BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Battery upgrade

More
12 Feb 2021 21:28 - 12 Feb 2021 21:29 #232737 by HUN
Battery upgrade was created by HUN
Hi braintrust I need some help.

I found confusing pros and cons about fitting a new bigger battery into my other (Toyota) car.

Old battery was 12V 70Ah 700A

The new has identical physical size but rated as 12V 80Ah 740A

Some say it will slowly kill my alternator over time because it won't be able to keep up with the increased demand of charge capacity.
On top of this the oversized battery might never get fully charged due the low output of charging current.

Please advise

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 12 Feb 2021 21:29 by HUN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2021 22:23 - 12 Feb 2021 22:29 #232738 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Battery upgrade
Hi
Nope, that's nonsense in my opinion and experience.
I Would happily fit that larger battery and do nothing with the charging system. It's fair to say that if your current battery is going flat with your use profile, then the larger battery is not going to help. In this instance you should look at a larger output Alternator or just drive around a bit longer.
I fitted a much larger battery on my Scimitar to improve the CCA starting, never damaged the standard Alternator. I also increased the cable sizes to the starter etc, so I kept a watch on cable loadings.
The ratings on your two batteries are very similar, 10AH more and 40 more starting, not much to worry about.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 12 Feb 2021 22:29 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HUN

More
12 Feb 2021 22:46 - 12 Feb 2021 22:51 #232739 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Battery upgrade
As above, larger battery will be fine and have a better reserve particularly if you have extra electrical devices such as lights, a winch etc

lt won't kill the alternator, it's designed to deliver charge as needed and the output is regulated so it will be fine.

lf it's (say) a 60A alternator it won't wear out any quicker delivering 60A than it would delivering 30A.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2021 22:51 by lightning.

More
13 Feb 2021 00:35 - 13 Feb 2021 00:45 #232740 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Battery upgrade
My jimny no longer got a 45Ah lead acid but a 70 Ah AGM Battery. Same original alternator
Has been great especially now with 10-15 degrees of the cold blue ones.
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...kuza?start=96#217746

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2021 00:45 by yakuza.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Feb 2021 05:15 #232741 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Battery upgrade
My local motor factor sold me a replacement a while ago that was from memory something like 45ah and 320cca. It was alleged to be correct for my Jimny. 3 years later and it wouldn't cope with the radio on for 10 minutes without the engine. Went back to get a new replacement and this new one is also alleged to be the correct one for my Jimny but it's like 15ah more and about 80 more cca. Just because you have one older battery in don't assume it's the correct one if it's not the original factory fitted one.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Feb 2021 06:25 #232742 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Battery upgrade
Thank you all! New bigger one has been ordered! 

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

More
13 Feb 2021 19:13 #232755 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Battery upgrade
My first car was a 1968 Triumph Herald.

That car didn't have an alternator, it was a dynamo, which if course doesn't charge the battery at low engine speeds (such as when sitting in traffic)

After a few winter mornings when the car wouldn't start, and the postman changing his round so he didn't have to push start me, my boss provided me with the spare battery from his Rolls Royce.

lt was twice the size of mine and only just fitted on the battery tray in the Triumph.

After that l never had any issues starting the car, in fact l was even able to use the lights, heater and radio without risk of the thing not starting come home time.

The charging system and dynamo seemed to cope OK and nothing burnt out or failed.

More
13 Feb 2021 21:11 #232759 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Battery upgrade
Generally, the alternator has to deliver the energy that was drained from the battery and this does not depend on the size of the battery.

If the battery is bigger, then it also can take more charge and in this case then the battery would be charged quicker with higher amps. The amps are limited by the maximum output of the alternator. So therefore the battery can be larger, even considerably larger, without any problem.

And a new, good battery will be more efficient and charge easier, thereby actually reducing the required output of the alternator.

More
13 Feb 2021 22:47 #232761 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Battery upgrade
I think we have a unanimous yes on this and it's something I plan to do when my current battery fails.

Hun - what's the battery code on the unit you have ordered?

To expand on this what "larger" battery have people fitted into the standard holder?

Could be interesting to have a list of options.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
14 Feb 2021 08:03 - 14 Feb 2021 08:58 #232763 by HUN
Scimike

If I were to get a new battery to my Jimny I would go for Yuasa YBX5057 50Ah 450A at this moment.
238mm x 129mm x 223mm
This battery seemingly has T1 standard type terminal posts hence it's not a direct replacement of the factory one.
The genuine T3 (Japan - small) terminal clamps would have to be changed to T1 standard type!
It comes with an adapter on terminal posts so it can be fitted to both T1 and T3 applications!

My question in this topic was a general one about battery upgrade, not related specificly to Jimny:

"I found confusing pros and cons about fitting a new bigger battery into my other (Toyota) car."

Therefore I've ordered a Yuasa YBX5096 80Ah 740A which will perfectly fit to my Toyota Avensis 2011.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 14 Feb 2021 08:58 by HUN.

More
14 Feb 2021 08:59 #232764 by HUN
Getting there....

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

More
14 Feb 2021 09:07 #232765 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Battery upgrade
I have just replaced my Jimny battery after a year and a bit of having a bad alternator damaged the first one.

The one I had (and the one I replaced it with) was this exact battery - works great!

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds