BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
01 Jan 2020 17:26 #216892 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
01 Jan 2020 17:29 #216893 by Riccy

And a few videos...

Crimbo 19 Coed y Brenin Forest 1

Crimbo 19 Coed y Brenin Forest 2

Crimbo 19 Glanllynmawr ford 1

Crimbo 19 Glanllynmawr ford 2

Crimbo 19 Heligog

Crimbo 19 Sarn Helen 1

Crimbo 19 Sarn Helen 2

Crimbo 19 Cerrig Y Cledd

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
01 Jan 2020 17:35 #216894 by Riccy

And that tells a story. I had a wheel bearing collapse on the drivers rear, whilst doing 60mph on the M6. Unfortunatley we had a 3.5hr wait beside the motorway just to get picked up :-(

The ABS collar is detached or separate to the retaining ring which I havent seen before...

Unfortunatley it has killed the ABS sensor when its been slopping around in there so I will need to source a new one of them. Spare shaft in the garage and the disc brake conversion meant it was fixed in 30 mins. Looking into floating rears now as a way to make this issue easier next time.

Bit of a start on the exhaust as well. Its all tack welded together now then removed to weld fully. I need to order a joining flange for it but its nearly there. Looks pretty good too (if I do say so myself)...

Heatwrapped the stainless 4-2-1 manifold I already had and started building back from there:

Back to work tomorrow so it will wait until the weekend.

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Jan 2020 18:22 #216897 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
My my you are a busy person, I hardly have time to wash the road salt of mine and you're busy welding exhausts and seeing the sights!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
01 Jan 2020 18:46 #216900 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Ulysses
Exhaust looking good matey
Some nice video footage and pics thanks for sharing
ps that's going to be well loud :pinch: :evil:

More
01 Jan 2020 21:05 #216905 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Ulysses

Lambert wrote: My my you are a busy person, I hardly have time to wash the road salt of mine and you're busy welding exhausts and seeing the sights!

I think he has a time machine, gets to the end of the day then goes back to morning again lol,

Loving the build, and the exhaust look great.

More
01 Jan 2020 21:40 #216906 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Ulysses
The original ABS set up on the Jimny had a separate ABS ring and retaining collar. This continued for a few years so you will find Jimnys with this set up, particularly as the spares market also sold similar. You were supposed to change both when you changed a bearing but people often reused the abs ring.

Suzuki superceded the part with a combined retainer and ring. This is slightly more in cost that each individual separate part but cheaper than both. It is a single machined part.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
02 Jan 2020 14:11 - 02 Jan 2020 14:16 #216933 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Ulysses
RE: subwoofer / woodwork behind the seats...

This is absolutely fantastic! I was hoping to do something similar in my own car when I get time! I couldn't ask what wood you used (thickness in particular?).
Last edit: 02 Jan 2020 14:16 by Reason2doubt.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
02 Jan 2020 16:57 #216941 by Riccy

Reason2doubt wrote: RE: subwoofer / woodwork behind the seats...

This is absolutely fantastic! I was hoping to do something similar in my own car when I get time! I couldn't ask what wood you used (thickness in particular?).

A mixture of plywood. 12mm for the sub box and upright parts, 9mm for overall facing and 3mm for back of storage bits. Some angled dowl for the bit around the top to stop things falling off. Bead of silicone around all the internal joins of the sub box to try and seal it, though the enclosure is way too small for such a big sub.

The key is using a router and good glue to make the joints tight and strong. The thing is solid, but surprisingly light (until I put the huge sub in :laugh: ). My upholstery skills are limited, and this was rushed so doesn't look that brilliant close up, something to re-do on a rainy day then.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
04 Jan 2020 16:59 #216996 by Riccy
Zorst coming along. Started welding up the joins only to run out of stainless mig wire. Cue a trip into town for more, only to run out of argon gas about half an hour later :angry:

Managed to get the front bit welded and a joining flange fitted to the end. Fitted it onto the car and reset all the engine management light things from it having no exhaust sensors and started her up. Very noisy without the back end box on but no EML :-) (I had previously had problems with the 4-2-1 manifold on a standard exhaust causing sensor problems).

Then started messing about with some front hubs to get my head around a floating rear setup. There is a kit made by a russian fella which adapts it to use front hubs.

the kit:

and you take parts from the front hub to make it up for the rear

and that means that you I only need to carry one spare part for the next time a wheel bearing goes:

It also means that (if i use manual hubs) its possible to make the car run in front wheel drive only (e.g. if the rear diff blew, just take the rear prop off and switch off the back manual hubs).

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack, Reason2doubt

More
04 Jan 2020 19:51 #217002 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Ulysses
Thank's for this Riccy
Some good info here helping me get my head round it all :side:
Also on another note having freewheel hubs all round means it can be towed without
starving the transfer box bearings of oil :)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jan 2020 06:02 #217013 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Does having a floating rear not introduce the issue of needing custom shafts and therefore the problem of a readily available replacement if one dies? Or are the shafts donated from something else that happens to have the correct splines and length? Sounds cool though either way.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds