BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

More
11 May 2020 09:56 #222128 by maverick
It will need to have Yellow wheels, Yellow mudguards, and a Yellow steering wheel. Also, you'll have to wear some Yellow clothes and a Yellow Hat/Helmet and Yellow gloves and get a Yellow Winch Rope .... and don't forget to wear clean Yellow undies.

Jalapeño, IISY?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2020 19:58 #222148 by Me and my Jimny
Well that's me caught up then. Haven't looked for a while so I got to binge read a few pages worth.

Some very nice work there dave, looking forward to more updates

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 May 2020 20:41 #222150 by Lambert

maverick wrote: It will need to have Yellow wheels, Yellow mudguards, and a Yellow steering wheel. Also, you'll have to wear some Yellow clothes and a Yellow Hat/Helmet and Yellow gloves and get a Yellow Winch Rope .... and don't forget to wear clean Yellow undies.

That's great, cheers! I now have a mental image of Dave beetling round Wales in a Banana Man costume! Scarred for life.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
13 May 2020 16:39 - 13 May 2020 16:50 #222205 by X8GGY
:lol: LOL ;)

Back at Buggy HQ though...

I ran out of welding gas on Sunday, so went out to get a new bottle yesterday, Tuesday... Day off today so I was planning on welding up everything on the rear... Nine o'clock came and I said to the missus I was off to self-isolate in the garage for the day, and she said she thought I was going to have a proper day off, which I had said I could do with... But I went home, put my scruffs on, found our eldest daughter working in my study which is on top of my garage... So, I thought I'd better keep the peace and have a quiet day... So I did a couple of maintenance jobs in the shop and then went out to the garage and thought, "what can I do quite quietly" ?...

So I thought I'd have a look at the snorkel... I'm still waiting for the 2.5" bent steel (exhaust) tube to arrive, but most of the other parts are here... 2.5" ID convoluted hose, a Southdown (Defender) snorkel top, jubilee clips and a K&N air filter...

My first job whenever I fit a snorkel... block the drain hole in the air box! :ohmy:

Next, I worked out the angle the hose needed to leave the air box, and fitted a drainpipe elbow into it, mastic'ed well, and drilled and bolted four times...

I then spent a considerable time working out how to make the brackets to support the air box and the main fuse box... remembering the wings have been removed and the bonnet / engine bay narrowed to make it more buggy-like... so it's a bit of a squeeze! ;)

All in though! But... it doesn't leave any room for a battery :( So it's either locate the battery on the other side, or run with just the big winch battery in the rear... still thinking about all this...

The hose is just loose at the moment... I need the bent metal 2.5" tube yet to cut a small piece off to go in the air box outlet to reduce it down so that it fits inside the convoluted hose...

Under the wingtop... you can see the tabs bolted to the underside of the "bent" box section that makes the edge of the engine bay...

I still need to make a bracket for the charcoal filter (?) thing too...
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 May 2020 16:50 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
14 May 2020 13:29 #222225 by X8GGY
Good timing!...

I wonder what it is? ;)
Attachments:

• Paul_sterling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2020 15:25 #222227 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
Lovely work Dave,

Re the airbox drain, have you considered using a vernay valve, so that you retain drainage capability, without the possibility of flooding getting in at that point?

Paul

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
14 May 2020 19:22 #222234 by X8GGY
Hiya Paul! (Where have you been? ;) )

Had a Google, and think that equates to a one way flow valve?

A bolt and a load of mastic is cheaper? :lol:

It's just not worth fitting a snorkel if the air box can fill up with water through the drain hole! I wonder how many people have fitted a snorkel and not plugged the drain hole?!...

Also now looking at the charcoal filter canister I mentioned above as needing a bracket made to support it... it would seem that would need some kind of connection to the breather / snorkel solution?

(Thanks to Martin for the diagram and advice, and Riccy for advice too)

This is the Suzuki FSM test for the charcoal filter... it would seem that COULD also fill with water if the vehicle was left submerged for a prolonged period?... :ohmy:
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
14 May 2020 20:49 - 14 May 2020 20:51 #222236 by X8GGY
The snorkel tube arrived with a carrier this morning, so after tea (8:30pm in our our house as the shop currently shuts at 8pm), I slipped out into the garage with a can of Stella and my camera... funny how bemused wives and daughters look at this point?! They simply don't understand do they fellas?!

I had to check it all lined up okay, didn't I? ;)

Held roughly in place... Yup, chuffed with that... good measuring by me and good bending by Tom the "pipe-bender" on eBay...

It will obviously have to sit forward of there once the A-pillar tubes of the "roll cage" / tree protector bar goes in, but you can see rom that that the angles are ok, the tube follows the line of the windscreen in both plains, and then kicks out a little to match the angle of the Southdown snorkel top, as it's designed for the rake of a LandRover Defender windscreen :ohmy: !

As mentioned earlier this is the intended position of it coming through on the passenger side* though -

Just under the "bent" box section of the bonnet slam area, and just behind the front wheel arch... so we look on target for that, and it obviously needs cutting to length to suit, the snorkel head is only a quarter of an inch onto the steel tube for demonstration purposes... ;)

It's 1.5mm thick walled steel tube, so should hold up nicely to the rigours of T&S (Tight and Scratchy) greenlaning that I eventually intend to return to, with Brett and the rest of his little group... And the snorkel head is "only" £24.50 to replace if it gets broken or stolen by those pesky trees that tend to jump out in front of us! :woohoo:

* Brett asked why it's on the passenger (Alan's!) side rather than the traditional driver's side on a Jimny... I explained that it's because (1) I didn't want it in my line of sight, (2) most other 4x4s are on the passenger side, and (3) it was only after constructing the driver's (my!) side of the reshaped bonnet and "wing" that I thought about the snorkel!... :lol:

I'll probably carry on with the snorkel on Wednesday next week when I have a quite quiet day to save disturbing our eldest daughter who works from home in this pandemic, so Sunday I'll hopefully return to welding up the back "trayback" hoop section of the buggy...

More soon B)
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 May 2020 20:51 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
14 May 2020 20:56 - 14 May 2020 21:01 #222237 by X8GGY
I did intend the snorkel head to be half way up the windscreen / just above the top of the mirror, as by then the half-doors would have let the water in and Alan and I will be disappearing under water!... so I think that would be high enough... time will tell though! ;)

So just after the 10 degree kink in this photo...

Or like this...

(Sorry I don't "do" photoshop, I'm 52!) ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 May 2020 21:01 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
18 May 2020 05:47 #222466 by X8GGY
I gave myself the day off yesterday B)

It's been busy in the shop, and I've been working every Wednesday and Sunday on the buggy, so this Sunday I had a nice lie-in, cooked family breakfast, a nice long walk with the dogs, and then caught up with some other things in life, before having a nice steak tea, a few beers and a family movie night...

Back to it on Wednesday though! :woohoo:

More
18 May 2020 16:24 #222489 by Scimike

X8GGY wrote: (Sorry I don't "do" photoshop, I'm 52!) ;)

Don't worry about it, I can't see where the photos been edited :woohoo:

Your snorkel solution looks neat. I quite like the snorkel head which looks better proportioned than the ones I have seen on the mass produced moulded snorkels. Nice work, can't wait to see it finished.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
18 May 2020 16:59 #222495 by jackonlyjack
Just be careful if it's in line off site
you'll be able to hide a double decker bus behind it

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds