BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Which jimny engine is best?

More
09 Mar 2011 11:46 #12889 by kirkynut
I agree that a 1.6 Vit engine sounds appealing but my only concern would be with the electrics to the dash, the rev counter, electronic speedo drive off the transfer box etc. These all run via the original ECU, so if you change the engine to one with a different ECU or potentially no ECU, how would you get the speedo to work?

There's no cable drive off the gearbox to run a Vit instrument binnacle either.

I know others are looking at Deisel conversions, so they will have the same issue and there must be someone that has done this before.

I wonder if you can still use the old ECU just for the speedo function, I'm sure the tacho issue could be solved or just not used / replaced with another - I'm not much good with these electrickery bits and envy the understanding people like Martin have of them.

In respect of the original question, I'm sure it could be done but the wiring loom for the ECU's at least must be different, so I would ideally want a whole donor car with these bits with it to swap like for like. I reshelled an old Nova in my boy racing days and swapped the whole car's wiring loom across for simplicity's sake.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds