BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
28 May 2020 17:12 - 28 May 2020 17:20 #222939 by X8GGY
Bugger... stood at my till thinking about the buggy... what’s missing from the rear?

A blummin’ foglight ?!

Bah...

I’ll have to add one just below the offside rear light cluster?...

They’re SJ / Samurai rear lights and don’t feature fog lights :(
Last edit: 28 May 2020 17:20 by X8GGY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
28 May 2020 21:28 #222949 by X8GGY
Finished in the shop, had tea with the family, and then grabbed a(nother) beer and wandered into the garage..

The 2" rear lift springs from JimnyBits turned up this morning, next day delivery... impressive!

And I found a pair of LED fog lights and reverse lights from a previous project (the fastback Jimny) in the garage...

So the fog light is an easy fix, just a bracket here'ish...

And I figured the other one would make a good...

... a good centre hi-level brake light up here at the back of the small winch rope loop, on the back of the halo-hoop..

I decided not to use the reverse lights, as either reverse lights or work lights over the winch area, as I don't plan on greenlaning in the dark...
Attachments:

More
28 May 2020 21:47 #222953 by Max Headroom

X8GGY wrote: Holy cow, what a load of bull, pull the udder one, I’m sure I’ve herd that before?! :lol:

No - seriously - she's looking great - I'm fascinated watching how these projects evolve - wish I had more time not to mention more skills!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
30 May 2020 15:31 #223033 by X8GGY
Another day, another few deliveries...

New fuel filler and return hoses, old ones were a little too short and very old and floppy :lol:

Matching new jubilee clips

Square nuts for the winch mounts... had the right length bolts “in stock” but can I find the original square nuts that came with the winch?! :laugh:

Is It Sunday Yet? Out to do some more tomorrow :woohoo:
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
31 May 2020 16:50 - 31 May 2020 16:52 #223073 by X8GGY
Not much done today...

I started early, and hence quietly. by fitting the fuel tank hose(s)... errr, just the return one then? As I'd mis-measured / ordered the filler hose.. so another one is on the way... :lol:

I used the 2" offcut though to make an anti-rub end for the cable guide...

And then the missus grabbed me and wanted two blinds trimming to size and hanging, a mirror screwing to the wall, and a hidden-mount shelf putting up... :lol: They've been re-decorating the daughters bedrooms, so I couldn't really say No? :ohmy:

So, when I eventually got back to the garage...

I thought I'd have a play with the new toy... errr, tool...

So I bolted down the winch solenoid pack to it's mount, and then tidied all the cables, shortening the positive and negative battery cables, ready to connect to the switch(es)...

Unfortunately, at the front, I've misjudged the size of the standard battery cables, so I've ordered some more crimp connectors hopefully ready for Wednesday... But these are the negative cables, so one to the back winch battery, one to the vehicle's chassis ground, one to the original engine bay wiring (currently bare need a 16mm2 crimp for that) and one over to the engine battery, eventually, when it gets a cradle mount on the passenger side...

And these are the positive cables, so one to the back winch battery (switch), one over to the engine battery, and another two bare 16mm2 original engine bay wires that I also need crimp terminals for..

They'll all connect up in these two connector terminal boxes... soon... I'll paint the bracketry this week before Wednesday, and hopefully the new crimp terminals will also appear in the post on Wednesday...? Get them all bolted in, and hopefully test-fire the engine... it hasn't run for a good while! :ohmy: !
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 May 2020 16:52 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
31 May 2020 17:00 #223074 by X8GGY
Here's the cable crimp tool in action if it helps anyone?...

Heat shrink sleeve placed over the cable and then aprrox 12mm of cable sheath removed...

Crimp terminal slipped over the exposed copper cable...

Crimp tool used to make the...

... crimp B)

and then...

Hot air gun used to heat the heat-shrink sleave...

Et'Voila! ;)
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 May 2020 17:48 #223076 by Lambert
Makes my effort with my cargo net to shame and you had a quiet day too! I must try harder.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
31 May 2020 18:41 #223080 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
Thanks for sharing your build on this forum. Most of my modifications based on and inspired by your work I seen here. I get enlightened every time when I'm reading your threads so keep up the good work! ;)

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
01 Jun 2020 15:34 #223120 by X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
02 Jun 2020 10:43 #223143 by X8GGY
That was quick! Good old Royal Mail operating well during this pandemic!

Ordered Sunday when I realised what I was short of... despatched Monday, delivered TUESDAY!

Fitted Wednesday? ;)
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
02 Jun 2020 21:10 - 02 Jun 2020 21:10 #223174 by X8GGY
Yesterday (Monday)...

I gave the electrical component mountings a first coat of red smoothrite paint...

This afternoon, I had a couple of hours off, so I crimped the connectors on the rear of the battery cables...

Note - I found the solenoid remote control too! B)

And then, having given the mounts a second coat of paint early in the afternoon, I bolted them in, crimped the rest of the cables and began connecting them up...

Closeup! So the left connector is the negative / earth and has four cables clamped in two pairs either side -

1) The original earth cable in the engine bay
2) An earth to the body
3) The earth cable running to the rear winch battery
4) An earth ready to run across to the engine battery on the passenger side...

And on the right, the right connector also has four cables clamped in two pairs either side -

1) The positive feed to the rear winch battery to charge it (when the switch is ON)
2) A positive ready to run across to the engine battery on the passenger side...
3) Two wires that run into the original main fuse box in the engine bay...

That done, I had a few minutes spare, and started to ponder the excess strap on the spare wheel Y-strap...?

Y-strap with excess strap, scissors (!), blow torch (!!) and wide mole grips?.... :ohmy:

No going back now then?!

Heat up the wide mole grips...? :blink: :blink:

And then clamp them on the end of the cut-off end... and hope for the best?!

Awesome B) a fused joint on the end to stop it fraying...?!

That;s better! B)

Cash up the shop, tea and a few beers, write this update... and all ready for another day of tinkering in the garage tomorrow.. Wednesday off ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jun 2020 21:10 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
03 Jun 2020 13:30 #223221 by X8GGY
Bit more today...

The paint had dried on the switch plates, so I reassembled that and attached some of the cables...

Te switched side of the batteries are connected, but the two going to the actual battery haven't been fitted yet, for a couple of reasons - there's still welding going on on the vehicle, and, I've run out of heat shrink! :lol: It's been despatched though, so I can make up the cables one afternoon later in the week... ;)

It being "quite quiet" Wednesday (eldest daughter working in my study above me), I thought I'd change the rear springs (you may remeber the stance of the buggy looked wrong one I pulled it out of the garage for a look the other day),.,

I started with a reference measurement... 7 3/4" to the top of the rear mudguard plate...

Rear spring out - the one on the right is what was fitted, that's a new front spring fitted to the rear to give around 1.5" of lift... the spring on the left is a JimnyBits 2" lift spring - you can see they are the same length, but much meatier on the lift spring...

Bugger! The same amount of lift with the lift spring in? :(

Ahhh... but on the passenger side Ihave 9" >! :(

Hmmm...

Lying underneath for a look... notice how tight the coils are compared to...

... the passenger side rear...

Must be the weight of the big winch battery in the offside corner of the rear of the chassis?

Hmmm...

A quick rummage through my old stock, and I found one remaining 15mm spring spacer.. ! And luckily, when I ordered the wrong diameter fuel filler hose, I also therefore ordered the wrong diameter jubilee clips, so they were used to clamp the spring spacer to the top of the offside spring...

That's better! B) 9" on the offside too... all sorted!

So I then reassembled everything - spring clamps, rear shocks, and then...

I could feel my sugars were dropping a little low, a quick prick test confirmed, so I had a cuppa and a KitKat to bring them back up again...

I then drilled through the X of the "rollcage" brace and the box section top of the little "wadig wall", and added a spacer over the big long bolt...

epeat for the other side, and then (test) bolt the spare wheel strap in place :)

Yup, happy with that, what's next then...?

LOL :lol: Soo, at two o'clock I decided to knock off early, write this, and then head for a shower and take the dogs out for a nice long walk... B)

So Sunday's a welding and grinding day! ;)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds