BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

More
27 May 2020 09:34 #222864 by Reason2doubt
Looks brilliant! Slowly getting there but it will be worth it.

What are your plans for the enlarged window areas? Will they be left open or maybe some of that mesh-type stuff they put in rally car windows?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
27 May 2020 12:49 #222873 by X8GGY
Lost the image onto the previous page!

Here it is again -

B)

Garage tidied!

And he's back in the man cave! ;)
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
27 May 2020 16:48 #222900 by X8GGY
Carried on in the afternoon...

My eldest daughter (who works from home in my study above my garage, hence "quite quiet" Wednesdays :lol: ) was having her lunch at one, so I...

... marked up an old sheet of shop shelving backing...

And cut it to length... Hmmm, but why that gap in the middle? :blink:

Ahh... :lol: my home bender will only do 24" !!! :woohoo:

Bent to go around the box section cross piece... this is the small wading wall of the cab...

It's the same height as the half doors, so that the buggy can still ford streams and rivers... to a depth of 30" (75cm) if I remember correctly? So about the depth of a full tyre... (enough for me!) :lol:

Next the spare wheel and it's ratchet Y-shaped strap come in...

As I'm thinking of drilling right through so that the ends of the strap can bolt onto the end a bolt that goes through the cage, then a spacer and through the box section top of the wading wall to help give it some rigidity...

I then made some filler plates to enclose the winch rope tube, again it's all got to be waterproof, so that will be welded to the floor and then seam-sealed all round it (before the bed-liner gets sprayed everywhere ;) )

And then made a bracket to hold the winch tube half way along it's length, just under the front of the passenger (Alan's!) seat ;)

I then welded it in place and went for a cuppa to let it cool....
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
27 May 2020 17:05 #222902 by X8GGY
... after it had cooled...

I unspooled the winch rope, took the black outer covering off the end (as it's a bit too tight for the donut fairlead), I then threaded a small winch block (a polyurethane body lift block! :lol: ) all the way to the end...

And then wired the winch up temporarily and pulled it through the tube (with the MIG welding wire by hand first)...

Onto the drum! So a slightly weird setup... the winch is in the back, and works through the tube that runs under the passenger (Alan's!) seat, and out the front -

So to winch forward you do the same as a regular setup, only that the winch is in the back, not at the front...

The added benefit of this is...

You can winch backwards by pulling a loop off the drum and inserting the snatch block (off it's mount above the huge hawse fairlead)...

So as you wind the winch back in, it pulls the vehicle BACKWARDS! :woohoo:

So the bottom rope is stationary, as the winch block is on the donut fairlead at the front, and the top rope winds back onto the drum...

AND...

The small loop on the back of the "halo hoop" that runds around the roofline can be used to either support the buggy if things are getting tippy, or god-forbid self-right the buggy if it has a "little lie-down"...

So a loop of rope is taken off the front of the drum before it disappears into the donut fairlead at the back of the winch rope tube and up and through the little hoop at the top / back, and the snatch block again inserted into the loop...

So hopefully every eventuality solved with the use of just ONE winch at the back of the vehicle, where it also spreads the weight out and over the back wheels...

This isn't my idea, sadly, this is all nspired by Rob Butler from the OffRoad Armoury who did this with his Assassin Jimny Buggy some years agol B)

I just used it as "inspiration", errr, yes, ok, I copied his idea ;)
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
27 May 2020 17:19 #222904 by Riccy
who's been a busy boy then B)

loads of progress there mate, and even if the 3-way winch is copied, I will always think of it as your idea!
It looks very versatile and I like it a lot, but will it not crush the black bush on the front donut if your pulling something heavy from the back? No problem if its just yourself, but you usually are pulling another vehicle when using rear winch from what Ive seen

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 May 2020 17:59 #222907 by Lambert
Vector winching is the future it really is. Mini ibex right here.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
27 May 2020 21:03 #222914 by X8GGY

Riccy wrote: who's been a busy boy then B)

loads of progress there mate, and even if the 3-way winch is copied, I will always think of it as your idea!
It looks very versatile and I like it a lot, but will it not crush the black bush on the front donut if your pulling something heavy from the back? No problem if its just yourself, but you usually are pulling another vehicle when using rear winch from what Ive seen

I've been using the big orange "winch balls" for years, so I suspect the same polyurethane but in a 2" thick smaller (bodylift block!) will work the same... I needed something to protect the donut fairlead when the winch hook was up against it... hopefully the winch will be just for self-recovery this time around, rather than resuing stricken Discos on punch hunts?! :lol:

Although I do seem to have been offered a return to Hawkstone next year??? ;) Not sure what category they'll put me in though?! Hence de-badging it? ;) :lol:

Final photo from today -

Handsome b*st*rd isn't it?! :lol:

Ordered 2" JimnyBits rear lift springs today, they'll be here tomorrow, and will fit them on the next "quite quiet" Wednesday ;)
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
27 May 2020 21:11 #222916 by X8GGY

Reason2doubt wrote: Looks brilliant! Slowly getting there but it will be worth it.

What are your plans for the enlarged window areas? Will they be left open or maybe some of that mesh-type stuff they put in rally car windows?

Thanks ;) Yes, slowly getting there... Brett emailed the rest of the group today and said that we've basically written off the rest of 2020, so that takes the pressure off me somewhat, so I've still got the winter to finish things off, and get out in the autumn next year...? If and when things return to (the new) normal...

Rally netting?.... NOOOoooo... do you need netting when you wind your windows down to enjoy the fresh air and views of the countryside? There you go then! :lol: Answered your own question, but I can see me wearing a full face helmet for some 'lanes?! :woohoo:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
27 May 2020 21:15 - 27 May 2020 21:18 #222917 by X8GGY

Lambert wrote: Vector winching is the future it really is. Mini ibex right here.

Thanks Lambert...

All credit to Rob Butler of the ORA though!... we're not worthy!
Last edit: 27 May 2020 21:18 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
27 May 2020 21:26 - 27 May 2020 21:27 #222918 by X8GGY
Last post then I'm off to bed!

I was really missing this today -

With the gap between the donut fairlead and the winch drum being so short -

The winch rope guide handle would have been really handy today! Only it's gone for zinc plating! :lol:
Last edit: 27 May 2020 21:27 by X8GGY.

More
28 May 2020 11:16 #222921 by Max Headroom
She's lookin' good Dave!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
28 May 2020 12:36 #222927 by X8GGY
Holy cow, what a load of bull, pull the udder one, I’m sure I’ve herd that before?! :lol:

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds