BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Jul 2021 05:24 #236370 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Always beneficial not to be pouring fuel straight onto the floor, much more economic!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
05 Jul 2021 17:30 - 05 Jul 2021 17:31 #236428 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Info pack from Martin arrived today, many thanks. But where to put the numbered rally card? 

I will probably tie it to the front bar next to the number plate somewhere for the day. Dont want it falling off or disappearing on the way to the meet.

The sticker i am hoping to get on the windscreen where the rear mirror is, some trial and error needed to avoid the gopro I usually film with.

Looking forwards to the meet and seeing everyones cars, putting names to faces and driving some black tracks 

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jul 2021 17:31 by Riccy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
18 Jul 2021 15:45 - 18 Jul 2021 15:54 #236782 by Riccy
The BigJimny meet at Tong was a good day out. Superb to see so many cars of all different types of Jimny. I had a bit of fun charging around the tracks and the burger van was good too   A massive thank you to Martin and James for organising a great meet up. 

Broke down on the way home, but only slightly. Traced the problem to the trottle position sensor with my handy tablet PC. Turned out the wiring was a bit loose in the plug so fiddled and sprayed a bit of wd40 in to sort that on the roadside thankfully. 

This weekend was the Jimny Jaunts North Yorkshire 2 day outing. Met up at the tebay truck stop and had a brekky, then off to explore

Very dry and dusty at the back of the group so we took turns on gate duty. Sadly Dave Wright's panhard snapped and I discoved why my transfer was getting noisy (leaky t-box :-( ). Patched Dave up and he managed to find somewhere to weld it up at the next town so he met the rest later at the hotel. I however had increasing noise until it got to a point mid afternoon where I felt it unwise to continue. They left me top gear style to find my way home. 
I made it to Richmond and found a garage, but they had no gear oil unfortunately. Carried on and made it to Penrith. Stopped for fuel and it started making more noise. Continued to as far as Sebergham where it started making machine gun noises and wouldnt move :-( 
Onto the greenflag app which worked perfectly and even got them to bring a flatbed vehicle first time and in good time too. Quickly loaded up as in a bad place and unloaded off at home by 8pm. 

This morning was fish out the box and start stripping it down to see what was wrong. Watched a few youtube vids and looked over Martin's guide (very helpful) and decided that it was within my abilities to rebuild it. Hardest thing was getting the in/out flange nuts off, the rest came apart with no drama. 

And it was obvious to see that the machine gun noise was the teeth stripping off...

anyhoo... I had been thinking of a 6.4 gearset anyway, but could do without the cost of it just now. Ive contacted James Priestly for a price on the Sumo gearset as it has good reviews. Thankfully the casing is ok. 

Stripped it down fully and have given it all a good clean in parts washer solution to get rid of any remaining particles hiding in there as well.

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jul 2021 15:54 by Riccy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
More
18 Jul 2021 18:17 #236787 by Lambert
Looks expensive. Good luck.

More
19 Jul 2021 15:40 #236809 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Ulysses
He's on the "timer clock" as Henryd is 15th August

Jalapeño, IISY?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 Jul 2021 16:50 #236810 by Lambert
Ha ha. Best get back in the shed Riccy.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
24 Jul 2021 16:18 #236928 by Riccy
Lobster box rebuild then.

After cleaning it all down I put some nice red paint on the parts over the course of the week

And the box of 6.4 Sumo gears arrived from James Priestly very quickly

Following Martin's guide on building the box up was really helpful. It all went together pretty easily

Shaving a bit off the casing to allow for the bigger gearset:

And also the top casing/cover:

test with just the countershaft gear in and it works with no catching anywhere

Gearsets in and ready to go back together. Some checking of the shims and they seemed correct (following the guide method of assembing without gaskets to test it)

Welded up the speedo drive as its not needed and will be better without the gear in there anyway

And rest of the ancillary bits back on

Back in the cage

and back in the car

Topped up with nice new oil and out for a short test run. By far the quietest lobster box I've ever heard :-) 

A couple of videos too:

The box on the bench:

Wheel speed with high and low range (on axle stands):

Test run out to visit mam tomorrow and hopefully thats the end of expense for now!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper, Soeley

More
24 Jul 2021 17:41 #236930 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Ulysses
A good rebuild Riccy

More
24 Jul 2021 18:26 #236933 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Ulysses
Riccy what kind of money for the Sumo Gear set and where?

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
24 Jul 2021 18:34 #236935 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Ulysses
Great work! Looks very well refurbished with a lick of paint!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
25 Jul 2021 06:38 #236944 by Riccy
Thanks for the replies! 

Riccy what kind of money for the Sumo Gear set and where?
I got it through James Priestly, who has some kind of deal on with jimnybits where he can supply most of their stock, for a lower price than their website. Here's a link to the set I have on Jimnybits site:  www.jimnybits.com/sj-samurai-suz-6-4-sp-...r-case-gear-set.html

I should say that its for an SJ transfer (sometimes known as rocklobster box) as that's what I have in Ulysses, but there are kits available for the Jimny box too. I chose the Sumo over Trailgear as it had better reviews and is apparently much quieter.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

More
25 Jul 2021 08:44 #236945 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Ulysses
Riccy thanks for the comeback. Right off the bat think Ill be looking at using the spare MK3 transfer box out of my doner Jimny getting hard to find SJ's over here now. Listen thanks for the info. J

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds