BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
09 Oct 2019 19:26 #214524 by X8GGY
Bit more today...

To answer Paul's question first though... the idea of the winch rop running through the tube to the front is to try and keep it as simple as possible... as you'll see in this update there is in fact only one slight bend in the tube, in fact it's just a kink! One straight paralled run straight out to the front, no complications of up or down bends to give more room to the passenger.... it's quite comfortable even for my six foot frame ;)

Ok... on to the photos!

As indicated yesterday, I started the day with the hole saw... and cut through the back of the cab.... I used a piece of 6mm steel plate behind to avoid hitting the petrol tank!!! ;)

And then cut down to the holes...

And then carefully worked out the least angle of bend I could then get away with...

Just one kink to bend when the seamless tube eventually turns up? No sign of it today :(

I then disassembles the front seats... I took loads of photos but won't bore you with the process (?)

Stripped the squab and backs off...

And then re-bolted the subframes back in, braced them with some flat bars bolted in, checked they still slid forwards and backwards properly, and then took them out again and attacked them with Mr. Angry (the angle grinder), and then made up mounts to correspond with the four holes under the new bucket seats, and welded everything up...

And then bolted them in! Hooge! :lol:

And then pushed it outside again for a look, a photo, and to sweep up ;)

Just need to dis-assemble them, paint the subframes, re-assemble and store them safe somewhere whilst I continue building the rest of the buggy...

More soon! B)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Oct 2019 20:12 - 09 Oct 2019 20:13 #214525 by Lambert
Might I offer a suggestion on the winch tube issue, could you make a sleeve section that is able to telescope into itself in the event of a collision, that way you don't have the risk of a rigid tube deflecting up into the passengers legs?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 09 Oct 2019 20:13 by Lambert.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
10 Oct 2019 05:42 - 10 Oct 2019 05:43 #214535 by X8GGY
The winch rope tube has to be one simple smooth run so that the rope can run freely with no snags... it would be hard to make a telescopic section in it as there would then be edges for the rope to snag on...?

I have ordered bigger diameter sections so that the main tube can be slotted into the back of the donut fairlead mountings and then be bolted up (nuts welded to the bigger diameter tube no allow nolts to hold the inner smaller diameter tube) to clamp it in place.

The tube is inboard of the rear, and on the front runs along the top of the nearside chassis rail...?

I'll nip out tonight with a beer and stand, stare and ponder... :(

Dave
Last edit: 10 Oct 2019 05:43 by X8GGY.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Oct 2019 06:02 #214537 by Lambert
As long as the inner end of the smaller tube is sufficiently rounded and smooth like the donut fairlead, but smaller obviously then the rope will still run freely. And being seamless the two tubes will run freely together. It needs only be a meter of the smaller size with an intrusion of 150mm into the larger one to allow enough space for a catastrophic impact. Think like a collapsible steering column. If it saves a passenger from being impaled it has a value.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Oct 2019 06:14 #214538 by Lambert
Also if the small tube is at the front then in most circumstances the rope will only be under power when pulling into the larger tube and therefore down the lip not against it. And that also means that normally the rope is fed out into someone's hands who could feel if there was a problem should there be one. Also also that rope is going to be fairly central in the tube under tension because of the straight ish run so again binding is minimal.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
10 Oct 2019 11:19 #214555 by X8GGY
We’ve also being discussing on our group’s WhatsApp chat...

Also looking at possibly doing the main straight run in the same plastic waste pipe I’ve been using for testing and mocking up...

The other suggestion was to slit the tube longways at the front to act as a crumple zone...

And a few of us said they’d be more to worry about in a big front end collision!!!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Oct 2019 13:12 #214563 by Lambert
In that case what about some blue water pipe, it's thicker walled so will take longer to wear through on the bends but is more flexible than waste pipe so won't need joints to get up to the winch. Comes in 25mm id which should be big enough and you can get bulkhead fittings for the firewall.

More
10 Oct 2019 15:00 #214565 by Me and my Jimny
Sorry if this is a silly suggestion, but what about running the tube along the chassis under the body so that it never has to enter the body? Or would that make it too low if kept straight?

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
10 Oct 2019 15:19 - 10 Oct 2019 15:23 #214567 by X8GGY
This is all getting beyond my skill level :(

I'm working at home in my garage... ok, I've got a pipe bender,decent mig welder, big pillar drill, chop saw and "Mr. Angry" my trusty angle grinder... but I'm just a bobbyist making things up as I go along....

I wasn't anticipating these constructive comments, I'm having to re-think it all now, even though I've started and the materials are ordered :(
Last edit: 10 Oct 2019 15:23 by X8GGY.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Oct 2019 15:47 #214568 by Lambert
Sorry. I wasn't wanting to make it difficult for you just making some observations I hoped might offer a different view. It's your buggy you must be happy with it and not just build what some random farmer says via the internet.

The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
10 Oct 2019 15:48 #214569 by Me and my Jimny
Sounds like every car or home DIY project I've ever done Dave, except you're much better equipped

We're just interested in your ingenuity, but you'll have to forgive us chipping in every now and then. But don't feel you have to justify your thoughts around any suggestion, it's your project
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
11 Oct 2019 14:32 #214617 by X8GGY
LOL :lol: Thanks guys (hug emoji needed here)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds