BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

lightweight buggy

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2021 11:46 #239074 by Baloo
Replied by Baloo on topic lightweight buggy
it was not baby oil it was baby shampoo   i was wondering how the baby oil had escaped from the bedroom 
baby shampoo is widely used in the sign industry for applying frosted film to windows, perfectly legitimate to have that in my workshop 
File Attachment:

good point with the vitara box  the middle and front axle would always be connected  leading to wind up on hard surfaces
you could just put the vitara box into 2wd and only the rearmost axle would drive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2021 11:53 #239075 by Baloo

Les just a thought if you google 6x6 Land Rover Perentie you'll find some videos showing how Land Rover gets the drive to both axels. Just a thought.
and this guy
gives a good idea of how you could set up the springs.

i will have a read of those lets see whats what 

i had the idea of 2 sj/jimny  transfer boxes side by side  chain drive from the input of the original one to the input of the secondry one so they always work as a pair in unison, that way you can have the first box in 2wd high and  the secondry box in neutral  that way only the middle axle would drive,  first box in 4wd and the front and middle axle drive, add in the second box and the rearmost axle comes ito play,  the front output could run to power a small capstan winch on the front bumper which would be easy to make out off a diff

does that work ??
File Attachment:

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2021 11:56 #239076 by Baloo
i think i must have been a cleaner in a previous life ,  i get a kick out of cleaning things up 

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2021 11:58 #239077 by Baloo
and its on its way back together   

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2021 11:59 #239078 by Baloo

More
02 Oct 2021 16:36 #239085 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic lightweight buggy
That’s it… I’m beat :lol:

More
02 Oct 2021 22:25 #239093 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic lightweight buggy
Lots of shiny bits. It's so much nicer working on parts that are properly clean.

As far as the transfer box idea is concerned, I can't see why it would not work. However as you are playing around with chains it may be easier to simply double up the output of one transfer case using a couple of sprockets and some chain. You wouldn't be able to independently select each rear axle but I don't really see that being particularly useful.

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2021 11:43 #239102 by Baloo

That’s it… I’m beat :lol:

no not really,  im at the easy stage just clean paint and reassemble  not much fabrication going on at present,  once i get the drive train finished  it will slow up  bending tube for the roll cage etc

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2021 11:47 #239103 by Baloo

Lots of shiny bits. It's so much nicer working on parts that are properly clean.

As far as the transfer box idea is concerned, I can't see why it would not work. However as you are playing around with chains it may be easier to simply double up the output of one transfer case using a couple of sprockets and some chain. You wouldn't be able to independently select each rear axle but I don't really see that being particularly useful.

yes good thinking why carry a second transferbox around when i dont have too,  the bit i dont like about this method  is having to grind off the spring perches/shock mounts etc   so i can flip the rearmost axle upside down awful job that lol,

the drive through diff seems the least work ?,    i have a couple of sj axles kicking around  the place  maybe as a side project i will try and make a drive through axle  just to see if it works 

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2021 19:16 - 03 Oct 2021 19:18 #239113 by Baloo
so im not sure if i am going to use this metro engine or not,   i chose it because it was light and it was free,  being free isent really the best criteria for choosing it but hey ho

now what im after is a very low bonnet line to enable me to have the shape buggy that is floating around in my head

ive reduced the bonnet line by a fair amount but i would like more if possible.  on a standard jimny it seems to measure 19" from the top of the shock absorber to the base of the windscreen,
File Attachment:

moving my engine back and down has reduced that to 9"

File Attachment:

10 "  is great  but now im wondering if i should go back to one of my earlier ideas and use a subaru engine, hopefully its much lower being a flat 4
what i need is a scrap engine to offer up and see how it fits,   if the down pipes fit between the chassis then it might be worth it  if not i dont think i will be any better off,  they do sound cool though due to their unequal length headers  and i could probaly exaggerate that by making some more unequal headers lol,  if i were to use a forrester engine it has a hi/low gearbox before i feed it into the transferbox  giving me the low gearing i desire 

File Attachment:
Last edit: 03 Oct 2021 19:18 by Baloo.

More
03 Oct 2021 20:42 #239117 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic lightweight buggy
The sight line with the Metro engine looks pretty good to me. I don't know how much you'd gain with a Subaru engine. The wheel arches are likely to be a limiting factor. You also need to be able to squeeze a radiator in there somewhere. You could put the rad in the back. You need to be pretty careful about air flow if you go that route. It also helps to over size the rad. Both my trials car and the Copelander have rear rads.

I personally find being able to see where the front wheels are is more important than being able to see very close directly in front.

• Baloo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2021 18:26 #239144 by Baloo
the lazy way to install an axle
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds