BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Discreet but capable

More
07 Mar 2018 08:32 #190050 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Discreet but capable
I have now found the pictured manifold at £129 which is not too rich for a gamble to see if we can get something of use....

I'm also talking to a fella in China at a reputable firm whose headers looked much more purposeful and are designed for the jimny. I might have to buy 10 systems but may well do that at a price I've been quoted for a single bespoke system in the UK. Just got to make sure I don't get my pants pulled down, which might be quite the job.

Interweb is an amazing tool for commerce, I can shop all over world........ Did I tell you, I'm getting the cash for the order from my mate in Nigeria, cracking bloke he is. All I had to do was send him my bank details and he's going to deposit my 50% share of his lottery win.......

Sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2018 09:03 #190053 by sniper
Well the KYB springs have turned up at last, I'm happy that they are made in the Czech Rep, any luck and they won't have Chinese steel in them.

I'm retired now but held welding codes for many years and have watched as the quality of steel has been poisoned by China.

These look to be of good quality and the coils on each pair (f/r) match perfectly (good repeatability in the coil cuts and coil structure are a sign of a strong process and stable steel), powder coated so finish is perfect.

Still waiting on the AVO dampers, should be here in the next few days, I also forgot extended bump stops which are now winging their way from Jimnybits.
I have found a local garage that rents ramp time for £50 a day and that includes air tools which will make it a breeze and no bad back to boot....

Sniper
Attachments:

More
07 Mar 2018 11:26 - 07 Mar 2018 11:34 #190060 by sniper
My man in China (gone all Len Deighton) has come back with a "sample system", that looks great, for 250usd DHL delivery is 141usd
so,
391usd to gbp = £281.67
+import levy @3.5% = £291.54
+vat @ 20% = £349.84

So, £350 for a 4-2-1 manifold, centre section with cat, back box with a fancy tail pipe.

If I order ten systems the price comes down to $200 per unit and sea freight for 200kg is only $141,
So,
2141usd to gbp = £1542.35
+import levy @ 3.5% = £1650.31
=vat @ 20% = £1980.37

So, £198.04 for the same system.

I would happily have paid £300 for the manifold alone and for the system with a sports cat another £300 easy, £600 for the full system, I think it would sell at that.

I think I will take the gamble on the single system, fit it (if it turns up and I don't end up with a £350 lesson) and if it performs well, I might well consider importing in bulk. Even with the inevitable hidden costs of sale, it should be viable.

Might be going into the import / export business.......

Sniper
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Mar 2018 11:34 by sniper. Reason: poor maths....

More
07 Mar 2018 11:50 #190063 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Discreet but capable
Good progress! Are the springs the same side to side? As standard our RHD Jimnys have a softer spring (thinner wire used in the coils) on the NSR. If both springs are the same you may find yourself suffering from Jimny lean.

More
07 Mar 2018 14:12 #190079 by sniper
Thanks busta, both rear springs appear identical so it looks like I may have to play around with spring seats if the problem arises. I'm fitting 15mm seats to start so I might drop to 5mm on that corner if needed. Not something I had considered.......

Sniper

More
07 Mar 2018 18:46 #190091 by jackonlyjack
Attachments:

More
07 Mar 2018 20:54 #190098 by sniper
Looks the job alright jack, can I hit you with a few questions that might help me choose mine,

What sort of change did you get when fitted?

Did your torque band move further in the rev range?

Do you run a cat? if so what?

Are you happy with the changes over standard?

Have you mapped since fitting?

Sorry to dribble on but I'm considering options from cheap Chinese (£350) to bespoke stainless (£750) and you might help me avoid a costly mistake, done it before and it costs you twice in the end.

Thanks,

sniper

More
08 Mar 2018 09:27 #190113 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Discreet but capable
Not fitted it as yet
Going with a 2" 200 cell cat and 2" system
I have to wait for the weather as i only have outside option for work to be done

More
08 Mar 2018 12:01 #190117 by sniper
I'll look forward to seeing a review if you could, I've looked at similar styled manifolds but I'm drawn towards one with longer secondary's, I can't upload a picture as its part of a slide show (beyond me). I think your pattern will give more power and a nice torque curve but it would be slightly higher in the rev range.

The longer secondary's (hopefully) would give an earlier entry on the curve and still be close to peak figure, power would be slightly lower I believe.

The only guys who really have a handle on this stuff are very busy (20 week wait) or way beyond my purse.

I want to re-map after fitting the exhaust on standard injection but I also want to fit throttle bodies and will need best part of a day on the rollers, so don't want to waste £500.

sniper

More
09 Mar 2018 16:33 #190167 by sniper
Been having a look under the Jimny and I think I need to change a few more suspension bits now that I've started. I'm not lifting really (+25mm max) so don't need fabricated track control arms but I do want adjustability.

Does anybody know of a supplier for standard length arms that are adjustable ?

sniper

More
09 Mar 2018 17:39 #190171 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Discreet but capable
Do you mean the radius arms, going from the axle back to the chassis? What plane do you want to adjust them in? You can get 'camber corrected' arms which rotate the axle back to correct for a lift but I don't know of any that have adjustment built in. You can also get camber correction bushes which achieve a similar thing with the standard arms.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Mar 2018 17:46 #190173 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Discreet but capable
Or are you meaning the panhards that locate the axle side to side? As far as I am aware there are adjustable ones though they're for bigger lifts and might not be short enough for such a small lift.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds