BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Re:Rear diskbrake conversion

More
12 May 2020 12:59 #222169 by ahtr
Replied by ahtr on topic Rear diskbrake conversion
Was just about to type exactly what @Riccy has said. Can push them into those tubes another 20mm.

I left handbrake cables hooked up and connected at the lever end. Connected the cable at the caliper end last, by levering the caliper actuator as if the caliper was braking, and then hooking the cable end in.

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2020 13:19 #222170 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Rear diskbrake conversion
I cannot pull the protecting cover of the cables as their movement restricted on the cross member mount.

But I was able to reposition the actuators on the calipers and that seemingly did the trick! I'm unsure if the actuator needs to sit on the torx head nut or not though. :unsure:

Thank you for this real time Q&A session! :woohoo:

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:

More
12 May 2020 16:44 #222171 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Rear diskbrake conversion
If nothing else works you could think about shortening the metal tubes of the hand break close to the caliper. This way the complete length of the „outer sleeve“ of the hand break cables would get shorter. I would expect that the outer sleeve is still sufficiently long for a proper routing to the hand break lever, even with the axle at its lowest position.

More
12 May 2020 17:02 #222173 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Rear diskbrake conversion
This is the part we are talking about. The end of the cable should be pushed in flush with the end. In the picture yours is not.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
12 May 2020 19:14 #222180 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Re:Rear diskbrake conversion
Forgive me if I was not clear enough. (That's the side effect of being Hungarian...:sick: )
I do understand that you say I need to push the black rubber hose fully into the shiny metal sleeve but it's not possible without removing the mounting bracket from the cross member of the chassiss. There is seemingly a nut (?) on the rubber hose just before the bracket which stops it moving towards the caliper. The available lenght of the rubber hose is simply shorter than the distance between the mounting point and end of shiny metal sleeve!

The cable lenght issue has been resolved by rotating the actuator towards the end of the cable. However having the actuator in this new position it does not rest on the torx head anymore! (and yes the end of the black rubber hose is still not reach to the shiny metal sleeve)
I run out of ideas what I did wrong.:blush:

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:

More
12 May 2020 19:27 - 12 May 2020 19:29 #222181 by HUN

A logical explanation coud be the fact that the axle currently is lowered enough to take the springs out by hand!?!
If so I must say I'm creating issues by doing things constantly in the wrong way around!?! :whistle: :laugh:

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 May 2020 19:29 by HUN.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
13 May 2020 05:39 - 13 May 2020 05:40 #222188 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:Rear diskbrake conversion
I would undo the bolt holding the cable to the chassis to allow you to get it together. You might find by putting that bracket at a different angle helps (it can rotate once undone a bit). You are probably right about it being the huge axle droop causing the problem.

The caliper bracket should rest on the torx screw. With it how it is its like having the handbrake on a little all the time. Will wear pads fast and slow the car.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 13 May 2020 05:40 by Riccy. Reason: spelling

More
13 May 2020 08:50 - 13 May 2020 18:20 #222193 by HUN

Riccy wrote: I would undo the bolt holding the cable to the chassis to allow you to get it together. You might find by putting that bracket at a different angle helps (it can rotate once undone a bit). You are probably right about it being the huge axle droop causing the problem.

The caliper bracket should rest on the torx screw. With it how it is its like having the handbrake on a little all the time. Will wear pads fast and slow the car.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when the actuator/'caliper bracket' is taken off from the caliper then there is no braking force on the brake pads, right? Because I just simply took off and put back in a different angle. It seems to me the actuator/caliper bracket is spring loaded (?) and you would only put the brakes on if you're working against the spring by pulling the bracket, right? So by changing the relative position/angle between the braket and the threaded stud should work? I'm not a mechanic hence asking.
It would be good to know why there is a torx screw and what is it for? Acting like a bump stop?

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 13 May 2020 18:20 by HUN.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds