BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Bob! Daily driver/something to play with!

More
17 Oct 2018 18:17 #196841 by eddlane
Hi!

So, wheel spacers.

Do they help with being blown around on dual carriageways?

30mm spacers wide enough?

Discuss!

Bob - 2005 Jimny - standard, for now.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Oct 2018 04:11 #196844 by Lambert
They definitely help reduce wheel bearing service intervals. The thing is that a 60mm overall increase in track width is negligible in percentage terms when trying to increase side to side stability. Generally improvement of roll stability especially in a Jimny involves fitment of stiffer springs and dampers and firmer anti roll bars and or bushes. They in turn limit articulation off road.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Oct 2018 04:14 #196845 by eddlane
Ok, thank you.

I’m new to all this and I’ve read the wikis and a few other forum posts and am just trying to figure the benefit.

It’s not too bad being blown about, I was just wondering if it would help with it really.

I’ve got lots to do before then really anyway, desperate for some time to get rustproofing before the salt hits the road!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Oct 2018 04:27 #196846 by Lambert
The issue is that a wider axle doesn't actually widen the distance between the mounting points of the axle to the car so in isolation the only affect the spacers can have is to increase leverage if you are getting a wheel off the ground which in a Jimny on the road equates to way more problems than a wider axle is going to fix.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Oct 2018 04:29 #196847 by eddlane
Excellent, thank you for that.

That is why I ask here first before doing anything! I don’t really want to be making things worse!! Like I said I’ll just focus for now on getting the rustproofing sorted out and I need to tint the back windows and rotate my tires! Plenty to do!

More
18 Oct 2018 07:33 #196849 by eddlane
Also,

My exhaust pipe knocks over bumps and stuff, it’s pretty annoying!! Are there stiffer hangers I can buy or any tips from owners I can do?

Cheers

More
18 Oct 2018 07:52 - 18 Oct 2018 07:54 #196851 by Max Headroom
I thought being blown about on fast busy roads was all part of the fun :woohoo: :side:

Driving these Jimny's is not all that disimilar to driving pre-war cars; their rigid beam axles causing them to leap across the road at the merest bump. The main difference being that the Jimny has much sharper modern steering as opposed to a steering set up with about 12" of play in it! :ohmy:

Although I've taken my Jimny for some very gentle off road experience with an experienced offroader instructing me which was good fun, its my daily drive so I have to be very careful or I can't get to work if I break it. Therefore mine remains a bit of a polished and waxed road queen.

If money was no object and I had time on my hands, I would love to have a serious off-road beast set-aside for the very purpose of green-laning. Having read and watched all the videos on S200KYS fascinating blog and seen how some 'green' roads/lanes are almost being lost from lack of use it makes sense for everyone to use them and keep them open for all to enjoy.

As for your exhaust knocking, I had a similar problem just last week, I was convinced I needed a replacement section of exhaust it got so bad. However I got under the car and found the rear left-hand silencer-box rubber had come off the hanger. I managed to pull several other rubber hangers further onto the spigots too, and it seems ok now. Hopefully yours will be similar.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 18 Oct 2018 07:54 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
18 Oct 2018 11:30 - 18 Oct 2018 11:46 #196854 by Scimike

eddlane wrote: Also,

My exhaust pipe knocks over bumps and stuff, it’s pretty annoying!! Are there stiffer hangers I can buy or any tips from owners I can do?

Cheers

The new rear box fitted to mine was hitting the tow bar, bumper off I could see it was hanging at a slight angle, the left side lower than the right. The tow bar makes space tight, but it still should have been level in my opinion. Two rubber mounts are involved on the back box, one left front of the box and one to the right near the exhaust tail pipe. The left hanger was obviously stretched, but I found it was due to other factors.
One of the pipe hangers further forward on the exhaust had rotted off putting more load on the box hanger. I fixed this then found that the left box metal hanger pin was not bent at the correct angle, I heated this and bent to the correct angle and bingo a perfectly fitting exhaust.

Interesting that Max Headroom's left box hanger had fallen off, that was the one on mine failing due to incorrect fabication of the box hanger and additional load from another failed mount. I wounder if all rear boxes have poor postional tolerances on this hanger. My rear box as an aftermarket replacement, the rest of the system still as suppiled by Suzuki.

So my advice would be to check the fit and condition of the whole system first. The supplied Suzuki hangers are stiff enough to hold it correctly. Be cautious of using generic rubber hangers, the ones I had appeared slightly larger when compared to the Suzuki ones. I changed these for rubber hangers supplied by Jimny Bits, these looked identical to the original Suzuki one it still had fitted.

If you want to make the hangers stiffer two possible options. 1) put a cable tie around the hanger to hold it tighter 2) Use a jubilee clip around the rubber hanger, you can adjust the "stiffness" using the clips screw. One or two cable ties to hold the jubilee clip on the rubber to stop jumping off make this the permanent solution. You end up with the Jubilee clip squashing the rubber hanger to your desired size.

Have fun

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 18 Oct 2018 11:46 by Scimike.

More
18 Oct 2018 14:43 #196856 by yakuza
Try to loosen the joints and twist it a bit to see if it fits better out of harms way.
Remember the exhaust will expand rearwards a lot when warm.

And buy original exhaust. The half price stuff like walker and bosal lasts less than half the time and often crack up due to bad fitment and rust twice as fast.
I never buy those but rather fix the old one with my own welding or buy loose parts, or buy original.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
18 Oct 2018 17:33 #196859 by Riccy
-30 Wheel spacers didnt do anything for the handling on mine :laugh:

They were a need to get the non-offset 15x8 steelies on (should have bought offset wheels, doh!).

They do increase kingpin bearing (front) and wheel bearing (front & rear) wear rate a fair bit i think. e.g. I know i probably do more off-tarmac than most (saving for S200KYS/Dave and Maverick/Brett), but they need to be replaced at least once a year :-( this equates to about 4000 miles before they are done in. I would say spacers/offset are to be kept to a minimum where possible.

For the exhaust i have the same problem. It clangs off the fuel tank guard and the towbar bracket. fixing a rubber hangar to the side of the towbar bracket worked for a while, but its all moved a bit from being shaken about and the annoying noise is back again. Scimike's suggestions for the hangar rubbers sound a much better idea :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
29 Oct 2018 15:29 #197146 by eddlane
Hey all

Thanks for all the knowledge as usual!

I’ll steer clear of the wheel spacers for now, and Im still struggling to stop the exhaust knock. It’s the silencer knocking near its mount.

Started rust proofing, it was still on factory underseal so I could see every little demon, I’ve cleaned, stripped back, dinitrol rust converter on some then waxoyl underseal for the rear arches so far, front arches tomorrow then underneath.

Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2018 12:16 #197171 by eddlane
Front arches today. Under the headlights was getting bad glad I have caught it!

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds