BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

RUST Protection ! - A Product test for your Motorbike (or Jimny)

More
03 Nov 2020 15:32 #229645 by Scimike
It's been a little slow this year with lockdown etc, so to alleviate the boredom I decided to do some product tests on claimed Motorcycle / Bike protection films.

If you have a motorbike / cycle this may be of interest. The following products are commonly used by motorcyclist to keep corrosion at bay on their pride and joy, but which actually work?
To decide I conducted a round of corrosion tests on mild steel plates, each treated with the product and left for 7 days, salt spray each day. One sheet left untreated as a control. The winner of test 1 was tested again in test 2, just to be sure.

PRODUCTS:-
ACF-50
Car wax
XCP ONE
Scottoiler FS 365
Muc Off Motorcycle Protector

Test 1

Result

Test 2

Result

And the winner is ACF-50. Which is what I used..... Also tested Mr Sheen and WD40, they appeared no better than nothing.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: facade, Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2020 15:52 #229647 by Roger Fairclough
Thank you Scimike, a down to earth practical test that is far more believable than the lab. tests the manufacturers put out. It also proves that WD40 is useless at rust prevention.
It's good at water displacement and silencing squealing water pump belts but not much else.

Roger

More
03 Nov 2020 16:59 #229648 by facade
I've given up with the magic fluids now, and keep my 'bike in The Worlds Most Expensive Plastic Bag, along with about 2kg of silica gel, it seemed to work last year.

Not much good if you want to ride it, but I made that mistake with my last Guzzi, and let it get wet one time, it dissolved as fast as the Harley. I'm a dry weather biker now :)

As regards Magic Fluids, the one the pushbike boys rave over is JL69, I have a can which seemed to work quite well, but when I sprayed it into my LED torch, it eventually turned the epoxy lens on the LED yellow. (but it did save the contacts from the Curse of Duracell)

However, I see it now has an "improved biodegradable formula" so it probably isn't as good as the old stock.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
03 Nov 2020 17:53 #229652 by Barry silver SZ5
Another thank you Scimike. Just copied in my son who is awaiting his delivery of ACF50 to protect his new Ducati Panigal so he is pleased to receive your research to confirm his choice. He loves driving my SZ5 as much as his 0 to 60 in odd seconds Ducati

More
03 Nov 2020 18:39 - 03 Nov 2020 18:44 #229655 by lightning
Great review.

l've switched to ACF 50 after it was previously recommended on here. Although it's expensive l use it on the Jimny and it does seem highly effective, the coating doesn't wash off and remains tacky.

As for my motorcycle, well that's never seen rain which is a bit sad l know, but as it's just for nice days then why would l go out on it in the rain lol

Fair weather biker that's me

Cycling.....well that's a different matter, in fact l have just returned from a mountain bike ride soaking wet and covered in mud, and it was a great ride.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2020 18:44 by lightning.

More
03 Nov 2020 21:35 #229666 by Soeley
This is quite an interesting video on the rust inhibitor effects of different snowfoams, go to 6 min 30 seconds for that part.

The following user(s) said Thank You: facade

More
04 Nov 2020 12:23 #229678 by facade
I've ordered a gallon of the Bilt-Hamber :)

I have to say the snow foam lance was quite a disappointment, maybe with bilt-hamber it might actually work ;)

My garage is full of half bottles and tins of magic fluids and waxes that claim to clean and polish the car to a mirror finish simply by wafting a few squirts in its vicinity, not one of them has ever worked like the advert. :(

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds