BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

ProComp spring length, RHD vs LHD?

• Strek
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2011 08:31 - 02 Feb 2011 08:33 #10795 by Strek
ProComp spring length, RHD vs LHD? was created by Strek
Hi all!
I have purchased a 2" procomp lift kit, and wonder which springs go where. I saw a picture of this somewhere, but cant find it.
My car is a left hand drive Jimny (LHD).
I mailed with Russell at Jimnybits, and he told me this:
Hi
It will fit a LHD jimny, one of the front springs will be longer and this spring is for the drivers side, to help with the jimny lean
Yours
Russell Palmer

However, I've also been told on other forums, that LHD jimnys have the same length on the front springs, that RHD only suffer from the lean, and therefore need a longer spring on the driversides rear, not front.
Can someone please explain theese lengths?

Four springs, two the same lenght, one a bit longer, and one the longest:
))))))))))))) nr 1
))))))))))))) nr 2
))))))))))))))) nr 3
))))))))))))))))) nr 4

Which goes where?

Thanks for any reply!
Last edit: 02 Feb 2011 08:33 by Strek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2011 08:45 #10796 by srcars
Replied by srcars on topic Re: ProComp spring length, RHD vs LHD?
The longer spring is to offset the fact that the car will always have weight in the drivers seat and will sag before the rest.

Therefore I would say.

longest spring = drivers side front (front left for you)
second longest = passenger front
other two = rear

More
02 Feb 2011 08:50 #10797 by mlines
The Suzuki original springs are "handed" on RHD cars and "not handed" on LHD cars, people from Europe do not report the Jimny Lean issue. So it sounds like a RHD issue.

Therefore you probably need to investigate further why the Pro-Comp kit has handed springs when you have a LHD car. Certainly the Trailmaster kits, which originated in Europe, are not handed and speaking to their technical department they have neve come across the "Jimny Lean" issue.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Strek
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2011 10:05 #10808 by Strek
Replied by Strek on topic Re: ProComp spring length, RHD vs LHD?
Hmm..
Handed, what does that mean?

So, the LHD set consist of to set of equal length springs? Two short and two long?

)))))))))) Rear
))))))))))
)))))))))))) Front
))))))))))))

And that would mean that fitting my procomp set on my LHD Jimny, would cause a "negative" lean, that meaning a bigger lift on the driver side?

If so, the solving would be to cut the longest spring to match with the second longest in the set?

Am I right?

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2011 10:17 #10811 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: ProComp spring length, RHD vs LHD?
or just make up the difference with a spacer i wouldn't cut the springs as iv been told it stiffens the spring but unsure and to be honest i would never cut it.

just get a spacer to make it match the other side saves the hassel

More
02 Feb 2011 10:31 #10813 by mlines
I would probably end up fitting the longer springs to the Drivers side because, if for no other technical reason, most Jimny drivers like eating Doughnuts.

In a RHD Jimny, the Driver, the Battery and the Panhard rod "pull" all works in the same direction, probably creating the lean.

In a LHD Jimny the Driver counterbalances the Battery and the Panhard rod "pull" so it perhaps cancels out.

If you fit the longer springs to the Driver side it may sit a bit higher but this will disappear once you sit in it.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2011 12:10 #10826 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: ProComp spring length, RHD vs LHD?
i would suggest fitting them & see if it is leaning to the passenger side & find a nice bumpy road take it for a drive & see if it settles down if not get a spacer to fit on the passenger side.

cutting the spring is not the best idea use that as a last resort or if your not happy with the springs contact the company you got them from & see what they can do to sort it out as they might be able to send you another spring to match

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2011 12:32 #10829 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: ProComp spring length, RHD vs LHD?
yeh, fit longest to driver front and use for a week or so, then see if you need a spacer.

• Strek
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2011 17:18 #10847 by Strek
Thanks for all the tips guys!
I will update when fitted.
At the moment I'm without a garage, so it will probably take a while.. Not tempting doing it in the snow.

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2011 18:49 #10851 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: ProComp spring length, RHD vs LHD?
I did mine in the snow! great fun (honest)

• Ranster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2011 23:25 #10976 by Ranster
Replied by Ranster on topic Re: ProComp spring length, RHD vs LHD?
Interesting thread!

I own a LHD jimny as well fitted with "king springs" springs.
The springs, which are made in australia, comes as well with one longer spring but as opposed to the procomp kit, the longer spring is fitted in the back. (according to the installation instruction).

I dont remember which side it is but i promise to give it a check and update.

anyhow, when the stock springs came out they were identical in each side - FR=FL and RR=RL. - what is your experience with a RHD jimny?
i was sure the car would lean sideway after fitting the king springs but surprisingly it did not.

Maybe the longer spring has to do with the origin of the springs...RHD cars as well :unsure:

• Strek
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 06:42 #10982 by Strek
Hi Ranster. Where are you from, since you drive LHD?
Would be apprechiated if you would check which side you put the longest. It's a strange issue, I get the feeling of different answer based on different cars and suspention manufactering. I think LHD = FR=FL and RR=RL originally, but will measure mine when they come off.
The strangest thing is that some say longest spring is for driver sides front, and some say its for the rear.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds