BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave’s long-term Lil’Bugga Buggy Build

More
17 Aug 2021 19:23 #237677 by Dirtbird

LOL! :lol: Yes, exact same seat?! Weird!

Yes, remember that from back in the days of Difflock. fella spent a fortune on it... racking my brain for his name...?

This is them  Blitzworld Buggies

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2021 04:46 #237707 by X8GGY
Baloo - Alan Chambers, that was him! B)

Engine and transmission... (Suzuki) motorbike engine I'm hoping... already have the reverse kit in my parts pile -

See below, but front engined...

Dirtbird - think small rock buggy, like these as inspiration...

But obviously on the cheap / a lot simpler...

• Baloo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2021 17:02 - 20 Aug 2021 17:02 #237743 by Baloo
Replied by Baloo on topic Dave’s long-term Lil’Bugga Buggy Build
hi Dave
            that yellow buggy is super cool  i could easily be persuaded not to use a jimny chassis  and build one like that lol,  only reason for the jimny chassis was to keep it road legal but  i could live with trailering it around
are you definitely going to narrow your axles ?  are you planning on using jimny coil springs ?
Last edit: 20 Aug 2021 17:02 by Baloo.

More
21 Aug 2021 15:54 #237760 by Dirtbird
Going to add a little yellow, tipping my hat to your build Dave. 

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Attachments:

More
21 Aug 2021 15:56 #237761 by Dirtbird
This is going to work out well as I've got a second set of Jimny parts, going to try and get the transnational back together first.

More
22 Aug 2021 10:25 - 22 Aug 2021 10:28 #237777 by X8GGY

hi Dave
            that yellow buggy is super cool  i could easily be persuaded not to use a jimny chassis  and build one like that lol,  only reason for the jimny chassis was to keep it road legal but  i could live with trailering it around
are you definitely going to narrow your axles ?  are you planning on using jimny coil springs ?
Yes, determined to use to narrowed front axles, I want a small one seater buggy, and it has to be about the size mentioned above to be able to get both buggys in my garage...

Yes, Jimny coil springs that will dislocate, due to super long shocks...

4x new standard Jimny front springs, 4x JimnyBits “Black Raptor” brand +5″ rear Grand Vitara gas shock absorbers, and four spring clamps.I don’t want too much lift with the buggy being short and narrow, but it needs to have plenty of articulation, so the springs will dislocate at the top, and be held in place by the spring clamps which are attached to the spring cups on the axles.The shocks are 29″ at full droop and 15″ compressed, so that gives me plenty to play with when the suspension is setup during the build…

Lots of unsprung weight (axles wheels and tyres) and a small light buggy on the top B)

I looked at air shocks, rod end links, etc, etc, but this is just a simple cheap build again using easily sourced repair parts, to keep me sane in the garage... ;)
Last edit: 22 Aug 2021 10:28 by X8GGY.

More
22 Aug 2021 12:11 #237785 by Dirtbird

hi Dave
Yes, determined to use to narrowed front axles, I want a small one seater buggy, and it has to be about the size mentioned above to be able to get both buggys in my garage...

Yes, Jimny coil springs that will dislocate, due to super long shocks...

4x new standard Jimny front springs, 4x JimnyBits “Black Raptor” brand +5″ rear Grand Vitara gas shock absorbers, and four spring clamps.I don’t want too much lift with the buggy being short and narrow, but it needs to have plenty of articulation, so the springs will dislocate at the top, and be held in place by the spring clamps which are attached to the spring cups on the axles.The shocks are 29″ at full droop and 15″ compressed, so that gives me plenty to play with when the suspension is setup during the build…

Lots of unsprung weight (axles wheels and tyres) and a small light buggy on the top B)

I looked at air shocks, rod end links, etc, etc, but this is just a simple cheap build again using easily sourced repair parts, to keep me sane in the garage... ;)

• Baloo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2021 13:36 #237787 by Baloo
Hi Dave
              Well it seems like you have given this a lot of thought and worked it all out, cant wait for you to start assembling ,   the long vitara shocks look interesting  i might have to investigate those,  can I buy longer than stock jimny springs and if so where from ?

Andy

More
22 Aug 2021 19:36 #237792 by X8GGY

Hi Dave
              Well it seems like you have given this a lot of thought and worked it all out, cant wait for you to start assembling ,   the long vitara shocks look interesting  i might have to investigate those,  can I buy longer than stock jimny springs and if so where from ?

Andy
I'm not saying it's the best way to do it, just that it fits in with my budget, limited facilities and skills... ;)

Longer springs? - www.jimnybits.com/jimny/suspension.html

More
22 Aug 2021 19:41 #237793 by X8GGY

Loving the egg yellow ;) 

More
22 Aug 2021 21:27 #237800 by Dirtbird

Loving the egg yellow ;) 
Dave yeap just a little yellow. 

Attachments:

• Baloo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2021 09:52 - 23 Aug 2021 09:54 #237807 by Baloo

Hi Dave

Andy
I'm not saying it's the best way to do it, just that it fits in with my budget, limited facilities and skills... ;)

Longer springs? - www.jimnybits.com/jimny/suspension.html

Hi Dave     what your doing all looks good to me,    in an ideal world your radius arms want to be further out away from the diff but then your going to run into clearance  issues when on full lock,   I don't think having them so close together will be an issue for a rock buggy , be different  if it was a highway machine and you were steaming through corners at 70 mph

I was asking about longer springs as I need to sort out  what I'm doing,   l like the idea of standard jimny suspension  just with longer springs and shocks,   I see there is some plus 4"  springs and shocks  on jimny bits for  £279   which I might go for,  undecided at the moment 

Last edit: 23 Aug 2021 09:54 by Baloo.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds