BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

lightweight buggy

More
27 Aug 2021 11:53 #237923 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Re:lightweight buggy
OOOooh! B)

You're ahead of me now... mine's still amassing parts and brain ticking... ;)

Following! 

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2021 06:52 #237940 by Baloo
Replied by Baloo on topic Re:lightweight buggy

OOOooh! B)

You're ahead of me now... mine's still amassing parts and brain ticking... ;)

Following! 

Dave

my brain is still ticking too,  im thinking  front wheel drive engine and box mounted amidship with one 
driveshaft to the front axle and the other to the back axle,  need the smallest lightest  engine i can find, did they used to make a 3 cylinder corsa at one point ??

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Aug 2021 07:34 #237944 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:lightweight buggy
There are plenty of quite fruity 3 cylinder turbo fwd motors out there now in the city car segment.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2021 17:19 #237962 by Baloo
I should have put cheap in my list of requirements  lol
I have just perused ebay and can't find any cheap 3 cylinder engines,    how about mgf  the k series is all aluminium  isn't it,  I know they have a history of hg failure but that's curable, they seem cheap enough ?

More
29 Aug 2021 07:38 #237981 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Re:lightweight buggy
If you use a transverse engine longitudely you've effectively got a centre diff as well, unless you can weld it up?

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2021 08:54 - 29 Aug 2021 10:21 #237989 by Baloo
Morning  Dave
        yes just weld it up like any diff easy peasy  then i have a 4 to  one transfer box with out the cost of buying one 
I'm looking at engines with cvt gearboxes as you only have 1 long gear with no gear changes to upset traction when crawling ,  mgf have one as do Nissan micra and probably many other manufactures  will see what turns up cheap 
Last edit: 29 Aug 2021 10:21 by Baloo.

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2021 10:03 - 29 Aug 2021 10:51 #237992 by Baloo
i went down the farm yesterday to have a rummage through the scrap looking for anything useful as you do and found the remains of a commercial mower that had hydraulic steering  so i nicked that   

File Attachment:
File Attachment:

File Attachment:
File Attachment:

so do any of you clever folk know how much pressure a power steering pump makes  will it work a hydraulic ram ?  
Last edit: 29 Aug 2021 10:51 by Baloo.

More
29 Aug 2021 22:16 #238003 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Re:lightweight buggy

i went down the farm yesterday to have a rummage through the scrap looking for anything useful as you do and found the remains of a commercial mower that had hydraulic steering  so i nicked that   

File Attachment:
File Attachment:

File Attachment:
File Attachment:

so do any of you clever folk know how much pressure a power steering pump makes  will it work a hydraulic ram ?

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
29 Aug 2021 22:31 #238004 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic lightweight buggy

hello guys
yes Dave its Andy here, difflock seems a long time ago now
your buggy looks good l have dropped in from time to time to see how your getting on, i can remember dropping in at yours and buying some seamless tube off you when i was working up in Llandudno , that seems a lifetime ago lol, l know what you mean about finishing one its a struggle to see one through to the end before a new idea takes root in my head but the biuld is as much fun as driving it for me, there's something nice about taking a rusty crudy old chassis and having it shotblasted along with all the suspension and then painting it all up better than new, i find that satisfying,
anyway i intend to strip this one down and biuld something out of it, engine type and position is still undecided, i want a tube buggy a bit like an oversized honda pilot however the jimny like all 4 wheel drives has the engine mounted above the axle with plenty of clearance making for a very tall bonnet line this i dont like or want so its either a different engine thats much lower like a subaru flat 4 or maybe use the standard jimny engine behind the seats so its rear engined, dunno yet still pondering that lol
Andy yeah I hear you about it being a struggle . I've been kicking my project around since 2019 and this summer just went down into the shed and gave myself a good flogging and said I finish my Jimny and do it properly and I'm enjoying it and looking forward to some camping and maybe a spin over to Wales and Scotland next year. So I think we all suffer from the same stuff. Looking forward to what you come up with. 

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
30 Aug 2021 22:22 #238038 by Dirtbird
Maybe some ideas

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2021 08:33 #238093 by Baloo
Replied by Baloo on topic lightweight buggy

Maybe some ideas

hi
   thanks for that  very interesting stuff
my chassis is at the shot blasters now, will post up some pics when it gets back
i have rounded up 1o springs which l think are jimny but of course they are all different colours, dose any one have a list of where each colour goes ?
thanks    Andy

More
01 Sep 2021 09:02 #238097 by Dirtbird

Maybe some ideas

hi
   thanks for that  very interesting stuff
my chassis is at the shot blasters now, will post up some pics when it gets back
i have rounded up 1o springs which l think are jimny but of course they are all different colours, dose any one have a list of where each colour goes ?
thanks    Andy

Have a think about getting it galvanized mine back and the cost is €900 / tonne. Mind came back from galvanizing and the increase in weight at the weighbridge was 100 kg which is equal to 100 x . 90 cents = €90 plus I had to have it shot blasted again where I couldn't get at the shultz chip protect . With vat and the shot blasting and galvanising all in €169 .00

Check it out 100 kg is what gets added. 

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds