BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Portable Speakers?

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 May 2019 05:41 #209157 by Lambert
Portable speakers? was created by Lambert
Hi. Are there any decent portable bluetooth speakers out there that you could reasonably use to replace the system in a Jimny? As in loud and clear enough and possibly linkable in pairs to overcome the general noise of driving ? I'm thinking of doing away with the built in firstly because of theft issues and secondly it is all less weight.

Thanks in advance.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2019 06:42 #209158 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic Re:Portable speakers?

Lambert wrote: Hi. Are there any decent portable bluetooth speakers out there that you could reasonably use to replace the system in a Jimny? As in loud and clear enough and possibly linkable in pairs to overcome the general noise of driving ? I'm thinking of doing away with the built in firstly because of theft issues and secondly it is all less weight.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have a Bose soundlink mini and cannot fault it

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 May 2019 06:45 #209159 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Portable speakers?
Ooh I didn't know they did such a thing. Looking now. Thank you!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2019 07:54 #209160 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Re:Portable speakers?
Mechless one in the glove box it will way less than the two portable. So you want to try and mount two portable Bluetooth speakers somewhere in your Jimny every time you get in and go somewhere? I personally don't think there is any benifit to this.

More
29 May 2019 08:18 - 29 May 2019 08:37 #209162 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:Portable speakers?
There's no doubt that Bose speakers are very very good, but they are pricey.

As I do a lot of travelling to far away places ending up in hotels with foreign yukspeak TV, I have an iPhone with huge memory containing my entire record collection and my own travel speaker, a Anker Soundcore which I think would be loud enough however compare it to the Souncore 2 as that might be a newer model.
I also have a Soundcore Mini which I use while say, working long jobs in the hangar in a freight bay or inside the cabin. That too is fantastic - I can hang it on my belt, but it might not produce the volume you might need in a car.
I've owned these for about four years and they get a hard life while I'm travelling, bashed around in bags etc and they've stood up to it well.
There are plenty of reviews on YouTube comparing Bose v Anker Soundcore - This is just one of many .
I chose the Anker because the price was so low and the performance difference so relatively little. I felt if I was going to lose or get it broken I would be more upset if I lost or smashed the expensive Bose.

As an aside, while onboard the jet and travelling I chose THESE over the Bose Quiet Comforts and I'm very pleased.

Bear in mind if you play music via bluetooth, stored on your phone, there are apps that you can use as 'graphic sound equalizers' to adjust the bass/mid-range/treble - I use one called EQ10

EDIT:
I for got to mention this - you can link two Soundcore Minis together - I've never done it but I know it can be done - they're designed to do it - worth thinking about for a vehicle - also battery life on those little grenade-sized speakers lasts all day and longer, and I work 12 hour shifts! Sound quality is important to me and they are quite amazing.
To date, the only thing I've heard that's similar size and might be marginally better sound is the JBL Clip (a pill-shaped thing) but I think the battery roughly lasts half the time. (one of the lads at work had one, and I was impressed)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 29 May 2019 08:37 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 May 2019 08:44 #209163 by Lambert

Daniel30 wrote: Mechless one in the glove box it will way less than the two portable. So you want to try and mount two portable Bluetooth speakers somewhere in your Jimny every time you get in and go somewhere? I personally don't think there is any benifit to this.

I use my phone as my preferred source and really the hu is only there as an interface to amplify the signal. I always remove the fascia from it but not having one is better still. Also from what is being said one portable should be sufficiently loud and I can be used outside at work too without the need to flatten the car battery.

It's not just the hu there's the drivers, enclosures and wires that all count for the weight saving. That could be like 10kg all done!

More
29 May 2019 09:18 - 29 May 2019 09:19 #209166 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:Portable speakers?
For the theft issue it is possible to mount a hidden amplifier with bluetooth reciever and use better or good built in speakers.
Visible JBL or BOSE or any good loose BT speakers would be a invite for the thiefs i guess?

Still amazed by the fact that theft from cars is still an issue in as here in Norway it is more or less gone. Some brand new beamers get their smart steering wheel stolen from time to time from foreign gangs raiding complete chains of dealers.
And some times we hear of new cars disappearing, they often end up in eastern europe.
But from old cars, do not think i heard of that for twenty years.
A friend of mine got his old mazda 323 stolen three times in Oslo twenty years ago and the last time the thief had put a better car stereo in it..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 29 May 2019 09:19 by yakuza.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 May 2019 09:49 #209169 by Lambert
Unfortunately the UK seems to be in the middle of a sustained period of car crime both of and from cars. Can't have anything nice these days without some swine wanting to steal it.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2019 11:03 #209180 by Daniel30

Lambert wrote:

Daniel30 wrote: Mechless one in the glove box it will way less than the two portable. So you want to try and mount two portable Bluetooth speakers somewhere in your Jimny every time you get in and go somewhere? I personally don't think there is any benifit to this.

I use my phone as my preferred source and really the hu is only there as an interface to amplify the signal. I always remove the fascia from it but not having one is better still. Also from what is being said one portable should be sufficiently loud and I can be used outside at work too without the need to flatten the car battery.

It's not just the hu there's the drivers, enclosures and wires that all count for the weight saving. That could be like 10kg all done!

Ah ok taking all that out does make a difference :)
I have a good Chinese copy if the bose, can't fault it and I think one would be enough.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2019 11:07 - 29 May 2019 11:10 #209181 by Daniel30

Daniel30 wrote:

Lambert wrote:

Ah ok taking all that out does make a difference :)
I have a good Chinese copy of the bose, can't fault it and I think one would be enough.

£21.99 on Amazon base is pretty good
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 May 2019 11:10 by Daniel30.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
30 May 2019 04:36 #209212 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Portable Speakers?
As it stands at the moment Dreadnaught only weighs 1160kg in full regular road driving trim. I have a further 85 kg that is easily removed for play days, things like the spare and it's carrier, the double floor mats, the timber rear load deck etc. Another 10 kg is closer to the mystic 1000kg goal and it would be all the time too which is better for general economy.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
30 May 2019 06:08 #209216 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Portable Speakers?
Nah. It's mostly the junk that I have to pick up every morning to do my job. And my lunch box! :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds