BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

More
18 Jan 2021 14:16 #231926 by jackonlyjack
I was reading a FB post they mentioned attaching suitable length strength spring
Around brake hoses to pull them back into a desired location
Also allowing full articulation 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Jan 2021 16:44 #231928 by Lambert
Land Rover have something like a plastic spring on the front lines on defender.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
18 Jan 2021 16:45 - 18 Jan 2021 16:45 #231929 by Riccy
Looking good Dave :) 

And I like JackonlyJack's spring suggestion for brake pipes, very clever solution to keeping them clear. Llama4x4 will make up jimny hoses at any custom length and for a good price too ;-) 

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 18 Jan 2021 16:45 by Riccy.

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
18 Jan 2021 19:03 - 19 Jan 2021 06:58 #231935 by X8GGY
Thanks All..

I've already got the brake hoses -

Stainless TrailGear ones from JimnyBits...

It's the actual brake pipes I need to re-route to the flexi hose connections, as the wings have gone! 

I've got Alan's old faithful flaring and bending tools to assist with job, so that shouldn't be too bad a job... ;)

What I'm NOT looking forward to is the headlight wiring!... Suzuki, in their wisdom?! :ohmy: , use negative switching on the headlights of Jimnys (and Vitara, Gand Vitara, etc) to save one cable as far as I can see?! :laugh: So when the ignition is on, the three wires to the headlight are all live / positive, when you switch to sidelights one of the wires drops to earth / negative, and when you switch dipped lights on another different wire drops to earth / negative, and you guessed it, when you select main beam the third wire drops...?! So for me to use "normal" (JCB!) headlights is a mini-nightmare :evil:

I've been giving it some thought recently though... I did buy an aftermarket kit-car headlight switch, but I'd rather they worked on the stalk as Suzuki intended... 

So the sidelights can be connected to the rear light wire in the loom by the passengers feet (I did this for the DRLs on the Gold Jimny that GusTheGorilla now has), so they'll come on as the stalk is twisted to the first position...

The dipped and main beam I figure I can do with two relays wired for earth-switching using the two headlight wires... as done for light bars, etc... A bit of a phaff but will allow all the lights to work off the stalk as intended... more on that when I tackle it soon'ish... :laugh:

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Jan 2021 06:58 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
19 Jan 2021 16:53 #231959 by X8GGY
Better get my spanners spinning quicker!... ;)

Just committed to some of Brett's trips this summer *Covid-willing :(

May - local to me, the Buggy's inaugural (group) trip!
20th June - BigJimny Meet
June - the Peak District
July - North Yorkshire weekend
August - local to me
September - Chirk / Oswestry area (fairly local to me)
and possibly...
November - the Lake District (for the day!)

B)

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
20 Jan 2021 21:18 #232013 by X8GGY
Another good day in the garage tpday...

Rear lights finished! The high-level brake light is wired up, and the  guards are back on the SJ rear lights... So, that's the rear finished! The rear brakes have already been done, so I turned my attention to the front...

I made a bracket for the engine battery's isolation switch... just need to wire from the switch to the battery now...

And then I final-fixed the JCB headlights and began fathoming out the wiring, what joins to what... you can see the indicator is "on" in this photo, it wasn't a lucky shot with the camera ;) I ran a cable from the side lights and used that to work out what wire did what in the JCB headlights... So I think I'm all ready to wire up the headlights on Sunday B)

The horn still works! So that was attached to the bracket that holds the front of the relocated air-box...

Oooh, I forgot, I had a couple of interuptions today... the first was a flood alert message from Natural Resources Wales, so I wandered down to the river for a look... it was wide, deep and fast flowing, but well within the flood banks (at 3pm), so should all be okay....? And this morning I had a package from JimnyBits... My co-driver Alan has recently bought Darren William's Jimny!  And his grandson is giving it the once over... so I sent him a set of king-pin and axle ball seal bolts, but he asked if he could borrow my front bearing lock nut tool... But, I couldn't find it?! It's in the garage somewhere, but has had some use and had a wobbly peg, so I just ordered a new one! It arrived this morning, so I messaged him and he popped in to collect it this afternoon... ;)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Jan 2021 06:33 #232022 by Lambert
Looking good!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
22 Jan 2021 11:45 #232064 by X8GGY
That's seven years bad luck for me then...

Just drove the buggy out of the garage to turn it round (started first turn!) to do the front electrics on Sunday, banged a bit with the Lockright (Lunchbox cheaper make) in the rear... I realised on Wednesday that I'd inadvertently cut the mirror remote wires off the loom in the drivers door, so I went to manually move the mirror whilst reversing in and .., CRACK!

Good job I've got a spare...

Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
22 Jan 2021 17:08 #232081 by X8GGY
I was waiting for our Londis delivery truck this morning, so I was playing at making videos again... :lol:

A little video to try and show how the rear mounted winch works... ;)

And work out the basics of video editing and sub-titling...!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
22 Jan 2021 17:22 #232083 by Riccy
Shame about the mirror, but at least the winch works an absolute treat. Very clever and very well executed B)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines, X8GGY

More
22 Jan 2021 20:11 #232093 by Soeley
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
25 Jan 2021 07:00 - 25 Jan 2021 07:11 #232163 by X8GGY
No work on the buggy yesterday...

I needed a lie-in, and didn;t wake up until10:45! So a cooked breakfast and a nice long walk with the Labradors in the snow B)

And then I was working on the wife's car... she's got a Mokka 4x4 and went to use it Saturday to go shopping, and started the wipers to clear the windscreen not thinking they were frozen to the windscreen and covered in snow, so it ripped the blade off the driver;s side and both wier arms jumped on the splines and went out of alignment., so defrost the car, disassemble, off to Halfords for a new blade, and then realign everything so that the wipers didn't smash into each other and swipe straight off the windscreen too...

I then did some ZookBOB tidying up and some orders, and then jumped in a 40 degree hot-tub with a 4 degree Stella or two... :woohoo:

Back to the buggy on Wednesday... ;)
Last edit: 25 Jan 2021 07:11 by X8GGY.

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds