BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Sheet steel

More
06 Aug 2018 17:34 #194878 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Sheet steel
Think I’m gonna need more than just chassis and body mounts now, Chassis has started to rot in the middle it’s not gone through so was gonna patch it up only to set the brake fluid on fire?!? How on gods earth has the brake fluid decided to start smoking? Drivers side front flexi pipe is no more all the other pipes are fine? Any ideas of that?i found those bits on eBay too but they’re all next week when I’d get them could do with it now or at least before the 9th so I can get a mot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2018 14:47 #194896 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Sheet steel
Let me know what bits you need and I'll take a look see what I have. Cheers

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
07 Aug 2018 15:31 #194901 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Sheet steel
Here he is ;)

Hi James

More
07 Aug 2018 18:14 #194906 by Basketcase
Patched up the chassis mount with one off a shotgun from the scrap yard just need to do the body part now but work out how to get the new body bolt through the chassis mount.... got a brake pipe from scrap yard off a Toyota Yaris or something to see if it gets me through a mot then I’ll sse about replacing it for a braided one.
Before the new mount
After the new mount quite pleased with it as my welding has some improvement to be made but has come on considerably from my first attempt
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Aug 2018 04:13 #194909 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Sheet steel
It's quite a liberating experience being able to do things like this yourself isn't it!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Aug 2018 05:38 #194911 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Sheet steel
Grind off all rust and keep it clean while welding. Also when you weld outside you can make sure there is no wind (or less) that can blow out the gas from your weld nozzle that is supposed to prevent oxygen from entering the welding flame. Just a tip :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
08 Aug 2018 07:07 #194912 by Basketcase
I’m not using gas, I’ve got flux cored. Does that matter? Should I get a bottle of argon and use that as well as the flux cored wire?

More
08 Aug 2018 07:26 #194914 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Sheet steel
Should be ok but keep in mind the wind still so you get a steady flame.
The flux core will vaporize and create a flame cover to keep O2 out of the weld i think..
I have used mig welding only as i was told that would give me the best result when I had no experience.
When i have to weld outside I cranck up the gas flow to keep the cover.
I got this used old mig welder for cheaps but the gas is pricy especially when i forget to close the valve after using it :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Basketcase

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds