BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Health and safety Roll cage's

• Little Terror
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2011 20:19 #13907 by Little Terror
Health and safety Roll cage's was created by Little Terror
Hi everyone after looking at quite a few jimnys on here i notice not many have you have got roll cages and i find this very disturbing mainly because i once seen a suzuki sj attempting to get up quite a big hill when three quarters of the way up he struggled for power and and came rolling back down and one of the lads that was in the back was thrown out and needed an air ambulance to move him and i can tell you the driver and his son were very shook up,so i hope you all consider getting one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2011 20:24 #13908 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: Health and safety Roll cage's
How would a roll cage stop someone being thrown out, thats what seatbelts are for.

• Little Terror
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2011 20:28 #13909 by Little Terror
Replied by Little Terror on topic Re: Health and safety Roll cage's
Ho yes and thats another good point seatbelts,at least this reminds everyone.

• Bigchridy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2011 20:29 #13910 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: Health and safety Roll cage's
I would love one but have you seen how much they cost!:(

Hopefully once the Jimny is on the road I will start saving for one!!! Might take a while tho!:laugh:

• jimny5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2011 20:30 #13911 by jimny5
Replied by jimny5 on topic Re: Health and safety Roll cage's
its about driving style and experience,and what situation you get into, you need to keep in mind the basics seatbelts for instance.

• a18suf
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2011 06:43 #14015 by a18suf
Replied by a18suf on topic Re: Health and safety Roll cage's
roll cages are soo expensive there is lots of things i need before one of thoes. maybe one day :unsure:

• gazert
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2011 09:15 #14028 by gazert
Replied by gazert on topic Re: Health and safety Roll cage's
Roll cages are a great idea if you often push your ability and those of your truck!

Wear seat belts when laning (its the law as green lanes come under the Road Traffic act.) £60 non endorsable fixed penalty!

There is another offence that can be used if you decide to go of piste! Driving otherwise than on a road!

Most play sites want people to wear seatbelts front and rear!

You really need to find out the limits of your ability and truck before trying to go to extreme.

Most accidents are down to misadventure or inexperience!

A roll cage is good but not if used as a security blanket for inexperience!

Plus it would destroy my economy for my daily driver!!

More
25 Mar 2011 09:22 - 25 Mar 2011 09:24 #14032 by mlines
Most sites insist on seatbelts (quite rightly!), however do not forget that once you get the Jimny even slightly off upright that the seatbelt mechanism locks. Therefore if you have put it on its side and you have to get out rapidly (waters coming in :ohmy: ) then one of these gives you that piece of mind....a seat belt cutter and glass hammer.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 25 Mar 2011 09:24 by mlines.

More
25 Mar 2011 09:36 #14037 by saxj
Locally (South Africa) the following is generally recommended

Seat-belts should not be worn for water-crossing and windows should be rolled down.

At all other times seat -belts on and windows 3/4 up.

More
25 Mar 2011 09:41 #14038 by mcjimny
As others have said, i'd say driving skill/ability to read the terrain/forward thinking/common sense would be a far more important factor than a rollcage.

I've personally always had the logic that i won't do any extreme mods until i could afford to have both just a plaything and to have a rollcage. My thoughts being that once its modded to a certain level i'm going to be in situations where a cage is more likely to be needed.

We would all love a tooled up truck but i do think theres a section of new people that see all these nicely modded trucks and think its essential to have all the mods. IMHO the single most important thing is experience, learn what the truck is capable of and how to drive different terrain and obstacles. No amount of trick suspension and aggressive tyres will help if you don't understand how your truck will behave.

One other piece of advice from a magazine feature on trackdays that i keep in mind is to not let the excitement get the better of you, don't do the "round one more time" you've had a good day and you and the car are in one piece its a good time to pack up and go home, there'll be another time.
Its perhaps boring but if i get that feeling i'll just go have one more go, i'll stop and take my time cleaning up the truck ready to go home.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
25 Mar 2011 09:43 #14039 by mcjimny

mlines wrote: Most sites insist on seatbelts (quite rightly!), however do not forget that once you get the Jimny even slightly off upright that the seatbelt mechanism locks. Therefore if you have put it on its side and you have to get out rapidly (waters coming in :ohmy: ) then one of these gives you that piece of mind....a seat belt cutter and glass hammer.

I bought one of these after seeing a club had a requirement that every truck has one. For how cheap they are why not. I've got mine mounted where the handle would go on the drivers side above my head.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
25 Mar 2011 13:53 - 25 Mar 2011 13:54 #14052 by maverick
I sort of 'wish' i had an Roll Cage - This was Henryd (North Wales) last year -- essentially I just took a wrong/bad line!!

Also, another problem i have with having a roll cage fitted, is that the Jimny probably wouldnt fit in my garage anymore ... although i have kept the original 15" rims and tyres that came with it, when i bought it..

Jalapeño, IISY?
Last edit: 25 Mar 2011 13:54 by maverick.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds