BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Discreet but capable

More
25 Feb 2018 13:31 #189681 by sniper
Discreet but capable was created by sniper
Hi, I've had my 05 vvt for about six months and have decided to sort the tired (64k) standard suspension, I rallied mini's in the past and have always liked giant killers. That's what attracted me to the jimny in the first place.
I'm 51 now and bombing about in a machine that looks ready for the Paris-dakkar isn't what I want but I do want to be able to use the car with confidence, so my approach is this.

New standard height springs
15mm proflex seats
+25mm AVO adjustable dampers
Rough country steering damper
215/75x15 BFG AT KM2's on jlx alloys.
Quaiffe ATB diffs front and back

Everything bar the diff's are on order and should be fitted over the next few weeks, the diffs are the thing I'm waiting for...... not available for a few months yet. I've run them in mini's and if they transform the ability and grip of the jimny anywhere near what they did in my minis, it should be quite something both on road and particularly off road.

Spring selection has been a nightmare and I've decided on KYB, stiffer springs are not really warranted as my off roading will be limited to a bit of green laning and the odd play day. I've started at 15mm on the spring seats but may well go to 25mm.

I will be looking at adjustable drop links and a combination of poly bushes / rubber bushes to try and get a good balance of on road manners, with that bit more off road than it's standard appearance will give it credit for thanks to the diffs and tyres, it should be a fun drive.

I remember seeing a few Swift's on tarmac rallies and they were absolute screamers and putting out silly horsepower numbers for a N/A car 120-130hp in clubman classes. So engine next, make it breath properly, fueling and exhaust first, cams and head maybe but only for drivable power.

I know the platform will never be a high speed go cart but I hope one day to be able to accelerate out of a T junction without the fear of falling over.

That's the plan......

sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Feb 2018 05:58 #189692 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Discreet but capable
That's almost what I have done with mine exception being the off road stuff. For road work standard height is tall enough. I too am waiting for the atb to become available, more grip, more of the time!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Feb 2018 22:47 #189721 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Discreet but capable
Hi sounds like some good plans for what you're after, though the consensus of opinion regarding engine tuning seems to be rather than spend money trying to improve the performance of the 1.3 swap it out for a 1.6. I've not done this myself but there are plenty here who have and will give you al the info.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
28 Feb 2018 09:59 #189755 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Discreet but capable
A productive day looking at exhausts and fuelling, I've found a piper exhaust for a swift that would be readily modified for rear wheel drive, bit pricey at £458 so a full stainless system it is at around £500 with a cat. Also found an outfit called danST in shipley who do a bike throttle body conversion that starts at £750 for a basic kit.

Those two with ECU etc. and fully mapped set up will be around 2k and liberate 120hp + with a torque curve that can be manipulated for best purpose.

I'm happy going down this route as replacement 1.3vvt lumps are readily available should I push one too far, £300 and a weekend on the spanners would see a lower mileage lump than existing, fitted.

Yes, the fun of a screamer when I want it but also tractable power when pottering about.

Funds will be the time limiting factor but I hope to get most of the work done over the next year, I will post pictures (as soon as I figure out how...) and results/reviews of the gear and progress made.

I hope some of you guys will find it interesting, I know tuning the 1.3 makes little sense when the 1.6 is readily swapped but I have spent many years messing with small cc engines and I love em. Writing this up will also sooth the anorak in me and hopefully instigate exchanges of information that I and others will find of interest and benefit.

Regards,

Sniper

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2018 10:41 #189756 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Discreet but capable
Go for it :D
How about a super charged jimny? ;)

More
28 Feb 2018 15:33 #189759 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Discreet but capable
Sounds like a good plan. I stumbled across the DanST throttle body kits the other day and was surprised he included Jimny's in the listing! I've never heard of anyone fitting ITBs to one before.

I know what you mean about smaller engines. I had a 1.6 in my old Jimny and whilst the extra power undoubtedly made it better, the longer stroke engine was much less rewarding to drive hard. Above 5000 rpm it was a bit flat whereas the 1.3 keeps pulling. I'm sure the throttle bodies and exhaust would fix that though. and seeing as they engines are so similar you could always switch to the bigger motor at a later date anyway if you fancy another 30hp or so.

What ECU will you be using?

More
28 Feb 2018 16:52 #189760 by sniper
I have little experience with stand alone ECU's, I aim to defer to the greater knowledge of the ITB supplier, they are supplied as a kit with ECU if needed.
I will have to leave the exhaust with them too, I understand the effects of collector design and want an even torque spread so 4-2-1 rather than 4-1 which is better for peak power but then there's a cat....... I know nothing about their effects so again will defer to the tuners knowledge.

Hopefully he is familiar with an exhaust builder and a system that delivers the extra I'm looking for but doesn't sound high pitched, can be built.

The balance between exhaust and inlet is easy when it's all out power, velocity. A tidy torque curve can be harder found and thats what I want, a bit more juice yes, the overall aim is to increase power after all. The way the torque is both increased and delivered is the main focus.

Sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Feb 2018 20:34 #189771 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Discreet but capable
I am going to be watching this like a hawk. You are officially my Jimny guinea pig and if you are even remotely successful I will be following your path.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2018 20:44 #189773 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Discreet but capable
Think you should have a chat with Keithy his turbo build was nearly there just needed a few tweaks ;)

More
01 Mar 2018 09:40 #189792 by sniper
I considered forced induction, a simple route to more power and cost effective if you don't go daft.

Torque delivery is the problem, the sudden rush from very low pull to peak torque makes a twitchy car worse on tarmac, off road it would be a pain.
Peak torque is very important and turbo's will give you tons, but they smack you in the face with it. I want peak torque as early as I can get it in the rev range but also delivered in a nice progressive manner.

The tricky bit isn't extracting more power, it's getting that power in a useable form, There is no point in having the power to pull you through mud if you break traction every time you try to apply it.

Supercharging might still be a way forward.....

I'm already looking at 2-3k to follow the current path, supercharging could well be close to that cost.........

Sniper

More
05 Mar 2018 21:20 #189999 by sniper
danstengineering.co.uk/image/cache/data/...DSC_0195-500x500.JPG

Look the absolute dogs do da's and good for over 160hp so I think they'll handle my proposed 120hp.

Sniper

More
05 Mar 2018 21:24 #190000 by sniper
www.japspeed.co.uk/media/catalog/product...5/z/z/zz02557-01.jpg

Looks like it would be readily modified for RWD, 1/2 hr TIG welding and boom. Only £158 too.

Sniper

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds