BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave’s long-term Lil’Bugga Buggy Build

• Baloo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2021 21:19 - 26 May 2021 21:20 #235425 by Baloo
Replied by Baloo on topic Dave’s long-term Lil’Bugga Buggy Build
If swopping the front and rear diffs round resulted in a change of drive direction that would be excellent for putting the engine and box in the back instead of one of those hellishly expensive reverse rotation transfer gearboxes that a few companies make, in fact it makes me wonder why they are even manufactured if you can just swop the diffs over ?
Last edit: 26 May 2021 21:20 by Baloo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Baloo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2021 16:10 #235858 by Baloo
hi Dave how goes it, did you decide if you need to turn the diffs upside down or not ?

More
17 Jun 2021 21:49 #235875 by X8GGY
Hi Andy ;)

Just the rear one... not actually tried turning it upside-down yet... still waiting to get The Boogie back after the head has been done... still amassing parts though ;)

Mine's supposed to be starting at the end of the summer... I want to drive The Boogie as much as I can in the sunshine first, and then retreat into the garage in the cold and wet months...It looks like Sunday will be wet though, so I may well have a tinker in the garage ;)

More
17 Jun 2021 21:57 #235877 by X8GGY
Although saying that, I was finishing up refurbishing the front of the shop on Wednesday, and had a couple of spare hours in the afternoon, so I went from this -

to...

The keen-eyed (Brett did!) will notice the left hand one has a good ding in the rim :( So a replacement was ordered from eBay today... when I started I thought I'd be prepping to repaint them, but by the end with a light sanding sponge and a pint or so of Gunk engine degreaser, they'll do fine for a pure offroad buggy... ;)
Attachments:

More
19 Jun 2021 12:19 #235960 by X8GGY
 Speaking of which…

Look who finally came home yesterday… B)

So my mind and efforts return to The Boogie whilst the sun is shining… ;) 

Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2021 16:16 #236081 by X8GGY
Yesterday another parcel arrived...

This morning as I left for a days greenlaning in the Boogie, I dropped it off at Jamie's...

When I came back...

He'd taken the old tyre off the rim, so that I now have a set of four three spoke alloys for the lil'bugga build... B)
Attachments:

More
07 Jul 2021 12:43 #236483 by X8GGY
Bah!... the wife's been helping out in a youth theatre production for the past week, so I've been watching "Texas Metal" on the Discovery Channel. In Series 2 Episode 3 there's a great example of how to narrow an axle - which is what I want to do on this project - so I recorded it, edited on my PC and uploaded it to YouTube, and immediately got slapped with a notification of copyright infringement! LOL :lol:

So it's on my PC for inspiration but I can't share it via YouTube :(

Ah well, if you want to see it, you now know where it is... on the Discovery Channel I mean, don't be coming round to my house to watch it on my PC :lol:

More
07 Jul 2021 17:24 #236501 by Dirtbird
what did the wheels come off ? Was it a small tractor?

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• Baloo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jul 2021 18:44 #236507 by Baloo
They look like standard jimny wheels don't they ?
I have a few kicking around if you break any Dave

More
07 Jul 2021 19:29 #236509 by X8GGY
Yes, standard Jimny 15" 3-spoke alloys... soon to be shod in 215/80 Extreme Trekkers...

Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2021 09:26 #236613 by X8GGY
 Another little parcel…

26 spline side gears came back into stock at JimnyBits… These will be going in the rear front axle :lol: with a pair of short side TG shafts…

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Jul 2021 15:55 #236631 by Lambert
The good people of St Asaph are going to be becoming increasingly hungry as you stock up on bits of Jimny until there's no room in your shop! :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds