BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
24 Mar 2016 12:17 #164299 by X8GGY
Found a rarity today...

Genuine Suzuki Tailored Seat Cover for my co-pilot's seat ;)

Rediscovered whilst having a tidy... B)
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
  • Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2016 12:56 #164300 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Result!!!!! ;)

(Thought there was some new seats/armchairs from the buggy going in Dave?)
More
27 Mar 2016 15:16 #164438 by X8GGY
With the Post Office refurbishment complete, back to the Jimny... and investigate and fix the rear shaft...

Ahhh, whoops, that'll be the problem then?! The original shaft on the left seems somewhat shorter than the replacement one from J999PRE on the right? There seems to be a bit missing off the end? LOL :lol:

Ahhh... there's the end of it! The splined portion is stuck in the (air-locker) diff...

Tried grabbing it with long nose pliers, but it didn't want to come out... so went through the other side with a thin engineering punch to get it out...

The offending piece...

Got this week now to get some new bearings onto the replacement shafts, and then rebuild everything...

And swap the brake pads on the back... which have both worn unevenly? Any thoughts and ideas welcome... ?
More
27 Mar 2016 16:17 #164445 by X8GGY
I'd normally be really down :( about a (Vitara) shaft breakage, having done so many in my time offroading Suzukis (25 years now!), but considering this was the Jimny's 24th outing, that's a fantastic non-breakage rate B)

I will go to the TG (Trail Gear) HD rear shafts when they become available (from JimnyBits), but for now I'll replace the shafts with the ones sourced from James Priestley... So, new ABS bearings and axle oil seals just ordered from the BigJimny store! I'll get these fitted to the replacement shafts later in the week by my local friendly garage (asked Martin to send the bearings Special Delivery and sent extra funds for the extra cost of postage), and will then rebuild it probably weekend after next (10th) as we'll be stocktaking in the shop next weekend (3rd)... Although I may start earlier if the parts are available and I can sneak off from work for a few hours ;)
More
28 Mar 2016 11:03 #164501 by X8GGY
More
28 Mar 2016 14:42 #164523 by X8GGY

Swifty wrote: How many miles have those rear pads done?

According to my blog(s) they were fitted in early June '15

So since then we've done - a weekend in the Lake District (20th & 21st June), a local wander on the 22/7, Shropshire on the 26/7, local wander on 10/8, another on the 18/8 and then again on the 23/8, Bala 4x4 on the 27/9, Lakes again on the 18/10, Shropshire on the 8/11, Worcester on the 13/12. Xmas laning around Llangollen on the 27/12, the Peak District on the 31/1/16, North Wales on the 22/2 and Machynlleth (one way, as came back on an AA truck!) on the 15th of this month...

So a fair few miles for an offroader...?

Russ at JimnyBits has kindly offered to send me some shims to space the rear disks out a bit so that they sit more central in the calipers, hoping that will sort out the uneven wear...

Maverick (Brett) who has the same kit on his green "Jalepeno" Jimny has said he thinks his are "always on" a bit...?

And I've recounted to him that when I had a Calmini Super Articulation kit on my old Vitara that it then used to droop far enough that the handbrake cable went taught and applied the brake to the side of the axle that was drooping... maybe that's happening a little too?

We do expect these sort of things to wear out faster on an offroad vehicle though? And they are still loads better, more maintenance free than running rear drums in the mud?...

Dave B)
More
28 Mar 2016 16:30 #164532 by mlines
That's interesting, I had a rival kit and the pads wore down cheese shaped (wedge shape) within a couple of events, so at least the wear is even across the pad itself. You should see the rear pads and discs from my Range Rover after launching the boat in salt water! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Let me know how it goes, parts shipped special delivery tomorrow

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
  • OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2016 18:13 #164537 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Uneven pad wear could be a combination of the brake piston not retracting fully and/or the caliper not floating correctly.
More
28 Mar 2016 18:35 #164538 by X8GGY

mlines wrote: That's interesting, I had a rival kit and the pads wore down cheese shaped (wedge shape) within a couple of events, so at least the wear is even across the pad itself. You should see the rear pads and discs from my Range Rover after launching the boat in salt water! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Let me know how it goes, parts shipped special delivery tomorrow

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks Martin ;) Impecable service as always! B)

Hopefully with the shim behind the disk, and I'll jack it up to full droop and see if the brake goes on if the handbrake cable does go taut, and a new set of pads on (windey brake tool already ordered)... Should be ok for another dozen trips or so... I can live with a set of cheap pads from time to time... another consumable part :whistle:
More
28 Mar 2016 18:40 #164539 by X8GGY

OllieNZ wrote: Uneven pad wear could be a combination of the brake piston not retracting fully and/or the caliper not floating correctly.

Thanks Ollie...

The calipers were new in June with the kit, they come as an option - www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/jimny/brakes/ji...n-kit/prod_1405.html - rather than using calipers from a breaker / salvage yard, so they should be alright? :unsure:
  • wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2016 19:00 #164540 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
You could swap the pads over after every couple of trips out so they wear evenly :)
  • OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2016 19:04 #164541 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
It could be a flaw in the mounting that's preventing them floating. It's an issue we suffer a lot on the aircraft at work. Could be something simple like copperslip plus brake dust and heat = solid mass or something a bit more subtle like a brake line pulling the caliper in one direction or another. It doesn't take much external pressure to twist on the caliper to cause the pins to bind and stop it floating. Maybe worth another look at the installation if it still uses the stock park brake cables they could be causing the issue especially during articulation
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds