BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Interesting to Follow

• zukebob
  • zukebob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
25 Feb 2021 03:09 - 25 Feb 2021 03:55 #233248 by zukebob
Folks in the UK may already be tuned into this as news from your area doesn't reach us in a timely manner. Although synthetic fuel isn't brand new, this is the first I have read about this kind of carbon footprint reduction. I'll be searching through Google today.

Synthetic Fuel

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 25 Feb 2021 03:55 by zukebob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Feb 2021 05:08 #233250 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Interesting to Follow
I have read the evo thing and it supports my assertion that it's not the car or indeed the engine that are the problem, its the fuel they burn. The future is not batteries. The future is hydrogen for the masses and sustainable fuel for the enthusiast be they biofuel like peanut oil for diesel or ethanol for petrol or the new synthetic types. We don't have to give up cars to give up with fossil fuel.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Old Neil

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2021 06:50 #233251 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic Interesting to Follow
Ineos are about to launch their Grenadier, they are the biggest chemical company in the country, he's teamed up with Hyundai as they are working on using Hydrogen fuel. Ineos apparently make thousands of tonnes of hydrogen, it is a by product of creating chlorine I think, so obviously in his best interest to get into hydrogen powered cars.

I sometimes work for a semi retired scientist, and over 10 years ago we were talking about wind farms and power storage. At the time he was working with a start up who had managed to liquify air by massive compression. As he said, once you can do that it can be tanked and transported, he also pointed out that it wouldn't be a big leap to run an ICE on compressed air, like a back to front compressor. Obviously is easier with liguid nitrogen, but he said if it were to leak in your garage, you would be axphixiated. The liquid air is now in the public domain, read it on BBC news website.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Feb 2021 07:31 #233253 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Interesting to Follow
This is it, we have some very bright people working through some very clever ideas to get away from the reliance on fossil energy.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Feb 2021 07:57 - 25 Feb 2021 08:06 #233254 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Interesting to Follow
It is all energy. Problem with them all is storage and distribution.
It is not like Oil and gas has an easy way from the oil fields to your car or stove, but for the most other sources there is no obvious or well developed supply chain.
It is hard to compete with the subsidised oil industry.
Supply vessels in the north sea oil and gas industry gets the fuel for free, so there is little or no fuel save efforts..
Meanwhile in Norway where there is alot of green electricity:
www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan...-market-share-norway

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2021 08:06 by yakuza.

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2021 13:09 #233256 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic Interesting to Follow
One of the ideas floated with the liquified air, was to put the plant at the bottom of wind turbines to 'collect' in used power overnight etc, then use the stored air to run a turbine under heavy use periods.

More
25 Feb 2021 22:24 #233277 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Interesting to Follow
Best idea I heard with surplus wind power was to use it to pump water back up into reservoirs for hydroelectric plamts. The only way you can make wind power truly Green imo. Kills too many birds,, destroy nature with installations, cost too much money and co2 to make them. Wind generator industry needs to get more efficient.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
26 Feb 2021 12:52 #233301 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Interesting to Follow
Yes, water pump storage plants are the most efficient way to „store“ electricity with about 50% to 70% efficiency. But for this mountains are required - probably not a big problem in Norway and also Austria.
Other ways are to temporarily reduce the flow of river run off plants (actually 100%) or in the future battery storage (50%) or H2 (30%).
The best way would be to use the electricity when it is available and not use it when not available, e.g., charge the cars, wash, heat the house, etc. dependent on availability.

More
26 Feb 2021 13:32 #233304 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Interesting to Follow
Nuclear power backed up with wind and solar are obvious ways to generate the power in the first place. Storage is a different problem, unfortunately we don't have the space for large pump storage schemes in the UK, so batteries are an obvious choice.

A plant in Humberside (Hornsea I think) has just been given the go ahead to produce Hydrogen with spare electricity from wind turbines.

Unless of course you fancy a nuclear powered car like 'Back to the Furure' DeLoren? Perhaps then we could 88MPH in a Jimny.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds