BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Kinda Makes You Pucker Up

• zukebob
  • zukebob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
15 Mar 2018 05:25 - 15 Mar 2018 05:26 #190429 by zukebob
Can't believe that someone this stupid decided to go off-road.

What not to do

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 15 Mar 2018 05:26 by zukebob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2018 08:24 #190433 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Kinda Makes You Pucker Up
Well if this guy could ....

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Mar 2018 11:05 #190443 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Kinda Makes You Pucker Up
They walk among us!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Mar 2018 20:52 #190464 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Kinda Makes You Pucker Up

zukebob wrote: Can't believe that someone this stupid decided to go off-road.

What does one do if sideways like that??

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
15 Mar 2018 20:57 #190466 by helijohn
Strewth, it just seemed to go over. He got down into the ditch so why couldn't he get up?

• zukebob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
16 Mar 2018 00:45 #190476 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Kinda Makes You Pucker Up

Lambert wrote: They walk among us!

:laugh: Yes they do.

Helijohn wrote: Strewth, it just seemed to go over. He got down into the ditch so why couldn't he get up?

I may be seeing it wrong but it looks to me like, after initially starting to slide and just prior to rolling, he made the decision to swing his front end around so that he could drive down the hill. I had a friend who went off-road for the first time in a Wrangler who did the same thing. Pucker time then too. Glad I was in my FJ40 at the time. Only by the grace of God did he not roll.

More
16 Mar 2018 00:56 #190478 by helijohn

zukebob wrote:

Lambert wrote: They walk among us!

:laugh: Yes they do.

Helijohn wrote: Strewth, it just seemed to go over. He got down into the ditch so why couldn't he get up?

I may be seeing it wrong but it looks to me like, after initially starting to slide and just prior to rolling, he made the decision to swing his front end around so that he could drive down the hill. I had a friend who went off-road for the first time in a Wrangler who did the same thing. Pucker time then too. Glad I was in my FJ40 at the time. Only by the grace of God did he not roll.

So he should have reversed is that what you mean?

More
16 Mar 2018 00:59 #190479 by helijohn
What about the one in the ditch. That looked like it was so easy to roll it that I would not go out on an adventure like that.

More
16 Mar 2018 01:06 #190481 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Kinda Makes You Pucker Up
The mistake was to get it sideways, be it from an attempt to turn around or loosing the direction in which the front wheels point.
I was always told that should you fail to get up a gradient you should ,as quickly as possible, select reverse gear and use the engine braking to "drive" it slowly back down, staying off the brakes.
I am no off road expert, but this does make sense as it avoids locking the wheels and sliding them which reduces your control of the vehicle.

Hope it never happens to me, but makes you realise how quickly things can go wrong.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• zukebob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
16 Mar 2018 01:39 #190483 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Kinda Makes You Pucker Up

Helijohn wrote: So he should have reversed is that what you mean?

Basically yes but throw in a little of what Scimike says.

Maybe I'm being too critical but I do know that someone going off-road needs to learn not only how to handle different types of terrain but how their vehicle handles that terrain. A combination of the reasonable capabilities of the driver and of the vehicle will usually keep you out of trouble. Taking the difficulty of off-roading trails a step at a time, you can usually learn how to recover in a situation like this.....not always but usually.

I guess bottom line for me is that he did what he wasn't capable of and may have paid a dear price.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Mar 2018 05:37 #190486 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Kinda Makes You Pucker Up

helijohn wrote: What about the one in the ditch. That looked like it was so easy to roll it that I would not go out on an adventure like that.

Essentially his approach angle to the side slope was too shallow and he gave it too much go at just the wrong time. When he got to the top of the ditch he had one wheel in the air and the two diagonal one's right on the cusp of the ditch with his lowest wheel having yet to make the transition from the bottom onto the side slope. When he sent it the lower corner started to drop relative to the plane of the chassis causing a rotation back into the ditch by the heaviest part of the car that was already way up in the air. If he had been just a little more forwards on to the edge so that only one wheel crested at a time and if he sent it just a little less hard it would have come straight out.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Mar 2018 08:23 #190490 by helijohn

Scimike wrote: The mistake was to get it sideways, be it from an attempt to turn around or loosing the direction in which the front wheels point.
I was always told that should you fail to get up a gradient you should ,as quickly as possible, select reverse gear and use the engine braking to "drive" it slowly back down, staying off the brakes.
I am no off road expert, but this does make sense as it avoids locking the wheels and sliding them which reduces your control of the vehicle.

Hope it never happens to me, but makes you realise how quickly things can go wrong.

Yeah my reaction was to keep it straight but it went over seemingly effortlessly. Nice Paj too. Wonder what they did with it!!

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds