by a18suf
Replied by a18suf on topic Re: Winch Questions!
mine is hidden between bumper and have campion 6500 one. it has been more than enough for me and ive even pulled some bigger cars with it one was a pajero and it did it with ease :)

More
25 Mar 2011 08:06 - 26 Mar 2011 20:28 #14024 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Winch Questions!
I've found that most people see 6000Ib as the minimum for a Zuk and most people with a 6000Ib are happy.

I have a 9500Ib Superwinch and it is great. Has pulled me wherever I have wanted, out of gloop and up steep hills without any signs of stopping.

They're about another £100 over a Champion or T max but mine was 2nd hand so only £250 and cost me nothing to clean and rebuild. It's like new inside now.

I would always use synthetic rope though. At the time this limited my choice of winch to the more expensive end as I was told I needed an external drum due to the brake in the drum causing heat transfer to the rope which damaged the rope.

Now some people I respect the opinion of are saying that's rubbish. I would take advice from several winch retailers and see what their collective opinion is.

I would only use rope as I've used wire before lowering a Lifeboat into the water when I was a crew member and in that usage it was horrid to use. Albeit rust was accelerated due to the salt, the odd frayed bits were evil.

Also, I've snapped a rope and regularly see others snap. Wire is no stronger but rather than drop to the floor can flick about and there is enough tension to mame. I've not seen one snap as I've barely seen one used, everyone uses rope here.

Winch solutions do a Marlow plasma for £145 + vat but if you can afford it I think goodwinch upgrade wire to rope with an alley fairlead for just £125 and its bowrope, which is regarded as the best.

It all comes down to money at the end of the day and what you intend to use it for. If its a safeguard on greenlanes a cheap 6000Ib with wire is ideal, for much more I'd go bigger if you can afford it but then get rope.

Just my thoughts and others will disagree, no doubt having used wire without issue for years or something. I wouldn't like to be at a pay and play and seriously injure someone with a snapped cable flying through the air and you can't always see or get through to people to get them to move.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 26 Mar 2011 20:28 by kirkynut.

• Emplan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2011 19:21 #14068 by Emplan
Replied by Emplan on topic Re: Winch Questions!

a18suf wrote: mine is hidden between bumper and have campion 6500 one. it has been more than enough for me and ive even pulled some bigger cars with it one was a pajero and it did it with ease :)

Any chance of some photos please :whistle:

And a build guide if thats possible, dont ask for much do I :P

• Emplan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2011 19:25 #14069 by Emplan
Replied by Emplan on topic Re: Winch Questions!

kirkynut wrote: I've found that most people see 6000Ib as the minimum for a Zuk and most people with a 6000Ib are happy.

I have a 9500Ib Superwinch and it is great. Has pulled me wherever I have wanted, out of gloop and up steep hills without any signs of stopping.

They're about another £100 over a Champion or T max but mine was 2nd hand so only £250 and cost me nothing to clean and rebuild. It's like new inside now.

I would always use synthetic rope though. At the time this limited my choice of winch to the more expensive end as I was told I needed an external drum due to the brake in the drum causing heat transfer to the rope which damaged the rope.

Now some people I respect the opinion of are saying that's rubbish. I would take advice from several winch retailers and see what their collective opinion is.

I would only use rope as I've used wire before lowering a Lifeboat into the water when I was a crew member and in that undressed usage it was horrid to use. Albeit rust was accelerated due to the salt, the odd frayed bits were evil.

Also, I've snapped a rope and regularly see others snap. Wire is no stronger but rather than drop to the floor can flick about and there is enough tension to mame. I've not seen one snap as I've barely seen one used, everyone uses rope here.

Winch solutions do a Marlow plasma for £145 + vat but if you can afford it I think goodwinch upgrade wire to rope with an alley fairlead for just £125 and its bowrope, which is regarded as the best.

It all comes down to money at the end of the day and what you intend to use it for. If its a safeguard on greenlanes a cheap 6000Ib with wire is ideal, for much more I'd go bigger if you can afford it but then get rope.

Just my thoughts and others will disagree, no doubt having used wire without issue for years or something. I wouldn't like to be at a pay and play and seriously injure someone with a snapped cable flying through the air and you can't always see or get through to people to get them to move.

Kirkynut

Thanks buddy ;)

Forgive my ignorance, I assume that the rope must come with various breaking strains???

God, theres soooo much I dont know :(

More
25 Mar 2011 20:12 #14071 by kirkynut
Different thicknesses - 9mm,9.5mm,10mm,11mm and 12mm - I use 9.5mm for pay and play use.

People use 11mm and 12mm on Landrovers in competition so I figure 9.5mm should be fine on a Zuk!!!

If I were to do comps I think I would upgrade to 10mm at least for the peace of mind - but having said that I've hung the Jimny on the 9.5mm at quite an incline to pull myself up it. It was brand new then though and is still like new.

There are no quoted breaking strains but it definately a case of you get what you pay for. I'm friends with many people who do winch challenges and they would only consider a few brands - Marlow, Bowrope or Plasma.

That's why i think the Winch Solutions Marlow 9.5mm for £145 + vat is such good value and ideal for us Zook owners. Look at the price of Bowrope from Goodwinch and it'll make you Goodwince!!! But it's good stuff.

Obviously you need an alley or stainless hawse fairlead for rope - not rollers.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
26 Mar 2011 20:41 #14096 by kirkynut
I've done a bit of research since last posting, in respect of rope on a winch with the brake in the drum and the issue with heat build up.

I looked on ruftracks website which seems quite informative and has some historic information.

I did this for my own benefit aswell as for the purpose of this post as I am considering a rear winch and looking at the cost aspect of it and whether I can afford it or not - definately not with new prices but you never know - a second hand one might come up like my front winch did!

In respect of synthetic rope I have learnt that heat build up from an "in the drum brake" can cause degredation to a synthetic rope and possible failure. However - you have to pay out under load - that is to lower your car using the brake of the winch to stop it running away - down an incline for over 6m or 20" before the heat build up will effect the rope.

This would be no good for me as I could be in a position where I need to lower my Jimny down further than 20" on the rope. I've not been in that poistion yet but the purpose of getting the rear winch would be to be able to do the odd competition or 2 and it would need to do more than that.

Remember - paying out not under load still goes against the brake and creates heat though. But you have the option of using the freespool mechanism and it does not create anywhere near as much heat as paying out under load.

So in summary - if you don't intend to use your winch to lower your vehicle more than 6m or 20" on a synthetic rope - an "in the drum braked" winch will be fine for you. If you do intend lowering it more than that on synthetic rope - look for an external braked winch, such as Superwinch, KingOne, Goodwinch Tds or if you have far too much bloody money - a Warn 8274 - which is no more powerful or quicker under load than a Goldfish, in standard form by the way!!!

If you have won the lottery - get a Gigglepin twin motor or quad motor winch but then your engine will become a generator for the batteries to power it and not much more!!!

Kirkynut after a few beers! but the info is right - I think...

• a18suf
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2011 04:38 #14157 by a18suf
Replied by a18suf on topic Re: Winch Questions!

Emplan wrote:

a18suf wrote: mine is hidden between bumper and have campion 6500 one. it has been more than enough for me and ive even pulled some bigger cars with it one was a pajero and it did it with ease :)

Any chance of some photos please :whistle:

And a build guide if thats possible, dont ask for much do I :P

hiya, sorry didnt take any step by step photos of it. there is a thread on here about it tho. mine is very similar to it, but mine is fitted higher.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds