BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

More
26 Mar 2020 21:26 #220299 by jackonlyjack
Want pics of A pillar from all angles
Where the yellow line is on your pic i re posted
Please ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
05 Apr 2020 15:01 #220722 by X8GGY

jackonlyjack wrote: Want pics of A pillar from all angles
Where the yellow line is on your pic i re posted
Please ;)

Done in another thread ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
05 Apr 2020 15:17 #220723 by X8GGY
Not touched the buggy for a week :( You may have read on facebook that I woke up with a sore knee last Sunday, so I had the day off, Wednesday was the same, so in desperation for something to do in lockdown-Britain I tidied my walk-in wardrobe, something I'be been meaning to do for months!, you can even see that flat surface at the bottom now... the floor!

My calf then inflamed and swelled up like a balloon, so I arranged an appointment with the doctor, she met me in the carpark in full hazard gear, made an assessment, gave me a prescription for antibiotics, but then said she'd made me an appointment at the local hospital with the DVT Team just to make sure it wasn't a blood clot as I'm diabetic... the last place I wanted to go! But I went Friday morning at 10am, had a consultation, a blood test, and then a full ultrasound inspection of the inside of my leg, but all was well... by the time I came back from the scan my blood tests were back, another chat and they sent me home... Phew!

Also on Friday, a "safety" perspex screen for the Post Office arrived, and having been for my prescription and seen there's (aperspex square shwwt suspended from the ceiling) I thought I should make something to protect myself, my family and colleagues in the shop, so I rdered two sheets of 100x75 cm (3mm thick) perspex, which will arrive on Tuesday, so today I had a nice lie-in, and then a potter in the garage...

First job, some 100mm L-shaped edging that I used to use for road-going steering damper kits) was cut into 100cm lengths and drilled for bolt holes, these will go on the entrance flap to behind the counter...

Two feet brackets to screw to the counter infront of the main till (the other till will remain closed whilst we're in lockdown, as it's now quieter than usual, after the initial rush on groceries, etc..)

And the poles to sit in them, with metal strips to go on the side to bolt the other piece of perspex length ways across the till area at face level,,,

And... no gas! I'd used it all welding up the cage and roof hoop on the buggy... so I just hope my gas suppliers are open tomorrow so I can finish it off and paint it ready for assembly on Tuesday when the perspex arrives...

Now going to put my eg up and have an early beer, as the three ladies in my life are making cocktails and heading for the hot-tub...

Stay safe all!...

Hoping tho get back to the buggy next week when my leg hopefully subsides a bit...
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
06 Apr 2020 15:51 #220755 by X8GGY
OMG! How hard is it to get a replacement bottle of welding gas during a pandemic...?!

I had to ring the gas company's head office to find a distributor open (as all the local agricultural suppliers I have an 'account' have shut), found a local garage supplier type company that are open, but are only serving their own account holders... so I had to threaten him with a case of beer...

Surprisingly it worked ;)

Not just my "virus screens" to make, but the ongoing buggy build of course!

:lol:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
08 Apr 2020 10:21 #220809 by X8GGY
All done! B)

Quite subtle, but some well needed protection in these times... I'm a diabetic and had Pneumonia last year, so I have to take every precaution I can...

Back to the Buggy on Sunday then?
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
12 Apr 2020 14:33 - 12 Apr 2020 15:11 #220993 by X8GGY
Back in the garage today... briefly!, I had a nice lie-in and then the missus had organised an Easter Bunny Hunt around the house and garden, loads of riddle clues that ended up at a basket of goodies, bless her.... our daughters are 21 and 22, but they enjoyed it! So we had hot cross buns toasted for breakfast, and then I slid out into the garage for some me time, having spent the weekend keeping a safe distance from customers, and building virus screens over the main till area of the shop, and the wife's Post Office...

Start with a cardboard template...

Shape it to protect the mirror - particularly the hinge, which is prone to "trees jumping out in front of it" :lol:

With mirror folded in...

Mark out on steel plate...

Cut and bend...

Steel version, mirror out..

Mirror in...

YUP, happy with that, so...

Mark out the other one, making good use of one of those awkward looking pieces you keep just-in-case...

And... a matching pair of mirror guards!

They just need welding up, grinding / sanding back and holes drilling to mount them with Riv-Nuts to the doors...

But that's another job for another day... time to shower and join the rest of the family for a Roast Chicken tea with all the trimmings...

Happy Easter, and stay safe - stay home everyone B)
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Apr 2020 15:11 by X8GGY.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Apr 2020 16:15 #221002 by Riccy
Very ingenious Dave! I think they are a brilliant idea for them trees that jump out at you B)

Just gotta be careful of bashing the mirror the other way instead now :woohoo: (or will it still bend past the guard?)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
12 Apr 2020 17:04 #221005 by X8GGY

Riccy wrote: Very ingenious Dave! I think they are a brilliant idea for them trees that jump out at you B)

Just gotta be careful of bashing the mirror the other way instead now :woohoo: (or will it still bend past the guard?)

Hmmm, ah, yes...good point... not as good in reverse?...

But at least in reverse you can keep an eye on them better? Especially with half doors!!! :woohoo:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
15 Apr 2020 16:22 - 15 Apr 2020 16:29 #221101 by X8GGY
A good day at it today!...

Started with the CAD (Keithy ;) ) Cardboard Aided Design...

There's a clue! ;)

"Boring" day... lotsa holes!

Cut, sand, bend... "can you tell what is it yet?"

Spare wheel mount with holes for drainage / keep the weight down...

It fits! With room for a bigger one later?! :lol:

Sits nice to maximise rear view...

Rectangular section and am SJ/Samurai rear light...

More "CAD"

Mark, drill, cut, sand...

Insert lights, add guards (eBay)

They'll go something like this...

60x60mm box section, tickled for ages with the angle grinder...

I had to cut some of the inside of the box away to get around the hinges, and so that the half-door tucks neaty behind it, with a reasonable panel gap (for a buggy!)

More CAD, working out the line of the bonnet to put 50x50mm box from the new door edge to the bonnet slam panel...

From the side, planning and making sure everything will fit together later...

Mock-up with some slightly smaller box offcut that was lying around... Sp the two box sections will meet here, and the tube down from the roofline halo hoop will run down the windscreen's a-pillar and land on the box section with a strengthening gusset welded to (what's left of) the inner wing...

And... ran out of time, off for a shower... back to it Sunday! B)

(All prep today, not much welding... I've got an eye test and eye injections* on Friday, so I didn't want to weld much today, keep that for Sunday)

(* I thought all non-essential procedures would be off in the current pandemic? but they still want to stick needles in my eyes?! :( )
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2020 16:29 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ahtr

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
16 Apr 2020 16:53 #221135 by X8GGY
That last photo (above) -

... has been bugging me, I've been staring at my iPad in the shop planning Sunday's work in my mind, and it looks like all the angles are wrong...

But -

... from the other angle it is right, it just needs a bit of a fillet to fill the gap where you could put your finger in between the door and the door post...
Attachments:

More
18 Apr 2020 22:48 #221247 by Keithy
Compound angles.....the stuff of nightmares :D

Glad to see you're keeping up with the CAD!

I'm going to learn Fusion 360 while I'm at home for the next 3 weeks or so.....It's free for home use?

Quite like the mirror covers....Riccy had the same thought as me.....reverse cruncheroo!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
19 Apr 2020 17:27 #221279 by X8GGY
Thanks Keithy...

Yes, more CAD today...

Yes, have to watch the mirrors in reverse, or just keep pushing forwards! :evil:

Time to create page: 0.298 seconds