BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Timing belt change, what to buy and where?

• distantcamera
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2011 22:09 - 06 Feb 2011 22:22 #11139 by distantcamera
Timing belt change, what to buy and where? was created by distantcamera
Hi folks,

No record in my service history of the timing belt being changed (only 46000 miles but 1999) so I'm going to get a friend to change it before it all goes horribly wrong.

Do I just need the belt or do the tensioners etc need changing also? Any other little bits I should get to avoid being car-less due to stuffs going wrong?

I'm assuming my local Suzuki dealer would be the most expensive option (and the only time I ever went there they really pissed me off!) so any online place that I can get the stuff?

I hate dealing with oil and fluids and stuff so I'm going to get my local garage to change all the goo in March when it gets its MOT :)

*Bah! Why do my posts all end up in the wrong forum!?*
Last edit: 06 Feb 2011 22:22 by distantcamera. Reason: Mistook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2011 00:57 #11141 by kirkynut
I would get a new tensioner too as if it's bearings seize it'll be the same as the belt snapping. Don't go to Suzuki though. A good motor factors will sell you good quality aftermarket parts from Blueprint or QH, etc.

Gates belts are good and often are OE stuff.

Hope this helps.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: distantcamera

• desper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2011 00:02 - 09 Feb 2011 00:07 #11204 by desper
hi there, just wanted to share my experience:
always change the tensioner with the belt.

of those belt/tensioner failures and near misses i've seen (around 10) well over half have been bearing failurers. the only lubrication they ever get is during assembly and its a harsh environment, hot then cold leading to condensation and then surface corrosion which becomes rapid wear. my own on an sj (i would guess very similar) had excessive play after only 40,000 miles and early failure is very common across all makes (i have pesonal experiense of volvo,vw,porche,vauxhall,ford all of which have had premature failures), in my belief both belt and tensioner should always be change much earlier than specified by any manufacturer.

ps. if the jimny is the same as the sj its a nice easy job once the rad is out to make some space.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2011 00:07 by desper.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds