BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Still loosing abtifreeze/water----HELP!

• userlw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2011 18:36 #13752 by userlw
Hi guys.

Pest again !
I thought the problem with the loosing of antifreeze was the head gasket-so head been changed -checked everywhere for a leak and canot find it anywhere!
Had jimbob-
pressure tested
chemically tested
water pump changed
radiator changed
head gasket changed
timing belt changed
costing costing costing.....

I really do not know what else to do or where to look ?:blush:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2011 18:44 #13755 by supergaz
Have you checked if your carpets are damp? Could be a leaking heater matrix. Also make sure no hoses are perished or leaking, especialy around the clamp as i've had a clamp cut through before.

• userlw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Mar 2011 18:03 #13810 by userlw
Replied by userlw on topic Re: Still loosing antifreeze/water----HELP!
yrp-checked carepts all dry-it seems to be leaking from the overflow bottle that has 1 pipe coming in from radiator and one pipe out that has no end? checked it again today and i only filled it last night to max mark and its already on min ?cannot make head nor tail ?

• paulnb57
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Mar 2011 18:52 #13818 by paulnb57
Replied by paulnb57 on topic Re: Still loosing antifreeze/water----HELP!
If water is being lost through the overflow pipe on the header tank, that would suggest the water system is being pressurised somehow??
Did you change the head or the head gasket - just wondering if the head is warped or cracked or summit?

More
22 Mar 2011 19:06 #13822 by supergaz
Just an idea, put some dry cardboard under the engine bay overnight, (on a dry night) and see if any marks appear.

More
22 Mar 2011 21:05 #13847 by mcjimny
Try the cardboard under it while its running, may take a while to get it hot enough to lose anything.
You could cable tie a small bottle (500ml coke bottle?) near the expansion tank and put the pipe in it but don't seal it so it can overflow if it fills up. Run like it for a day or 2 to see if thats where the waters coming from. Then you need to find the reason its pressurising.
The only other thing could be is that its evaporating inside the engine.

Reading you post about filling it up, you're not filling the expansion tank are you? You are filling via the radiator cap arent you? Just how your post reads

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• silprops
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2011 07:27 #13857 by silprops
Replied by silprops on topic Re: Still loosing abtifreeze/water----HELP!
I've got the same problem. It turrns out to be a leak in one of the metal pipes attached to the heater matrix. Most of the time the leak is not noticeable, other times it's like a fountain - something to do with changes in pressure.

More
24 Mar 2011 09:21 #13944 by kirkynut
The expansion tank is just that. As the coolant in the engine gets hotter it expands as you would expect. It has to go somewhere or the pressure will get too much and something will blow.

The radiator cap is a pressure release valve with a spring and rubber so that at a certain pressure the rubber pushes against the spring and allows water to overflow into the expansion tank.

As the engine cools it siphons it back. So the level in the tank will go up when hot and down when cold. I know where mine should be at hot and cold.

The pipe that goes to nowhere is in case the expansion tank is over full and gives it a way of escaping.

If you are seeing the level in the expansion tank go down It's due to the engine siphoning some back to the rad to replace what's lost. It might not have enough vacuum to get all it needs back though if some water and pressure has been lost in the system somewhere.

As you can't find the leak that's a problem. Pressure testing the coolant system might help you find it.

I suspect it might be the heater matrix as others have said but you don't want to strip the dash to find its not. I'd have thought you would have smelt the sweet smell of the antifreeze if it was though.

You sound like you've spent a considerable amount of time and money, some unnecessarily perhaps. I don't want to see you spend too much more though but it needs fixing. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. I would pressure test it myself somewhere quiet and listen for the leak. Thats opposed to paying a garage.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
24 Mar 2011 09:53 #13947 by kirkynut
Just as another thought. I wonder if you've just got air in the system from draining it to do the head gasket. Did you turn the heater to hot before draining and refilling?

You could just be replacing the air that's working its way out with water at the moment. How many times/miles have you used it since changing the head gasket?

Have you heard gurgling coming from the coolant as you drive?

Keep using it and see if it settles down.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds