BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Turbo M16A Jimny

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
22 Apr 2022 16:33 #243062 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Turbo M16A Jimny
I should have mentioned there might be issues with the trigger wheel pattern. I encountered similar issues as well as noise on the wiring to the ecu from crank sensor. New wiring cleared up the signal and the crank pattern turned out to be the same as for a subaru I believe. My dyno guy started with a map for a swift sport and went from there to smooth it all out.

Sewing machine noises is good. Its a combination of timing chain and injectors dispensing fuel amongst the other moving parts there. Your new ECU can probably play tunes with the injectors as a test routine somewhere in its software :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motleycrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2022 12:31 - 23 Apr 2022 14:33 #243092 by Motleycrew
Replied by Motleycrew on topic Turbo M16A Jimny
thanks, I did actually mention it was a Subaru one, which I must of read from one of your posts in the past. I called the tuner up about a year ago as i was planning the project and was concerned that I couldnt find the exact trigger pattern but he mentioned that he could figure it out easily but sounds like he had a nightmare going back and forth between Link technical support
Last edit: 23 Apr 2022 14:33 by Motleycrew.

More
01 May 2022 18:11 #243198 by Motleycrew
Jimny will go on dyno Tuesday apparently… but I have got a short video of it running.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Soeley, Old Neil

More
28 May 2022 07:23 #243469 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Turbo M16A Jimny

so today I picked up the custom manifold and downpipe

That is one pretty manifold!

More
30 May 2022 14:53 #243514 by Motleycrew
So I am still waiting for the car! Have been promised  either tomorrow or the following day. They have been stalling me all this time, it’s been unbelievable tbh. Will update when I get it. Just got quoted insurance for £400 fully comp with the engine declared too. You would only know the engine was different by the engine code but rather be legit and cover myself.

More
30 May 2022 15:13 #243516 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Turbo M16A Jimny

You would only know the engine was different by the engine code but rather be legit and cover myself.

True, and possibly the fact you bang your head on a large turbo as you attempt to read the number....  

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
10 Jun 2022 05:27 #243656 by Motleycrew
UPDATE
The wastegate on the turbo is allowing to much boost. It should be half a bar (.5) but boosting up to .8. I contacted the Turbozentrum where I ordered it and they sent another actuator but its weirdly doing the same thing. Turbozentrum are now looking into it. On a positive note, the tuner was surprised how much power the engine was producing at .5 before it creeps up. He says its 150 ft-lb (81 ft-Ib is standard jimny) He is going to tune the vehicle for the most low down torque possible. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
23 Jun 2022 06:33 - 23 Jun 2022 19:59 #243792 by Motleycrew
good news that the "boost creep" has been put under control. The turbo is slightly undersized so the exhaust gasses from the engine quickly spool up the small turbine and then the compressor then produces its .5 bar for the intake. The problem then is there is so much exhaust gas left over that it doesnt have time to escape down the exhaust port on the wastegate and then carries on spooling the turbine, producing more boost. The solution for this was porting the exhaust port. This video explains it clearly:

(23) Internal Wastegate Porting (Broke & Boosted Ep4.1) - YouTube
Last edit: 23 Jun 2022 19:59 by Motleycrew.

More
23 Jun 2022 06:37 #243793 by Motleycrew
This is the turbo that may of eliminated that boost creep. Its the next size up from my one.
Garrett Boost | Club Line GBC20-300 (garrettmotion.com)

More
25 Jun 2022 12:29 #243816 by Motleycrew
153BHP and 147 ft/lb of torque

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
25 Jun 2022 12:30 #243817 by Motleycrew
It’s quick but completely controllable. I honestly reckon it should have that as standard.

More
25 Jun 2022 13:14 #243818 by Motleycrew
This is a very safe tune. The rev limiter is set at 6000RPM. You could probably push it more but I will quit while I am ahead. Might put forged rods in the future, but time to enjoy it now.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds