BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Interesting Kap build - no pics and private plate

• rajsuzuki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2011 13:31 #12762 by rajsuzuki
As some of you guy's and Garl's  may know I uprated my suspension from a 2inch to a 4.5 inch from a company called OFF RAOD ARMOURY
Got a email from them this morning saying that they have recalled the rear trailing arms as some of them had been made with sub standard material .
And as a precaution they were replacing all arms for free with a stronger and better designed arms.

Well as some of know there are a few companies out there that sell badly designed products such as springs which have that common known jimmy lean and still to this day sell them ,

In today's society were money is every thing I take my hat off to them .

Spoke to rob this afternoon and has told me he doing this to keep the good reputation the company has built up in the last 10 years or so and has cost him a great deal of money to do this .....

Ps I do wonder if he going to have them painted too in Kawasaki green ,can only ask he he he.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2011 15:20 #12767 by darthloachie

bluejimny wrote: hmmm them photo's of the broken radius arms dont fill me with any confidance as they look like the ones ive got on mine,

but they arnt KAP ones, also them shocks there arnt PRO COMP shocks as thats what KAP use with there kits

I was told they were kap by the guy that had it before me - they weren't his favourite company

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2011 16:09 #12768 by bluejimny
ok sound, as long as your pretty sure they are kap ones im sure ill be ok, as mine are not kap ones

More
07 Mar 2011 23:49 #12803 by kirkynut
It's a tricky old thing deciding what's best for your Jimny at the moment. There are so many people out there with so many different experiences and opinions.

KAP's specility has to be bodywork and no-one can deny that they are excellent at it. How about getting a KAP truck cab but nothing behind it and get someone else to do a cage and make it a tray back? Could be done much cheaper than the project they are selling there. I would not want a late VVC engine in a truck like that - I would want a twin cam non VVC engine with the old style transfer box with a lever to make the fitting of a Redacted Rocklobster easier! You don't want ABS on an off-roader either!

I don't think KAP should be knocked for their cages touching the body in a roll over - but I don't know the circumstances of what is being suggested as I did not attend Tong and clearly it can not be discussed in open forum through fear of litigation.

Any cage that has no X brace can pivot on the feet mounted on rock sliders or whatever. The welds themselves are all that stop this. Cages that have gaping distances between them and the body don't look right and make the vehicle too big.

My cage, fabricated by a mate who is a skilled fabricator has lugs which attach to the original roof bar mounting studs - this may stop the cage and body from having contact. I don't intend to find out but it's creator made it clear to me it is a tree rubbing cage not a roll cage as it has no X brace.

So my message is don't expect too much from a cage with no X brace in the centre!

In respect of radius arms, the mud is even thicker! The only arms I've not heard issues with now are those from RhinoRays and D+G Tuning. RhinoRays only really caters for a 2" lift and D+G are expensive.

KAP's current arms have barely been in production a few months, so I don't think any have failed. They are made to suite their new 4" springs.

ORA had an issue with a single set or arms failing. Lets be clear about this. 1 set failed. Rob Butler has since bent over backwards to deal with the issue. He has contacted everyone who bought a set and posted on several forums to make sure he gets them all in. He has then replaced them all at great expense to his company and now offers a lifetime guarentee on his current range.

Comments have since been made about them but really - are any others really going to be any better? When your company has had that expense to save it's reputation from being in tatters, are you going to allow any risk of it happening again - I expect not and therefore expect ORA's current range to far exceed any of our expectations. There are a fair few out there now - any failures experienced that you know of Rob?

So my point is, you should make your own mind up on what bits you buy and from where and apply a large dose of common sense when doing so. Also get bits from different suppliers so you have the best of everything.

A cage from RhinoRay, arms from ORA, if you will, and a winch bumper from . . . well there's another argument to start!!!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• gazert
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2011 09:16 #12879 by gazert

kirkynut wrote: It's a tricky old thing deciding what's best for your Jimny at the moment. There are so many people out there with so many different experiences and opinions.

KAP's specility has to be bodywork and no-one can deny that they are excellent at it. How about getting a KAP truck cab but nothing behind it and get someone else to do a cage and make it a tray back? Could be done much cheaper than the project they are selling there. I would not want a late VVC engine in a truck like that - I would want a twin cam non VVC engine with the old style transfer box with a lever to make the fitting of a Redacted Rocklobster easier! You don't want ABS on an off-roader either!

I don't think KAP should be knocked for their cages touching the body in a roll over - but I don't know the circumstances of what is being suggested as I did not attend Tong and clearly it can not be discussed in open forum through fear of litigation.

Any cage that has no X brace can pivot on the feet mounted on rock sliders or whatever. The welds themselves are all that stop this. Cages that have gaping distances between them and the body don't look right and make the vehicle too big.

My cage, fabricated by a mate who is a skilled fabricator has lugs which attach to the original roof bar mounting studs - this may stop the cage and body from having contact. I don't intend to find out but it's creator made it clear to me it is a tree rubbing cage not a roll cage as it has no X brace.

So my message is don't expect too much from a cage with no X brace in the centre!

In respect of radius arms, the mud is even thicker! The only arms I've not heard issues with now are those from RhinoRays and D+G Tuning. RhinoRays only really caters for a 2" lift and D+G are expensive.

KAP's current arms have barely been in production a few months, so I don't think any have failed. They are made to suite their new 4" springs.

ORA had an issue with a single set or arms failing. Lets be clear about this. 1 set failed. Rob Butler has since bent over backwards to deal with the issue. He has contacted everyone who bought a set and posted on several forums to make sure he gets them all in. He has then replaced them all at great expense to his company and now offers a lifetime guarentee on his current range.

Comments have since been made about them but really - are any others really going to be any better? When your company has had that expense to save it's reputation from being in tatters, are you going to allow any risk of it happening again - I expect not and therefore expect ORA's current range to far exceed any of our expectations. There are a fair few out there now - any failures experienced that you know of Rob?

So my point is, you should make your own mind up on what bits you buy and from where and apply a large dose of common sense when doing so. Also get bits from different suppliers so you have the best of everything.

A cage from RhinoRay, arms from ORA, if you will, and a winch bumper from . . . well there's another argument to start!!!

Kirkynut

Kirkynut, i couldn't agree more!
What i do hate is when people who have not had any parts or dealings with a certain company openly slagg their products with no personal experience!

As you say in today litigious society you have to be very careful!

I for one plan on buying ORA front and rear arms in the future!

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2011 09:39 #12882 by biggaz
Thats quite some effort on ORAs part if only one failed, great service!

• rajsuzuki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2011 12:59 - 09 Mar 2011 13:01 #12893 by rajsuzuki
Some of us mud ploggers have been off roading for some time as a seasoned mud plogger i do feel it should be our responsibility to guide any new 4x4 enthusiast to best advice, as some of these companies think with there wallets as to what the customers real needs may be.
when i first took up this adventure of playing in the mud i was miss guided twice and sold 2 absolute dummy cars one was so bad that it was dangerous and should never have been sold with a mot ,this car was so bad that it needed major surgery just to keep it driving in a straight line.

As a more experienced 4x4 enthusiast i know which companies to look for and which companies to avoid like the plague.

So when you get a company such as ora which believes in keeping it's reputation and will always give you honest advice it's like a breath of fresh air in this world of making a fast buck .

I wont comment on other companies i have not dealt with but will advise people on the experience's i personally have had,

As costumers we tend to be loyal to certain brands i.e Heinz,kellogg's,and so on .So when you get a company which treats its costumers as a cash cow they have no one else but them self to blame when there costumers leave to go to other vendors.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2011 13:01 by rajsuzuki.

• rajsuzuki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2011 20:20 #12924 by rajsuzuki
Just to confirm there was about three to four arms which failed not the one.
I'm of the understanding that rob has sourced all the products but is still on the hunt for any that may have slipped the net ......

• Brian.SMC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2011 21:48 - 09 Mar 2011 21:49 #12945 by Brian.SMC
You want a proper cage that does not felx/move. Then get yourself one of these beauties. ;)

Last edit: 09 Mar 2011 21:49 by Brian.SMC.

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2011 22:04 #12951 by biggaz
Thats one sexy cage!

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2011 06:59 #12960 by adamjimny
agreed i want one!!!!!

• Gromit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2011 18:24 #12990 by Gromit

mlines wrote: I have to be careful what is said about products on this website and forum. Clearly by the legal threats I have received it is perceived that it has considerable influence, even if I preface everything with "In my personal opinion".

Needless to say, it would not be inaccurate to say we had an interesting discussion on upper cage rigidity.

You"ve had threats , can't believe it.....

Lets go and torch the place :-)

Being serious though I wouldn't touch their gear with a bloody bargepole after what I"ve read & heard !!!

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds