BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 May 2018 19:50 #192485 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses

Keithy wrote: It's impressive how much these cars differ/rot differently.....mines a year newer and the chassis is so much cleaner/not as rotten.....still issues to be taken care of though.

Front end looks well mate!

I need a better look at Buzzweld as I want a shiny chassis on the new car.

Its a very rusty example. a lot to do with previous owners i think! This one came from Kirby Lonsdale so i would expect a lot of road salt in the winter around there. That combined with poor cleaning mean rot i guess. Its 100% bog standard.I doubt its ever been off road or green-laning. Probably a shopping car :laugh: J999 MNY is an 57 plate and in much better condition. Wonder if there was a change in something between years?
Kiethy you mentioned somewhere that yours is/will be galvanised? could that be it?

The Buzzweld is what ive covered J999 MNY in. Its been on for about 2 years and still looks great. The RCP (Rust Control Primer) is great and i have CIO (Chassis In One) as a topcoat in satin black. Cavity wax also inside all the tricky to get at bits. Stands up to heavy pressure washing and is sort of rubbery so self heals from small cuts/bumps. Stinks and has loads of HSE warnings, so must be good stuff!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2018 20:35 #192486 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Ulysses
Perhaps it was an RNLI one in a previous life, they had some in that colour that would have spent their life on a beach

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
07 May 2018 20:37 #192487 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Ulysses
Mind you, they were poverty spec. with steel wheels etc

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
07 May 2018 23:10 #192491 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Ulysses

Riccy wrote: Kiethy you mentioned somewhere that yours is/will be galvanised? could that be it?

Bodywork is....not got to the chassis for a proper look yet.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
08 May 2018 17:40 #192522 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:Ulysses

mlines wrote: Mind you, they were poverty spec. with steel wheels etc

Thanks for the info.Good to see the lifeguards using them :-)

The previous owner bought this one in Jan 2013 and its a VVT JLX plus (alloys, A/C and half leather seats) according to the V5. Says 2 previous owners to me, dont know how to find out who the other was tho.

Is there any info on the galvanised body Kiethy has? Could be good info for the wiki to know if they are galv after a certain year/VIN number ;-)

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
20 May 2018 16:50 #192827 by Riccy
More welding...

Made a start on the floor and sills. Mainly the floor :laugh:

Passenger side all cut out:

and plated up:

and the body mount bracket on the chassis needed plating up as well:

Next is the driver side, But i need to finish the sills on passenger first:

Seems like its never ending! By the look of the back area it could well end up traybacked. Floor is goosed as well as the rear arches so lots of repairs or chop it all off! Probably the same amount of work either way.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 May 2018 04:24 #192834 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Ulysses
Truggy it! Honestly it is the future!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
27 May 2018 16:38 #192983 by Riccy
Chopped that horrible back floor out today...

Doesn't look as bad as expected under it but the bottom of the bit below the rear door (rear body mount area) is gone.

So... stripped out the rest of the rear and headlining, masking tape up for tray back :evil:

Gonna have a beer and look at the masking tape for the rest of tonight to think it over :unsure:

Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
28 May 2018 16:06 #192996 by Riccy
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWell MR ANGRY :evil: the angle grinder has got through quite a few discs today (ran out actually so early finish and shower time).

Bit more to cut off yet but wanted to go at it a bit at a time to allow for cockups. Thinking of reattaching the rear door surround to close it up so have chopped it a bit, again more to do. Should end up looking the same, but 2ft shorter and without the side windows (hopefully)!

Some sort of roll cage or internal roll bar is going to be needed. What little strength the roof had is now totally gone. I also need to source a tool to make a edge to join the two halves together. This is done with a 'Flange tool' or 'Joggler', Something like this:

This will (hopefully) allow one bit to slot inside the other for a stronger joint, then spot weld together. I was looking at the roof and there is the drainage channel with the black plastic trim in it. I couldnt work out what to do with that to still keep the drain, unless its just a case of close it off and make sure you park with the nose downhill on rainy days to drain to the windscreen end :laugh:

Attachments:

More
29 May 2018 18:18 #193035 by Keithy
Whoa....you're getting stuck in Rich!

Roof will be strengthened at the time you reattach the rear panel.....edge setter will ruin your panel on the curve....beware.

I trimmed the 3 skins to be planar (level) and made a 16G panel with holes to tie all 3 together.....stronger than the original.

The straight line and lack of closure at the rear lower section of the cab is something I've never liked.....plastic trim?

Attachments:

More
29 May 2018 18:25 #193036 by Keithy
Cheated on the roof....welded a panel in.

Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
29 May 2018 18:59 #193038 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Hi Kiethy, yes thats the look I'm trying to achieve with the cab back. I thought of butt jointing the curved bits and staggering the flatter sections to use the flange tool for that bit.

For the bottom bit i was thinking of making some plates to patch in. Depends how big a hole to fill. maybe fibreglass, time will tell. A fair bit off that yet tho!

Thinking about some sort of roll cage to strengthen my inept welding. Theres someone on ebay that will bend to order some pretty heavy tubing :-)

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds