BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Rear wheel bearings

More
07 Aug 2009 23:15 #1087 by colin
Rear wheel bearings was created by colin
Much appreciated the info on replacing rear wheel bearings nice1 :cheer: does anyone know how often I should expect to do this job using the car for only road travel and no heroics roughly 6000 miles per year
thanks for any reply

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2009 11:08 #1090 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Rear wheel bearings
They should last for a long time if you are only really using it on the road. How many miles had the old ones done out of interest?

The things that shorten their lives are the constant use through muddy or sandy environments as it gets into the bearing somehow and offset wheels or wheel spacers increase the leverage on the bearings but in my mind on the road this shouldn't decrease their life by much.

Off road use puts strain on them at harsher angles, not helped with the extra leverage by offset wheels / spacers.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
08 Aug 2009 13:34 #1092 by colin
Replied by colin on topic Re:Rear wheel bearings
had a garage replace one(driver side rear) shortly after I got the car 3 years ago from a dealership (no info about previous owner) both rear wheels have always worn tyre tread on the inner side of rim, I am now replacing the oil seal on the passenger side as it is now leaking, so I thought it would be a good Idea to replace the wheel bearing as I have to take the half shaft out anyway and hopefully fix tyre wear problem,the bearing has a bit of play on it should it have any at all? the car is a W reg (2000 i think) thanks for reply.

More
08 Aug 2009 19:30 #1094 by colin
colin wrote:

had a garage replace one(driver side rear) shortly after I got the car 3 years ago from a dealership (no info about previous owner) both rear wheels have always worn tyre tread on the inner side of rim, I am now replacing the oil seal on the passenger side as it is now leaking, so I thought it would be a good Idea to replace the wheel bearing as I have to take the half shaft out anyway and hopefully fix tyre wear problem,the bearing has a bit of play on it should it have any at all? the car is a W reg (2000 i think) thanks for reply.

tip for future, the spring clip on the handbrake cable is easier to get at once the four bolts on the axle have been removed :cheer: expect each side to strip down at a leisurely tea and biscuits pace of 2 hours each once you have it up on the axle stands

More
09 Aug 2009 17:56 #1098 by Jamie
Replied by Jamie on topic Re:Rear wheel bearings
I've had my Jimny a little over 18 month's now and bought
it brand shiny new with 1.3 miles on the clock and i did my first
rear bearing at 9000 miles but mine is regulary off road

More
09 Aug 2009 18:24 #1099 by colin
as I have not ordered the new parts yet. does the bearing kit come with the perforated oil distributor that sits behind the oil seal

More
10 Aug 2009 05:21 #1106 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Rear wheel bearings
Colin,

No, I do not supply the oil distributor in the kit. I have never found a worn/damaged one when I have done my bearings

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
10 Aug 2009 10:52 #1108 by colin
thanks for info, be in touch soon

More
13 Aug 2009 21:44 #1128 by colin
great news for me,
the garage that fitted the previous wheel bearing still had it under guarantee, realising the hassle he had caused me the garage then decided to supply me with new bearings, oil seals, and oil distributor. They removed the old retaining rings and bearings, pressed the new ones onto the half shafts and, as previously agreed, gave me the job for free labour and half price on the parts (£48.00)which I thought was a fair enough compensation as the car is on axle stands waiting for the half shafts to go on, and the bearing on the passenger side was not their responsibility. so now all is good and well handshakes and understanding, rebuilding the rear axle and wheels on saturday, fitting new brake pipes tomorrow. and as I did not know, new bearings have absolutely no play in them at all :cheer: Col.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds