BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Special Tracks Diff Eaters ????

• Bannerbrother
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2011 12:16 #11088 by Bannerbrother
Special Tracks Diff Eaters ???? was created by Bannerbrother
Was wondering if anyone using special tracs on jimnys has found that they seem to be replacing the diffs regualy? my freinds seem to be at the breakers constantly
diahatsu 235x75x15 2 front diffs
defender 90 265x75x16 both front and rear
defender 90 265x75x16 front all these in less than 10 months

i was considering some specal tracks (once i get a jimny that is) because they realy do look the business and perform well even, if they are noisy on the road but dont want all the extra unreliablity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2011 14:21 #11094 by mcjimny
Depends how they are driving i would say, with any tyre if it loses traction and suddenly gains it the shock load through the drive train will result in something giving up, that may be a cv, shaft or your diff. If you were cross axled for example and one wheel was spinning away and you manage to find drive all that energy will be transfered in milliseconds to your drivetrain with potentially expensive consequences.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
06 Feb 2011 15:12 #11097 by mlines
As just said, probably driving technique. The "Balls out the window, spin the wheels" approach soon breaks things with the shock loading when the wheel suddenly grips. I see this a lot at my local club where the technique to climb hills is based on the mass of the vehicle and Kinetic energy. They approach the hill flat out, climbing it and jumping over the crest. The problem is that when they land the diff explodes. Not only that, but if you fired a solid concrete block at the hill fast enough it would climb to the top so it has little to do with skill and engineering and everything to do with horsepower and brawn. Put a Rocklobster or even lower into a lightweight Jimny with reasonable tyres and let it crawl up the hill using mind and engineering to overcome the obstacle, thats the way to do it!

I have had the Jimny 3 years and as far as I can remember only taken out one CV, this is despite people describing the Jimny set up as being made of chocolate.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2011 17:04 #11102 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: Special Tracks Diff Eaters ????

mlines wrote: As just said, probably driving technique. The "Balls out the window, spin the wheels" approach soon breaks things with the shock loading when the wheel suddenly grips. I see this a lot at my local club where the technique to climb hills is based on the mass of the vehicle and Kinetic energy. They approach the hill flat out, climbing it and jumping over the crest. The problem is that when they land the diff explodes. Not only that, but if you fired a solid concrete block at the hill fast enough it would climb to the top so it has little to do with skill and engineering and everything to do with horsepower and brawn. Put a Rocklobster or even lower into a lightweight Jimny with reasonable tyres and let it crawl up the hill using mind and engineering to overcome the obstacle, thats the way to do it!

I have had the Jimny 3 years and as far as I can remember only taken out one CV, this is despite people describing the Jimny set up as being made of chocolate.

could not agree more steady away. few times a little momentum is needed but not much just enough to keep a steady pace. im with you 100% on this martin

• Bannerbrother
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2011 18:53 #11120 by Bannerbrother
Replied by Bannerbrother on topic Re: Special Tracks Diff Eaters ????
yeah i had surspected thats what it was, but wasnt sure. another friend of mine has had some on his 90 for over 12 months no problems at all. however he does have to accept defeat a few times more than others as crawling up some of the steep slopes isnt enough, and you do need some momentum. surpose realy it depends on how much you want to thrash your truck.

More
07 Feb 2011 01:31 #11144 by kirkynut
It is as has been said. I have only got Kumho KL71's so never get enough grip to cause issues unless on rock. I know my Mrs can lack mechanical sympathy but even in the Lakes on Rock when she has spun the wheels up when cross axle and suddenly got grip nothing busted.

On mud they won't break anything. But they are not making the most of my Rocklobster. If I had Special Tracks or similar, using momentum would be a thing if the past as I would have grip to crawl up everything and would know not to allow spinning up or I would expect breakages.

If you still can't get up it or across it, don't get all aggressive with it, use that electric thing wrapped in string on the front! If you don't have a winch, get one, it's cheaper than lots of diffs!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
09 Feb 2011 11:32 - 09 Feb 2011 11:41 #11232 by ooky_123
so far I havnt killed anything Major in the mechanical department, and the sort of terrain I drive usually invilves deep rutts, Water with submerged hazards, and steep hills with either tree roots or flint scarpments.
The Jimny's Diamond Backs are IMHO more agressive than Special Tracks in that to get traction they will happily tear at the terrain and dig down. From what I have seen with ST's, they have nice deep treads that donot rip so much as opposed to being able to just have a larger grab due to larger treadblocks.

When Climbing rocks etc, though, I have torn treadblocks off the poor quality Diamond backs

The only thing I seem to be eating is bearings and handbrake cables !!

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland
Last edit: 09 Feb 2011 11:41 by ooky_123.

More
09 Feb 2011 19:56 #11267 by kirkynut

ooky_123 wrote: The only thing I seem to be eating is bearings and handbrake cables !!

Handbrake cables???

How and why???

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
09 Feb 2011 20:35 #11276 by Millduu
Got malatestas on mine,same as st and since November haven't had a break yet.Did do a cv joint with my old maxxis's.My cousin's running special tracks on his -P66POD,and believe me his car gets some serious stick as you will see t Tong and all I've had to change on his over the last 12 months is 2 front wheel bearing,1rear wheel bearing and 2 front cv joints-this is a combination of green lanes,hard packed and soft and muddy.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds