BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
25 Jun 2020 15:49 - 25 Jun 2020 15:52 #223994 by X8GGY

Reason2doubt wrote: Great updates - very inspiring! Love this build simply because it is so unique.

A bit like me then?...

My mum has always said I’m “special”...

And my missus says I’m definitely “one of a kind”

I think they both mean it in a nice way though... ;) :lol:
Last edit: 25 Jun 2020 15:52 by X8GGY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
27 Jun 2020 13:20 #224083 by X8GGY
Sad :( this morning... as the postman didn’t bring my expected parcel this morning...

But then the Hermes lady turned up, with these...

For my old tree wires to run through / mount to... :woohoo:

Is It Sunday Yet?!
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
27 Jun 2020 14:15 - 27 Jun 2020 20:35 #224089 by X8GGY
Sneaked our of the shop...

So the big lifting eyes go on the ‘halo hoop’ above the windscreen, next to the A-pillar bars which is what prompted me to get them now, might as well weld the mounts (those big M16 bolts) on at the same time?... Then the smaller clips on the end of the (Rescue helicopter winch) stainless steel rope just fit through the loops and clip to each side of the turnbuckle which ends up above the middle of the windscreen... The other ends of the cables will clip to the top of the front mudguard mounting plates using the ‘smaller’ M12 eye bolts..

There’s always been some question of legality of driving on the road with “tree wires” fitted, so I made these many years ago so that they can clip on and off quickly and easily, and just attach them for the mad lanes ;)

So to fit them you just have to clip the four ends of the cables to the wing tops and turnbuckle and then stand on a tyre and tighten the cables taught with the turnbuckle... Simples! ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jun 2020 20:35 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
28 Jun 2020 16:53 - 28 Jun 2020 17:10 #224162 by X8GGY
Bit more today... but I woke up in a CBA mood, but after walking the dogs and having a cooked breakfast, I was raring to go...

I started with the tree wires as they were fresh in my mind as the lifting rings had arrived yesterday...

So the cable runs from the top of the front wing mount and up through one of the huge rings on the 'halo hoop' of the 'cage'...

I mounted the ring just next to the A-pillar bar... it's M16 so I cut off the head of the M16 bolt and drilled a hole in the halo hoop and poked the threaded bit of the bolt into the hoop and then popped a washed over the top, then worked out where the thread needed to stop so that the the lifting ring ended up in the right place, and then welded up to the washer to make the shaped mount for the ring...

The idea being that the smaller hook at the top end of the cable (that connects to the turnbuckle in the middle of the halo hoop above the windscreen) JUST fits through this huge ring, so you first clip the cable to the top of the wing, thus -

And then thread the other end through the big loop, and attach it to the turnbuckle, and then when the two are in place, tighten them taught with the turnbuckle...

I then made a mounting bracket for the charcoal canister thingamebob...

And with it welded to the top of the spring mount, I painted it and then bolted the canister in place, and then added a BREATHER silicon hose, that leads up to...

An additional T-piece in the breather system...

Then onto the front mudguard mountings...

Having..

... adjusted the rear mount to the shape of the mudguard...

And trimmed the front to suit... deciding to go...

Level with the bottom edge of the bonnet / top of the bonnet slam, and half way in relation to the headlight...

SO... that, I think, is the driver's side finished!

So, Wednesday, I'll push the buggy out of the garage, tidy the garage, turn the buggy round, and push it back in again...

Ready to start on the passenger side next Sunday...
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jun 2020 17:10 by X8GGY.

More
28 Jun 2020 17:32 #224169 by Scimike
It's been very interesting watching the development of the buggy so far. They say if it looks good, it will fly good - it's going to fly!
The hard development been done, so at least the decisions and waiting for parts is covered for side two, just copy side one. :laugh:
It is looking good.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
28 Jun 2020 18:14 - 28 Jun 2020 18:16 #224175 by X8GGY
Thanks Mike! ;)

Yes, all the hard work is done, it's just replicating it all on the front two thirds on the other side now :lol:

And then the final yellow paint, electrics, new windscreen, replacement clutch and cable, registration. MoT, insurance... shakedown... hmmm, mid August?! Seems doubtful with it being 6 weeks away...? :( It might get it's debut at the BigJimny Meet 2020... with a warm coat and scarf on! :laugh:

We'll see... time will tell...?
Last edit: 28 Jun 2020 18:16 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
28 Jun 2020 18:28 #224178 by X8GGY
Just changed my avatar to a temporary one...!

LOL :lol:
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
30 Jun 2020 15:18 #224290 by X8GGY
: had this mad idea a good while ago, but thought it would suit this buggy build...

Ummm, ok, our friends across the pond in the United States have what they call a "Buritto Box", so when they go out wheelin' on the trails, they shove a Buritto into the box that lives on the exhaust headers, they drive for a few hours, and then when they stop for lunch (sorry Brett! :lol ), they get a hot Boritto out of the box...

Ok, but we're in the UK, and we don't really eat Burittos that much?....

So we need... a pie box!

Ok, the ingredients...

A "Bain Marie" pot, the kind you normally see in restaurants in a vat of hot water to keep the food warm, and a pre-cut cardboard template...

Use the oval to find the gap in the inner skin of the bonnet..

And draw around it...

Drill four holes to mark the extremities, and then close the bonnet...

Use the outer of your template to follow them there holes...

So we have the oval and holes to attack the bonnet with a jigsaw...

And then the pan should fir in perfectly! :lol:

And in the engine bay... the pan hangs just above the exhaust headers!

I then drilled the pan with four holes, and two through the lid as well... two bolts go up, and two go down, the two going up have halfnuts on them...?

To secure the lid! :laugh:

There it is in the buggy's bonnet...

Nip into the shop for a prop! So we get a pastie or a sausage roll (other pastries are available ;) ) wrap it in foil, and pop it in the pie box... go greenlaning for the morning, and then stop (briefly Brett, I promise! :evil: ) to retrieve the pastry for lunch! B)

I just need to tidy up the edges under the bonnet....

LOL :lol: hope you like my mad idea!!! ;)
Attachments:

More
30 Jun 2020 15:33 #224292 by maverick
Are you going to explain to the forum why I seem to have been mentioned TWICE in this crazy idea!!

Surely a bigger "pot" would've contained two pies, or perhaps for getting the Chinky on the way home for the family?!!

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
30 Jun 2020 16:28 #224294 by jackonlyjack

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
30 Jun 2020 16:54 #224296 by X8GGY

maverick wrote: Are you going to explain to the forum why I seem to have been mentioned TWICE in this crazy idea!!

Surely a bigger "pot" would've contained two pies, or perhaps for getting the Chinky on the way home for the family?!!

:lol: :laugh: :lol: We're not usually allowed to stop much!... so it had to be a "quick release pastie" ;) :evil:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
30 Jun 2020 17:01 #224298 by X8GGY
I didn't stop there!... more holes!...

I marked the top recess holes with more drill holes...

And then...

Drew inside a Keithy-brand (c) Bonnet Vent to make a template...

And then used that...

And the alignment holes to work out where to cut with the grinder and jigsaw...

For the two bonnet vents to join the pie-box...

I did modify Keiths vents a little :blush: just to save relocating the windscreen squirters... so I'll paint that little 'triangle' black, and the rest of the bonnet yellow!

SORTED B)

Many thanks to Keithy ;)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds