BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Smoggy's 'Rockwatt' monster rebuild

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2016 21:04 - 10 Mar 2016 21:16 #163593 by Smoggy
Smoggy's 'Rockwatt' monster rebuild was created by Smoggy
Well I'm very excited to announce that after my amateur efforts at building my off-road Jimny I have been saving hard for the past year and bought a load of new parts and adorned the master of rebuilds Redacted with considerable funds to build me a monster. I have purchased 5x 35x12.5 Maxxis Trepadors along with some funky steel wheels (will be beadlocked by Redacted himself). These will be rolling on Yota axles with trail gear 4340 internals, six shooter hubs and ARB lockers front and rear. The guy I bought them from had already ground them down for preparation, Redacted is going to move the front axle to a more forward position and the rear axle further back for improved approach departure angles along with removing the 4.5" ORA lift kit (which I will be selling complete) and replacing with a 3link setup for greater articulation.

To accommodate the articulation of the axles the bonnet is being redefined and the headlights moved inwards to make the previously 5 sectioned grille a 3 section. This is being finished off with custom front wings to smarten up the package. Richard is also chopping the shell to convert it into a trayback/pickup rear (final details still being discussed). This will be protected by an all encompassing external cage extending around the front to protect the wings and to the rear to cover the pickup sides. Instead of fitting rocksliders Redacted will be fabricating 3mm box section sills to which the cage will mount. 2x20" light bars will be fitted to the cage above the windscreen (which I recently purchased from Black Oak LED in the USA).

I have also bought 2x high output ARB compressors into which Redacted is going to make a self contained waterproof enclosure and air tank fed by breather tubes for the lockers and tyre inflation etc. My 6.5 transfer box has been sold and the funds have gone towards a more suitably ratio' d box as fitted to Dave bits for vits Jimny protected by a one off special Redacted cradle.

I already had a Goodwinch 9.5 winch on the front loaded with dyneema which Redacted is going to service for me and move to the rear. A second Goodwinch 9.5 (dyneema) I have bought is going to be fitted by Redacted also to a more suitable position at the front.

Rich is going to finish the whole thing off with a nice spray job though I haven't decided what colour to have it sprayed yet (Rockwatt said as lond as it's not camo lol though I don't think even that would be a challenge for a man of Redacted s talents).

If there's enough money left in the kitty I hope to have Richard make me some stainless steel tool chests for my recovery gear to fit the pickup beD.

Rich said the work is expected to take upto 6 months (it's a lot of work and the top man is a busy fella) but Redacted is going to post me weekly progress pics which I will post on here for you guys.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2016 21:16 by Smoggy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2016 21:11 #163594 by Halford
Awesome, a smog monster comeff

Any colour will do so long as its not middlesbrough ones

;)

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2016 21:15 #163595 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Smoggy's 'Rockwatt' monster rebuild
Oh dear Halford there's a thought. If we go up into the premiership then Mighty Boro colours it may be

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2016 21:26 #163596 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Smoggy's 'Rockwatt' monster rebuild
Wow. Sounds ace. Can't wait to see the finished truck

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2016 21:28 #163597 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Smoggy's 'Rockwatt' monster rebuild
Sounds like a great build can't wait to see some pics :P I think my insurance would cost more than the build :woohoo:

6 months! No chance of getting a roof rack or front bump stops now then :whistle: :woohoo:

Bet you can't wait now ;)

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2016 21:38 #163599 by Smoggy
Some pics of the axles and trail gear parts I bought:

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2016 21:39 #163600 by Smoggy
Can't mate. So excited.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2016 02:15 #163606 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Smoggy's 'Rockwatt' monster rebuild

Smoggy wrote: Can't mate. So excited.

This looks interesting :)

So.. Have to ask..

What kind of suspension are you going after? Coilovers, airshocks perhaps?? B)

Can't remember what engine you have.. But 35" tyres with the 1.3 ... Hmm Hope it'll be okay :)

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2016 06:54 #163608 by Smoggy

TomDK wrote:

So.. Have to ask..

Can't remember what engine you have.. But 35" tyres with the 1.3 ... Hmm Hope it'll be okay :)

No Tom it has a 1.6 engine in. I was going to fit an Isuzu 1.7td but Redacted said that the 1.6 motor I have in is perfectly acceptable. I'm not yet sure on the finer details of the suspension setup with the exception of the points I've already mentioned.

More
11 Mar 2016 09:18 #163615 by X8GGY
I saw it when I was there having my transfer box fitted Smoggy B)

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2016 10:06 #163616 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Smoggy's 'Rockwatt' monster rebuild

Smoggy wrote:

TomDK wrote:

So.. Have to ask..

No Tom it has a 1.6 engine in. I was going to fit an Isuzu 1.7td but Redacted said that the 1.6 motor I have in is perfectly acceptable. I'm not yet sure on the finer details of the suspension setup with the exception of the points I've already mentioned.

Agree with Richard. Diesel is for farmers :D

Looking forward to seeing more on this project :)

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2016 10:36 #163617 by Smoggy
Yes Dave it's been lurking. Now the main man's on the job though

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds