BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
06 Nov 2020 21:02 - 06 Nov 2020 21:03 #229756 by X8GGY

jackonlyjack wrote: Dave do you not have a dremel speed click
You're missing out ;)

Had to Google that JOJ...!

Ah, yes, the original set had that, but this box was a cheaper brand from Argos -

www.argos.co.uk/product/3112562?clickSR=...0accessories:5:327:1

A lot more for your money than -

www.argos.co.uk/product/7113921?clickSR=slp:term:dremel:1:5:1

And a tenner cheaper...
Last edit: 06 Nov 2020 21:03 by X8GGY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
08 Nov 2020 17:17 - 08 Nov 2020 17:22 #229830 by X8GGY
Bit more today..

I'd written a list while on the till in the shop in the week...

A few little jobs to do before stripping a lot of the parts off and sanding everything down ready for paint soon, after the windscreen has been removed...

I started by drilling and riv-nut'ing the mirror guard(s) on... I drilled the top and bottom holes and riv-nut'ed the two in to hold the guard in position to drill all the rest, and then started riv-nut'ing the rest... until :( one of the riv-nuts jammed in the gun and I struggled for a while to get the gun out of it, and ruined the thread on the head doing it... so I'll have to order a new one... I've had it a while though, so it's done a good few in it's life,,, Ho-Hum! So I had to leave that and carry on with other items on the list...

Drilled, cut and shaped the mounting hole for the the other side repeater in the bonnet edge on the driver's side...

I then filled the edges of the (Keithy-made) bonnet vents and the pastie-pan with silicon sealent, and also tidied up the inside inner edges of the bonnet and silicon'ed that to make it neater, again, ready for paint...

I then drilled the front number plate and then the mounts in the front bumper(ette)...

And then the same in the back... Still need to drill and (temporary before paint) mount the two LED number plate lights...

Also during the day I'd give the spade of the ground anchor's mount three coats of silver Hammerite and then bolted that in place at the end of the day too...

Oh, and also drilled and (four) bolted the fake jerry can in place (that holds the winching Quick Strop ready for use)

So that was half the items off the list :) More on Wednesday... Must order a new Riv-Nut gun (one that does 8mm threaded holes if possible, as my old one only went up to 6mm), two packs of sanding "sponges" are due to arrive on Wednesday too, so I'll start sanding everything back ready for final paint on Sunday (the sanding that is, not the painting) :lol: Must ring the local friendly windscreen company too to ask them to come and whip the old windscreen out for me too...

Dave B)
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Nov 2020 17:22 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy, Soeley

More
08 Nov 2020 17:51 #229832 by gv42
I Do like MY /// Your front HD recovery tow points ,,
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
08 Nov 2020 18:23 #229833 by X8GGY
Sat staring at the Boogie today during a cuppa-break...

Thinking about colour(s)... Blue would make things easier, but I've already bought some JCB-Yellow paint...

What about...

Painting the body tub and the bonnet blue, and all the additioanl "buggy / cage" bits yellow...?

What do you think?... :dry:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
08 Nov 2020 19:16 #229835 by Riccy

X8GGY wrote: Sat staring at the Boogie today during a cuppa-break...

Thinking about colour(s)... Blue would make things easier, but I've already bought some JCB-Yellow paint...

What about...

Painting the body tub and the bonnet blue, and all the additioanl "buggy / cage" bits yellow...?

What do you think?... :dry:

Good and bright, if a bit Ikea colours :huh:

Maybe you could get them as a sponsor? :silly: :woohoo:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Nov 2020 20:17 #229838 by Lambert
I was immediately thinking subaru rally colour, a blue and yellow blur hoofing between the trees!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
08 Nov 2020 21:12 #229840 by X8GGY
I quite liked the idea after seeing it in my mind's eye sat on a step drinking my tea... the "sketch" doesn't do it justice... LOL :lol:

IKEA meets the Subaru Racing Team... :woohoo: :lol:

Alan's pointed out (by email, he reads here but doesn't post) that my MOT man won't like the spacing of my number plates...

When it goes for MOT it will still have the original registration, and hence these plates...

Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2020 07:05 - 10 Nov 2020 07:06 #229888 by maverick
Looking good Mister :)

Jalapeño, IISY?
Last edit: 10 Nov 2020 07:06 by maverick. Reason: typo

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
10 Nov 2020 17:44 #229904 by X8GGY

maverick wrote: Looking good Mister :)

BRETT! Your account has been hacked, and someone has left a nice, un-sarcastic comment! ;) :laugh:

More
10 Nov 2020 17:49 #229906 by maverick
I must go and change my password :evil: :evil: :evil:

Jalapeño, IISY?
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
10 Nov 2020 17:50 #229907 by X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
15 Nov 2020 17:13 #230062 by X8GGY
Bit more today...

Started with a little lie-in, cooked breakfast, and then walked the Labradors...

Partly as it was my Birthday today... I'm sure those balloons are the wrong way round though?! ;) :woohoo:

Anyway, the ladies went shopping for even more Christmas decorations, and they spent the day turning the house into a Grotto, as I retreated to the sanity of the garage... ;)

My new / replacement Riv-Nut gun had arrived in the week, so I started with that... and then pushed the buggy across the garage (it's on dollies) and then marked, drilled and Riv-Nut'ed the driver's side guard too...

And then whilst also doing the other jobs to follow, I gave the mirror guards two coats of black Hammerite paint through-out the day...

And also painted around (half of the edge) where the Keithy-made bonnet vents are going to sit and inside the cut holes in the bonnet...

And then went and asked the missus if she had an old sheet I could have to mask off the engine bay while I bed-liner'd the inside of the bonnet... B)

I then I turned my attention back to the door cards... you may remember I'd already made the cardboard templates? Today's job was to work out how to relocate the door handles...

They'll sit in holes cut in the aluminium chequer plate door cards, but lower than Suzuki envisaged ;)

Back to the original door cards to draw a template within the handle cut-out...

And then transfer that to a small square of cardboard...

Cut an oversize square hole in the doorcard carboard template and then align the two templates and draw within the square...

Then cut the door handle template piece to shape and parcel-tape it in place... and then refit it all to test, making sure the handle can be poked through the chequer-plate version when it is made, with the bent bit to resemble a step in the half door... fidly.. but it'll all work...

I'll have to do the same with the driver's side later, to make sure the door-opening metal rod is tight where the handle is positioned...

I'll also have to mount a bar within each door for the handle to be self-tapper'ed to...

It's getting there! Nice to get some paint on it...! In the next couple of weeks I want to sand the exterior down and start painting it, but first need to strip the seats out, mask everything off, and bedliner inside the cab floor first (to avoid any overspray onto the body)...

Now back in the house for this Blog, Bon Jovi and Beer... my youngest daughter fell for all the hints and got me Bpn Jovi's new "2020" CD for my birthday... now it's time for a hot shower and another beer in it (!) and then a nice piece of steak and all the trimmings, and a nice bottle of Faustino, my favourite red wine, which arrived in the post from our eldest daughter who couldn't get home for the weekend due to the English lockdown... but we'll chat to her later over Facetime... a Happy Birthday indeed :woohoo:

Cheers All! ;)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Riccy

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds