BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

restoration after 10 years in the driveway

More
17 Jun 2021 23:43 - 18 Jun 2021 00:34 #235886 by Mr CC
kingpin bearings renewed and all new bolts, completely stripped down the front calipers and renewed sliders, rubbers, seals and bleed nipples, New discs as well. The yellow sleeving is just for show and easier to clean, renewed the pressure pipes back to the flexi hoses which drop down to the control arm, renewed all flexi hoses as well, with new spring clips. used kunifer and 6mm brass tees. made new brackets with galvanised sheet steel. putting a bit of silver hammerite on exposed edges. seems to be a lot slicker engaging 4WD. brakes are now instant, renewed the brake pipes all over, only thing I left was the rear cylinders which I renewed before taking off the road.

Also
new stabilising link bars.
new track rod ends

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jun 2021 00:34 by Mr CC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2021 23:45 #235887 by Mr CC
made a new bracket for the towbar socket from 3mm steel and welded it on to the towbar
Attachments:

More
17 Jun 2021 23:47 #235888 by Mr CC
looking very clean underneath, a bit of touching up, its been almost a year since some of it was painted (hammerite of course)
Attachments:

More
17 Jun 2021 23:49 - 18 Jun 2021 00:04 #235889 by Mr CC
painting all the bumpers with 3 layers of black stonechip then 3 layers of laquer. all new clips, screws and bolts going on as they are shiny and cheap and will last, 
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jun 2021 00:04 by Mr CC.

More
17 Jun 2021 23:54 - 18 Jun 2021 00:17 #235890 by Mr CC
spaghetti time with the wiring, Im studying sound engineering and just passed HND. so need a good system, installing a 10 speaker system, also rewired the connections to the rear lighting and towbar. fitting a 2 din android head unit. not the most expensive at the moment, but will get it all working.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jun 2021 00:17 by Mr CC.

More
17 Jun 2021 23:57 - 18 Jun 2021 00:37 #235891 by Mr CC
new timing belt fitted, as the manual says 80,000 miles, and the jimny has done 82,000. Never fitted one before so very nerving. watched videos over and over, marked and checked over and over, had multiple cigarettes and coffees before doin the 15 minute swap  cleaned and painted the pulleys when they were off.

expressions of joy as the jim started first time after the timing belt. 
and also the engine sounded better at higher revs as well.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jun 2021 00:37 by Mr CC.

More
18 Jun 2021 00:07 - 18 Jun 2021 00:39 #235892 by Mr CC
putting rubber flooring in the back up to the shelf before the footwell, jammed some props in to help it stick to the adhesive overnight. 3mm rubber so a cheap heat gun from argos was essential. 

made an upstand at the very rear of the car so it doesnt have an ATSOD trap (all the ..............Day )
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jun 2021 00:39 by Mr CC. Reason: extra content

More
18 Jun 2021 00:10 #235893 by Mr CC
still more happening at the moment and the jim is almost ready, doing some snagging and fitted new brackets on the habdbrake cables. just some paint touch up and one weld bead on the sill about 2 inch where I ran out of wire.

then its time for the interior, 

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Jun 2021 05:58 #235897 by Lambert
Good work, another saved from the crusher!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Jun 2021 10:34 #235909 by gv42
Very good work on the JIMNY

More
18 Jun 2021 14:05 #235912 by Mr CC
Thanks, theres been opportunities to do things that would just be an MOT pass, but I thought I wanted to do a thorough job, so it takes longer and more expense, but will be worth it in longevity.

More
18 Jun 2021 14:12 #235914 by Mr CC
Thanks, there was no way it was getting destroyed, jimny's are built on a solid foundation with the ladder chassis thats very well designed. I'm old school with cars, the less fancy things on it, the less can go wrong. I got waxoyl, but decided not to use it, maybe too much surface rust inside the box section at this time. I decided to use a cheap supermarket maintenance oil, which I will spray inside twice a month. maybe waxoyl or dinitrol next year.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds