BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

More
03 May 2020 20:43 #221858 by RainerK
Hello,

A great build! Your diagram shows the electric consumption part. For the charging I installed a Cyrix battery combiner. This works nicely so far and makes sure that the starting battery is charged first and after the starting battery is charged, then both batteries are connected and both are charged.

All the best from Vienna!
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
03 May 2020 21:27 #221859 by X8GGY
Thanks RainerK!

Yes, I ran a T-Max Split Charge on my last Jimny project, but wanted everything as simple as possible on this build ;)

Cheers!
Dave

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
05 May 2020 20:08 #221922 by X8GGY
Just after lunch today a courier turned up...

...with my new Hi-Lift Jack... I let the old one go with the Jimny formerly known as S200KYS...

One of our members of staff that had been off sick for two weeks was due in at two, and I therefore wasn't due back until six, so I thought I'd have a few hours pottering in the garage...

I had a rummage through the metal box (in the corner of the garage under the bench) and surfaced with a round piece of 4mm steel plate that I'd bought a few of to make a ZookBOB product but never got round to, so I up-cycled it... I sat the foot of the H-Lift on it and drew around it... marked the position of the three holes in the foot, and where the middle of the main shaft sat, I marked a centreline and then a semi-circle to be hole-sawed out...

Hole-sawed, bent, drilled, and three cut-off bolts slipped through the holes as pegs to hold the base / foot of the jack...

The underside, the heads of the bolts welded on the back, along with a strengthening gusset...

So the pegs fit through the base / foot of the jack...

Welded around the X-brace diagonal...

And at the top the other half of one of the cut off bolts is welded into a drilled hole in the same diagonal brace, and then a plain nut threaded on and tacked underneath as a spacer... the shaft of the jack can then be clamped to it's top mount, with a nut for now whilst I wait for the wing nuts to arrive...

Mounted behind the seats, it's then just a matter of un-doing the wing nut and pulling the jack off it's mounts and out of the passenger-side half-door, easy access...

It needs a locking mechanism yet, I'll sort that when the padlocks arrive,,,

B)

Still some time left in the afternoon...

So (being as the welder was out and running) I fitted my pool balls! The guy who bought the Jimny formerly known as S200KYS didn't like them?! So I gave him the gear knob from the buggy and ordered a SJ/Samurai transfer from an Indian supplier on eBay, as Maritu still produce them over there, and so I had my balls back... the gear knob (5 gears) simply screwed on to replace the one I'd sent him, but as the transfer box is a standard Jimny t-box but sat in a full cradle, the (4x4) transfer box pool ball wouldn't fit :( So I went into the stores and came out with a 12mm metric fine bolt and cut the thread off it and welded it to the top of the transfer box lever... Sorted! B)

I do like having my balls in my hands... :woohoo:

I finished the afternoon...

... by welding up the spare wheel / tyre mounting tray, including the mount for the ratchet Y-strap, and then ground and sanded it to perfection...

That's most of the back bits ready for assembly? I'll have a good ponder tomorrow before starting... some bits are under other bits, so they need doing in some kind of order... ;)
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 May 2020 04:19 #221928 by Lambert
Isn't it technically a 6 speed, it having reverse? :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
06 May 2020 04:40 #221931 by X8GGY

Lambert wrote: Isn't it technically a 6 speed, it having reverse? :laugh:

:lol:

"New balls please!" :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
06 May 2020 09:51 #221937 by X8GGY
Another day, another weird creation, and another teaser... ;)

What's this then?...

Dave ;)
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
06 May 2020 13:45 #221944 by X8GGY
Early bath :( Our eldest daughter is working from home, in my study which is above my garage, and she's complained to her mum - SWMBO - that I'm making too much noise and she can;t concentrate on her work.. So to keep the peace I've packed up and going to walk the dogs... Next Wednesday she'll have to move to another room in the house... it's big enough

That odd looking thing above in the last post is to sit between the drum of the winch and the donut fairlead so that I can influence the rope to go where I want it to when spooling the rope back in B)

I did have time to finish the rer light boxes though... capping the ends...

So that they - with the guards - will also protect the light lenses...

The other ends..

I also notched the insides arund the box section hoop supports and shortened the outer sides so that they don't stick out so far...

I then 'made' some big washers -

By welding some slices of seamless tube and welding them into some BIG M24 form G washers...

... shortened some old srock polyurethane body lift spacers...

Which made the bottom bushes to go under the body mounts on the rear...

.. like that!

And...

.. that was the back nearly ready for final assembly... until I had to stop working :( Ah well, a few hours off then...

The only other thing I was going to do was cut some perforayed steel and some flat bar edges to make the infill for where the number plate sits, so that will have to wait until Sunday now...

Getting there1...
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 May 2020 14:49 #221951 by Lambert
Is not a perforated metal guard going to obscure the number plate significantly?

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
06 May 2020 15:29 - 06 May 2020 15:36 #221956 by X8GGY

Lambert wrote: Is not a perforated metal guard going to obscure the number plate significantly?

Ah, no, it's just to infill this bit -

Where I've drawn that yellow box, that will be small flat bar with the perforated sheet behind it, and the number plate will then sit on the outside of that, the same sheet as I've used on the front -

Then a downlighter lamp can be mounted above the number plate too...
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 May 2020 15:36 by X8GGY.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 May 2020 16:31 #221958 by Lambert
Ah ok that makes more sense, I half thought it was to combat the cameras every 20 feet on the expressway!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
10 May 2020 15:10 #222103 by X8GGY
This bit Lambert -

I'd just made that bit, and started to weld the rest of the back together... when I ran out of gas! Damn! I've done loads of welding, but all the same it seems to have gone quite quickly...? Half bottles I suppose...

So I sulked inside for a cup of tea, and then thought, what the hell, there's other bits I can be getting on with?...

So I grabbed a lorry wheel arch, marked it up, and then cut it in half...

One of the rears jacked up off the top of the tyre to see how it looks... B)

Fits nicely, apart from...

It fouls on the end of the sill bars... so I'll have to cut a little square out to get round that...

The inner edge of the rear just fouls on the end of the bottom box section too, you can see it kicking out slightly...

It needs cutting off straight across at about the level of the bottom of that box section though, and a little bracket on the end of it will hold it nicely there...

Kind of like that, as marked in yellow lines...

Might as well cut another one then? ;)

One for the front!

Again, the front needs trimming off, somewhere level with the bottom of the headlight...

Again, a little tab needs welding to the side of the headlight mount too (There's a box section end cap going in the top of it) ;)

Looking down the buggy, it looks okay? They are a little bit square'r than I'd have liked, but you have to work with what you can get?

The beauty of cutting the lorry wheel arches exactly in half is that I get a complete set of spares... albeit with white edging, urrghh!, although I'm sure that white will sand off?

I then decided I'd have the rest of the day off with the family, so I tidied up and had a play with the back end...

And mocked up the diagonal bar and re-added the fuel filler, to see how everything would look together...

Yup, quite happy with all that!

That elliptical diagonal brace needs fishmouthing so it sits on top of the rear hoop, and the top / angle is meant to replicate the shape and angle of the original part of the soft-top... I want it to look like a buggy, but also be recognisable as being Jimny based, for registration and MOT purposes...

One "issue" that's playing on my mind when I'm day-dreaming about the buggy in the shop (it keeps me going and sane!) is what's going to be yellow and what's going to be black? The original idea was to have the body tub yellow, and the additional bits black... but with it all flowing together, it might end up more yellow than black?...
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
10 May 2020 15:22 #222104 by X8GGY
On the passenger side...

The snorkel tube (2.5") will be coming out like this, just between the box section and the wheel arch...

This week the hose, jubilee clips and K&N air filter have arrived, but I'm still waiting for the snorkel tube, although Tom "Pipe-bender" has marked it as depatched on eBay... ;)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds