BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny info

More
23 Sep 2009 12:34 #1292 by dgp1957
Jimny info was created by dgp1957
Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying a Jimny at some time in the next couple of months, I plan to drive off-road hopefully a couple of times a month, but also need the car for driving to work daily (50 mile round motorway trip). I really like the Jimny, its looks and all the info I have found tells me that it would be great off-road, but, I have also read that they are very unstable and can flip easily especially in wet driving conditions, which, as I live in Greenock on the west coast of Scotland, is going to be a very common weather condition.
Any help guys, is it the car or bad driving that causes these accidents?

Thanks
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2009 21:19 #1299 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re:Jimny info
I love mine and use it daily but on rural roads. Personally i'd be looking for something more economical to do 50 miles of motorway driving a day. I return about 220 - 230 miles to a full tank combined driving if i drive like i'm driving miss daisy! So you'll be filling up every 4 days with the Jimnys poxy little fuel tank.
We take ours about 40-50 miles to the coast and theres only a few stretches of dual carriageway, its drinking fuel at 70 and i find it really tiring keeping up with traffic ie coming off roundabouts or joining from slips. I only take it for the fun factor and it saves getting our other car covered in crap inside. I just like it that much.
I've had mine on a motorway and it will sit at 60 a treat any faster and its screaming.Its comfortable enough but moves around a bit when windy.

All imho! I just dont think its a motorway mile muncher. If you know someone with one see if you can borrow it for a weekend and drive the journey to see for yourself, if not take one for a good test drive taking in all sorts of roads.

The tipping issue i would say is down to the driver! Use a higher a gear and the wheels are less likely to spin. I drive mine quite hard and i've never worried that its going to fall over.
If it has to be a zuk and a 4x4 maybe consider a diesel vitara?

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
24 Sep 2009 06:02 #1300 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Jimny info
I would agree that its not a motorway mile muncher.

As for tipping over. Its a 4x4 and like every off-road 4x4 it has a higher centre of gravity than a car. Therefore, statistically, a 4x4 is more likely to tip than a car. It also runs with Rear Wheel Drive when on the road. Combine this with a very light rear end and wet roundabouts can be fun. But this is only a surprise to those people who have spent their driving years in front wheel drive cars with the weight over the front wheels.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
26 Sep 2009 09:27 #1323 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Jimny info
In standard form a Jimny is the same as any other 4x4 in that it won't handle like a Golf GTI, it is what it is.

To do any real Off Roading they need to have raised suspension, eithr by 2 or 3 inches and bigger wheels and tyres. The anti roll bar needs to come off too.

The higher suspension and lack of an anti roll bar means it is even less stable than a standard car, but you just drive it accordingly.

The bigger tyres mean you use more fuel and you get worse acceleration on the road.

The solution - drive according to the vehcile it is and get a second set of wheels with smaller tyres on for your daily commute that are closer to the originals, not as small as they'll look silly, perhaps some 195/15's in an all terrain pattern or road friendly MT's like Kumho KL71's.

Just be aware that in any form, Jimny's drink fuel! If you an handle that part, get one, get it lifted and get some bigger tyres before having fun!!!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds