BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Recovery Tracks?

More
23 May 2021 19:15 #235298 by wjamieson
Recovery Tracks? was created by wjamieson
Not sure if this is the correct forum? Not strictly Jimny hence the Lounge as opposed to anywhere else. Anyone experience of using recovery tracks. MaxTrax and Tred seem to be the go to boards with the best reviews from Aus but they also cost over £250. Other two which get quite good reviews and cost less than £100 are Rhino and Noryb tracks. Would only be looking to use them for occasional use and to give some additional piece of mind when exploring on my own. Don't want the additional weight of a winch and will not be going anywhere extreme.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2021 19:27 #235299 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Recovery Tracks?
In the UK you will see what we call waffle boards
Cheap strong and grippy 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wjamieson

More
24 May 2021 09:38 #235308 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Recovery Tracks?

Not sure if this is the correct forum? Not strictly Jimny hence the Lounge as opposed to anywhere else. Anyone experience of using recovery tracks. MaxTrax and Tred seem to be the go to boards with the best reviews from Aus but they also cost over £250. Other two which get quite good reviews and cost less than £100 are Rhino and Noryb tracks. Would only be looking to use them for occasional use and to give some additional piece of mind when exploring on my own. Don't want the additional weight of a winch and will not be going anywhere extreme.

I'm guessing you are in the UK?

I've never used and don't own any sort of track. However I can see how they could be useful in some situations. I suspect their best use is likely proactively, i.e. you spot a situation and use them to prevent you becoming stuck. Using them for recovery purposes is likely a lot harder. I know there are good vids of people in Oz using them on sand and the like. But the UK is generally rather short of that kind of terrain. If you are stuck, you'll likely need to dig to get the tracks where you want them. So you'll need a spade/shovel too. But I'd guess most UK terrain would be bloody hard to dig down to use these.

If by exploring you mean green laning. Then I suspect they have quite limited real world use. The Gen 4 Jimny has traction control, so being cross axled isn't an issue either, which would be the most likely use of a track/waffle board.

I guess you could use them to be able to drive over a fallen tree (assuming the trunk diameter isn't too great). Apart from that, I'm just not seeing many/any situations where I'd consider using them. Taking a friend with you in a 2nd vehicle or fitting a winch is likely a much better investment overall.

Also with the Jimny, physically carrying boards/tracks is its own issue. Not a lot of space for them apart from on the roof.

More
24 May 2021 11:18 #235312 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Recovery Tracks?
I'm thinking along the same lines as 300bhpton.Green Lanes are legal routes for any road legal vehicle and are generally acceptable for use without excessive kit such as recovery boards. From experience I would recommend a small hand winch with a 5 metre length of 18mm 3 strand nylon rope together with suitable rated shackles. This setup will pull you front back and sideways. It's compact enough to stow in the small box at the rear of your Jimny. A 1200mm board is inconvenient and limited in what it can do.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: wjamieson, 300bhpton

More
24 May 2021 19:09 #235328 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Recovery Tracks?
There was one lane I did in 2019 that was quite badly rutted, at one point I just managed to straddle the deepest rut which would have left me grounded on the axel if I was unable to. That is what made me go and buy some tracks, as a couple of them wedged into the bottom of the rut would have been enough to make tyre contact.

More
24 May 2021 20:03 #235332 by wjamieson
Replied by wjamieson on topic Recovery Tracks?
I did not realise I would have to justify why.   Recovery boards are marketed as good for sand, mud and snow. Yes not a lot of sand in Scotland but lots of mud and snow. And I intend further trips to Europe exploring offroad trails such as Portugal and the Pyrenees. In an ideal scenario I would always travel with someone else but this is not always practical. Yes a winch would be useful but don't want to carry a winch around for 95% of the time I wont be offroad. I have and am still considering manual winch. However mounting track to the load bars when I go off exploring is very doable. Biggest area of concern for me being mud and that is where I think they would be helpful and as already mentioned my someone else helping you get over some of the more awkward trails as well as bridging gaps. Also useful for levelling the car when camping. So my original question about paying top price for known brand as compared to cheaper less well known brand. Thanks for the suggesting about waffle boards definitely an option worth considering. 

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 May 2021 20:18 #235333 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Recovery Tracks?
Personally I would have a set of maxtrax as to my mind they're immensely useful on a standard height Jimny where approach angles aren't always up to climbing obstacles that might not bother a defender or lifted Jimny which reduces stress on both my vehicle and the terrain. However I would be venturing to a few of the off road shows to check for bargains. But you do get what you pay for.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 May 2021 20:30 #235334 by wjamieson
Replied by wjamieson on topic Recovery Tracks?
Can you share a link to the type of winch you are suggesting. The hand winches I have seen tend to be fairly bulky and heavy so would appreciate identifying what you have in mind. Thank you

More
24 May 2021 21:03 #235335 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Recovery Tracks?
I don't have any but I'm considering getting some. Together with a spade (I carry a small jeep spade behind the front seats) they will definitely help get you out of some sticky spots. Obviously they won't work in all situations, but no recovery method does. I'm tempted by the cheaper ones. The Jimny is that much lighter than most 4x4s that the potentially lower build quality shouldn't be an issue.

More
25 May 2021 06:55 #235341 by Soeley
Is  THIS  the type you mean, rather than the ones with a crank handle. I guess the crank handle type need a solid surface to mount to?

More
25 May 2021 06:59 #235342 by Soeley
  Even cheaper  with good reviews.

More
25 May 2021 08:51 #235344 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Recovery Tracks?
This is my Jac.Lift. It is/was made by Comet Industries of Richmond USA.
It's at least 40 years old and still going strong. The one shown by Soeley does the same thing and would be more than adequate and is a lot more practical than an electric winch, in my opinion.

Roger

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds