BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave’s long-term Lil’Bugga Buggy Build

More
01 Dec 2021 20:31 #240432 by X8GGY
Had some time off doing other things, but now back to this...

The front (front) axle is now nearly done, to match the rear (front) axle.

I hope to finish it off on Sunday and then paint one of them. Then I can reassemble it with all new parts, clean, paint and add a pair of radius arms, mount the wheels and tyres, and then start mocking up the transfer box and props (as the front and back will be virtually the same), and that will lead to the initial chassis design - starting with the chassis rails, and developing the rest as we go...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Riccy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Dec 2021 04:17 #240437 by Lambert
They look tiny. Beefy but tiny.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Baloo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2021 11:15 #240456 by Baloo
Replied by Baloo on topic Dave’s long-term Lil’Bugga Buggy Build

Unlike my rich friend Baloo on here I couldn't afford to send them for media blasting... I had a wire brush attachment in my angle grinder! ;)

So the axle tube needs 13" / 33cm cut out here'ish -

Lots more photos in the blog linked above...

More soon...! B)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            lol its  tenner to have an axle blasted, i would  rather drive down to the blasters  and pay the man a tenner than spend £10 on wire brushes  lol    anyway good to see you making progress, it all looks good to me,  i could easily get talked into a single seat buggy  it appeals to me, i have collected some bits i might lay them out on the floor and see if it works, will be 2wd though  and a car engine, keep up the good work                                                                                                                      cheers Andy

More
09 Apr 2022 21:15 #242808 by X8GGY
This project is obviously stalled as I’m incarcerated in various hospitals, but that gives my sick mind longer to come up with ideas…

lilbugga.wordpress.com/

I particularly like this one…

lilbugga.wordpress.com/2022/04/09/dislocating-spring-bump/

Dave ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Soeley

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Apr 2022 04:06 #242812 by Lambert
Interesting idea. Keeping the slides clean could be problematic as they could wear very quickly otherwise. But it has potential. Would you also have a weaker spring inside the tube then when extended you are still applying downward pressure on the tyre beyond gravity to aid tractive effort?

The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
10 Apr 2022 08:33 #242816 by X8GGY
Thanks Lambert…

That’s my original sketch above (for the benefit of others): so you mean a smaller helper spring in here -

That looks plausible too! 

iI’ll add that to the blog and credit you with idea! 

Keeping it clean… pressure washer and add more grease through the grease nipple and smear some over the exposed piston inner tube between outings…

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Apr 2022 09:39 #242818 by Lambert
Yeah. It's like on land rover when they have the spring seats dislocated. There is some downward pressure applied to the unloaded wheel by lever action but not enough so while yes technically it may have all 4 wheels touching the ground they are not all necessarily doing a great deal. There is a video of the principal on YouTube where a defender trys to climb a hill with massive holes in it and fails. Then a locked up series 3 drives up with little drama save wheels in the air and it ends with a blue Jimny just wandering through like it's on the M6. I'll look it out for you.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Apr 2022 09:50 #242819 by Lambert

It's a bit long but it demonstrates that you need traction even with all the articulation. That or you need a Jimny.

More
15 Apr 2022 14:04 - 15 Apr 2022 14:14 #242915 by X8GGY
Just browsing eBay, as you do, and some second-hand coilover springs popped up…

bid gone in 

looking at stock suspension -

the cone with the bump stop on the bottom inside the spring looks to be 2”+3” long, and these are about 5.5” long, so should compress to 2” to 3” ?

(ones is 6.5” long but Mr.Angry will soon sort that 

And they’re 2.25” internal diameter so will slip nicely over some 2” OD seamless tube roll cage off cuts I’ve got lying round, which will make the outer tube of the ‘pistons’ I’ve proposed above…

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2022 14:14 by X8GGY.

More
15 Apr 2022 14:49 - 16 Apr 2022 05:59 #242916 by gv42
I have got a set of stock springs off my 2013 jimny for sale
Last edit: 16 Apr 2022 05:59 by gv42.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
15 Apr 2022 16:25 - 15 Apr 2022 16:30 #242917 by X8GGY

I have got a set of stock springs off my 2011 jimny for sale
Thanks Mark, but the above are the proposed helper springs to go above the standard new (4 fronts) Jimny springs I’ve already got ready -

[img][url]https://www.bigjimny.com/media/kunena/attachments/29464/0A1DABBC-2522-4CFA-8FA1-433A35FD9A3E.jpeg[/url][/img]

With some JimnyBits own-brand “Black Raptor” rear GeeVee shocks which are 29” open and 15” closed so 14” of articulation feasibly possible, but probably not in practice! LOL
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2022 16:30 by X8GGY.

More
16 Apr 2022 12:46 #242926 by X8GGY
Spent this morning learning a “Movie Maker” App on the iPad… using existing photos of the second buggy’s narrowed axles, I’m hoping when I get back to it to do actual filmed and narrated videos… we’ll see! LOL

The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds