BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
13 Oct 2019 15:07 - 13 Oct 2019 15:08 #214698 by X8GGY
No work on the buggy today :( Needed a bit of a day off for once!

So a nice lie-in, walked the dogs down the river, a cooked brunch, prepped S200KYS for our day-trip to the Lake District next weekend, cleaned the drive and loaded the route onto the iPad...

Time to commandeer the sofa and watch some car programs with a beer!

More soon though! ;)
Last edit: 13 Oct 2019 15:08 by X8GGY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2019 22:18 #214725 by kirkynut
Good effort. Please tell me how you get to be in charge of the television though. I don't seem to be able to achieve that status.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
16 Oct 2019 08:08 #214802 by X8GGY

kirkynut wrote: Good effort. Please tell me how you get to be in charge of the television though. I don't seem to be able to achieve that status.

Kirkynut

EASY! Put your foot down man, with a firm hand!... Errr, no, she was in the conservatory reading a novel on her kindle with a Labrador cuddles up to her! ;) :lol:

Would you believe!... I've been on to the metal supplier AGAIN this morning, and they;ve said that Tuffnels have lost my four metre length of seamless tube?! They're sending me another length overnight...

On to other bits today then? :(

Bit of an update later I'm sure...

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Oct 2019 08:25 #214805 by Lambert
How does one misplace a 4 meter length of pipe? I would be constantly tripping over it if it were me.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Paul_sterling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2019 09:29 #214809 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
Drivers lost it up his ass.......................

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
16 Oct 2019 16:06 #214827 by X8GGY
Yup. god knows how they lose something that long?!

Anyhoo... today...

I started quietly as the som-in-law-to-be was still in bed recovering from too much alcohol! Youth of today ;) :lol:

So... in a few spare hours recently I've been trying (being the operative word!) to drill some 20mm holes in some bar -

To make some recovery ponts for the rear...

No way they are going through though, even with pilot holes, bigger drill, etc, etc...

So I remembered GV42 had a set advertised on this fine forum, but thought they would stick out to far with no rear bumper, BUT that got me thinking about JimnyBits' tw0-plate construction, and an idea formed in my head (yes, and then died a lonely death! :lol: )

I had these CNC cut to make some anti-roll-bar disconnects up, but have yet to sell any in kit form, and haven't got the time to weld them up into complete bolt-on solutions... so I "stole" a few from stock...

I drilled the chassis to suit and bolted them in place...

You cam just abut see the second hole / bolt goes through both the tow boint bracket and the chassis rai and has a small sleeve on top to stop them been pulled together and clamp it in tight...

And then did the other side ;)

Matching pair!

By now the son-in-law-to-be had risen from the dead, so I carried on...l
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
16 Oct 2019 16:08 - 16 Oct 2019 16:18 #214828 by X8GGY
Back onto the half doors then! B)

Take one length of 4"x2" box section... and add an angle grinder with a slitting disk in it...

Cut in half to make two door top inserts... well, actually one, I've got another length to make the other door, as I noticed one side has the seam in it and wouldn't look good in the door opening, so those two pieces will be used to seal up the cut in the back of the cab..

See the left one? :(

Measure...

Cut. fold...

Trim, insert, re-trim, etc, etc...

One done!

More soon, but greenlaning in the Lake District on Sunday, so unfortunately not attending the Jimny Meet 2019 :( and S200KYS has his MOT booked for Monday morning, so I may be busy soting any issues with that next week...? :lol: LOL
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Oct 2019 16:18 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
18 Oct 2019 08:46 - 18 Oct 2019 08:49 #214889 by X8GGY
A bit of a bargain and a mutually convenient transaction (arrived) yesterday...

Staring at the buggy a week or so ago I figured it needed some sill protection, so I started looking around at the price of them, and considered bending up and making my own... but I figured a quick email to Rus over at JimnyBits wouldn't harm first... so I asked if he had any lying around / seconds, etc... He replied saying he did indeed! An end of a previous run before a small design change had left them with two driver's side bars left in stock... Something that's happened to me a few times in the past! :lol: I've got two different shaped front bump stop extensions on my desk for instance, from different production runs from Redacted , don't know if I've shipped two unmatching ones previously or just had odd numbers in each batch, but it does happen... Anyway...

Rus said they'd need the mounting brackets cutting off and re-welding on the other ends, and the threaded bolt holes that attach to the mid-bar to the chassis brackets would also need moving, and then obviously repainting... not a problem for Mt. Angry the angle grinder!

See? The mounting brackets on one of them are the "wrong way round" as they are both driver's sides...

The mid-bar to chassis brackets are handed the right way though :)

Rus said to me to "make an offer", so I did, a mutually acceptable amount so that I got a bit of a bargain - but some work to do to the bars - and they sold them on without having to rework and then powdercoat them again (which never ends well in my experience), or scrap them / wait for two customers that need to replace one driver's side bar, not likely?...

So a win / win transaction! Many thanks to Rus and JimnyBits! :)

And that will also finish the alomost-full compliment of JimnyBits protection guards under the buggy - front and rear shock absorber guards, radius arm to chassis mounting guards, fuel tank guard, and now sill protection bars B) The only other guard under there is the transfer box bucket I made myself earlier in this build thread as I'm not aware of one on the market for a standard Jimny transfer box?...

I'll cut and weld them soon when I have some more time... B)

BUT... would you believe?! I'm still waiting for that four metre length of seamless tube that the carrier lost on the first delivery attempt?! :(

:lol:

Dave ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Oct 2019 08:49 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
22 Oct 2019 08:03 #215031 by X8GGY
Yesterday - FINALLY! - the seamless tube for the winch rope guide turned up -

Ummm,,, there sees a ot there?

I measured and checked the order and then emailed them to say the order had finally arrived - as the courier 'lost' the first shipment of four metres long?! - BUT I'd got too much? The larger diameter tube to make the insert sleeves where the smaller diameter tube meets the donut fairleads had been shipped as 5000mm (5 metres) when it sgould have been 500mm (half a metre!). I cheekily asked if this was compensation for the ten day wait for a next day service...

Result! :lol: Honesty is always the best policy (my Mum taught me!) and they told me to enjoy the free extra 4.5 metres of tube! That's enough to make the 'X' in the back of the cab B)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

• Paul_sterling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2019 08:20 #215035 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
Bethany seems like a lovely lass :)

Paul.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Oct 2019 08:21 #215036 by Lambert
Way to go Dave! It all goes to prove that nice guys don't finish last!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2019 08:28 #215039 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
I think she was thinking more about the hassle of getting it picked up again, wouldn't be worth it - cheaper to let you have it...

not taking away the fact your a nice guy though Dave ;)

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :silly:

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds