BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Head gasket

• userlw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2011 16:58 #13189 by userlw
Head gasket was created by userlw
Hey guys !

So finally found where my water/antifreeze was going-as my oil is now a creamy colour so it is the head.

But a quick question - when changing the head gasket do the head bots need to be changed please ?:unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brian.SMC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2011 17:01 #13190 by Brian.SMC
Replied by Brian.SMC on topic Re: Head gasket

userlw wrote: Hey guys !

So finally found where my water/antifreeze was going-as my oil is now a creamy colour so it is the head.

But a quick question - when changing the head gasket do the head bots need to be changed please ?:unsure:

Head bolts are designed to stretch, some have tolerance measurements and can be used again. I would use new ones evertime, why chance having to do the job twice.

• NickG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2011 17:09 #13192 by NickG
Replied by NickG on topic Re: Head gasket
Using the old head bolts is a no no really
also get the best head gasket you can
regardless of cost
As cheap one s tend to give up

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2011 22:07 #13214 by bertbuckie
Replied by bertbuckie on topic Re: Head gasket

NickG wrote: Using the old head bolts is a no no really
also get the best head gasket you can
regardless of cost
As cheap one s tend to give up

Trust this 100% ...... bloke knows what hes talking about :)
you can save money by using the old ones.....but it'l cost you more in the long run :(

More
12 Mar 2011 22:24 #13216 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Head gasket
Head bolts are often stretch bolts that are once only use. Not on all engines though. I would always use new ones but they aren't always cheap.

Payen gaskets are good quality and I always try to get them. Make sure both head and block are clean and score free and get the head skimmed no matter what.

This should make it a once only job then.

I've read that washing powder in the coolant for a short while will get the oil out of the coolant channels. Car mechanics magazine did it with good results on their octavia project car when the oil cooler split and allowed the oil and coolant to mix. Don't run it for too long with it in though. Sounds like a heath Robinson thing to do but works apparently.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds