BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

REmaping jimny

• benji
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2011 19:33 #12849 by benji
REmaping jimny was created by benji
hello im new to this forum and only got jimny last week.
loving it and goes up and over anything and everything. its just the amount of fuel she drinks driving normal.
so im thinking of getting her remaped and was wondering weather anyone has done it on this site.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2011 19:40 #12851 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: REmaping jimny
probably see hardly any gain at all, maybe IF YOUR VERY VERY VERY lucky a TiNy increase in fuel efficiency but i doubt it.

Keep the money and put it to an engine swap for a derv or an LPG kit.

Its generally turbo deisel or petrol cars that reap the benefits of a remap.

Welcome along by the way!

• benji
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2011 19:43 #12852 by benji
Replied by benji on topic Re: REmaping jimny
id like to drop a derv engine in her but dont have enough time as im working flat out and cant not have a jeep just sold van 2night maybe should have put that engine in her. vw caddy but its just wiring the engine is always the problem.

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2011 19:50 #12854 by biggaz
yeh its a fair bit work, few people have done ith though.. theres a deisel one on ebay at the minute with a vaux 17td in.

• benji
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2011 19:58 #12858 by benji
yeah that one looks nice.

im just so used to the van being so good on fuel. ill just have to live with it. mates shogun does 250 to 80litres so im not doing the worst haha

would bigger tires make the mpg worse as well?

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2011 21:01 #12867 by biggaz
Yes mate the bigger you go the worse, im on 215/75's which are quite a bit bigger than standard although not BIG by any means and im getting about 25 to the gallon.

More
09 Mar 2011 11:57 #12890 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: REmaping jimny
I would leave it alone. There are not really any engine tuners that I know of who would really understand what you would be looking for in mapping an Offroader.

You would want to improve torque more than power and you would want it low down. Quite the opposite of all my boy racer power chasing days where torque was important but in true Jeremy Clarkson style "POWER" was what you wanted.

I think a re-map of the standard engine without new cam(s) would be quite fruitless also. You would end up spending alot of money for no noticable gains.

Money might be better spent on a Rocklobster conversion as even the high ratio is lower (I think by 10% but don't quote me on the figure). This has an effect of giving more available torque but less top end speed - which is not what a Jimny is all about anyway. At about £500 + the bits, it's not that much more than a long session on the rollers with a decent tuner I suppose.

Or just leave it alone and enjoy what you've got for nothing!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• benji
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2011 11:18 #13164 by benji
think ill leave her alone then haha

by what i could get up yesterday up mountains dont think i really need big wheels. ill have to put a video together show u what ireland is like

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2011 12:04 #13174 by biggaz
just get some all terrain/mild mud tyres and enjoy :-)

• benji
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2011 12:06 #13176 by benji
some dude is selling a set on the forum just asked hiim if he would ship them to ireland.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds