BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Which jimny engine is best?

• Bannerbrother
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2011 18:15 #10225 by Bannerbrother
Which jimny engine is best? was created by Bannerbrother
Alright everybody i've decided im definatly going to buy a jimny as my everyday car and for a bit of fun greenlaning, shooting and do the occasional pay and play day.

My buget is around £2000 maybe £2500 but id like to know which is the best engine to go for (1298 / 1328 / vvt ) and what ill roughly get for my £££???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ypvs jimny 350
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2011 23:00 #10266 by ypvs jimny 350
Replied by ypvs jimny 350 on topic Re: Which jimny engine is best?
hi there the 1328cc is a stronger engine in my eyes and is a twin cam16v were the 1298cc is singal cam still 16v tho And u dont need to worry about the cam belt on the 1328cc has its chain driven from inside the engine away from the mud and water.but i still think the 1298cc is a good engine. and bear in mind the tax class from y reg on tax for year is £215.and be4 y reg its £125 for year .hope this helpsB)

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2011 10:14 - 24 Jan 2011 10:15 #10272 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Which jimny engine is best?
second cam - £80 a year - bargain!

as to which engine you get depends on whether you want a soft top or a hard top as the earlier engine was still used in the softtop for a few years after the hard top moved to the twin cam
Last edit: 24 Jan 2011 10:15 by darthloachie.

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2011 10:27 #10273 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: Which jimny engine is best?
Hard top as he says, after 2001 for cam chain lump... thats whhdst id head for.

However, you will have more choice for your budget at a y plate ish one with a few mods... save you a lot of cash and cheaper tax.... its a toss up to be honest.

• Bannerbrother
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2011 18:30 #10286 by Bannerbrother
Replied by Bannerbrother on topic Re: Which jimny engine is best?
id like to say thanks and cheers for the help guys big jimny realy is a good helpful friendly fourm.
I definatly want a hard top, so will prob go for the twin cam engine especialy if everyone rekons its stronger, as im going to be doing a 40-50 mile a day commute into birmingham so want the strength and reliability. i might have a little less choice in my budget and slightly more expensive tax but you cant win all the time.

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2011 18:48 #10288 by biggaz
Seriously though, see if you can get one with some basic mids...

heres a quick price list..

lift 2-3"? £300-400?

Extended hoses £60?

Castor correction £100?

Panhard Rods £200

Tyres £300?

it massivly mounts up, thats a basic list if you wanted to lift it and some approx prices.. Depending on what you want to do to it it may be much more cost effective to buy a "modified" one, i wish i did now! They go for the same sort of money as standard ones.

Half the fun is fitting stuff and making it your own but now if i was to do it again, id buy one with the above done and put the other money into protection/winch/transfer upgrade or similar.

hth gaz.

• Red One
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2011 19:28 #10291 by Red One
Replied by Red One on topic Re: Which jimny engine is best?
Go for 1328cc Hard top if you plan to use your jimny offroad avoid cars with abs. Your £2500 should buy a pristine car with very low miles!

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2011 19:41 #10292 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: Which jimny engine is best?
If you search a bit harder you can get a 2000 jimny on a w,x plate with the 1328 engine AND the cheap road tax. They changed to the 1328 engine in some hard top cars early/mid 2000 but the tax didn't go up until April 2001.

More
24 Jan 2011 21:16 #10302 by facade
My X plate hardtop is one of the first 1328 twin cam engines.

Cheaper tax, but comes with more rust, the later ones were galvanised, but still rust badly underneath if neglected. (seen a couple much later than mine very rusty underneath from unwashed mud and salt)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• v8dougie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2011 10:09 #12814 by v8dougie
Replied by v8dougie on topic Re: Which jimny engine is best?
Is it possible to "drop" a twin cam engine into a car originally fitted with a single cam? If so what would need to be done? And what benefits would you find?

Cheers

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2011 10:21 #12815 by biggaz
I would have thought it would be easier and probably cheaper to buy one with the twin cam fitted?

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2011 13:46 #12826 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Which jimny engine is best?

v8dougie wrote: Is it possible to "drop" a twin cam engine into a car originally fitted with a single cam? If so what would need to be done? And what benefits would you find?

Cheers

the only benefit is a cam chain rather than a cam belt
If you're gonna go to the hassle of an engine change fit a G16B engine from a vitara, swift or baleno and you get a 1.6 with more torque - Martin does a fitting kit on here

I have the early 1.3 and its done 128k and still going strong - copes with 31" tyres and powering two alternators a roll cage and a hefty steel winch bumper without too many problems :)

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds