BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Sell your bits!
NOTE: This is for members and their private sales/wants.
There are rules that suppliers have to follow (and many of you do follow the rules). However there have been a number of instances recently where "suppliers" have broken the rules.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum

For sale: 2005 Jimny - project

• Teachywitch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2020 12:49 #226904 by Teachywitch
For sale: 2005 Jimny - project was created by Teachywitch
Hi, I am selling my 2005 Jimny, 52k miles.

Bought in May 2019 from a trade dealer for £4k with MOT, tidy inside and used daily - subsequently I discovered it has issues!
Everything I know is below. Great project for the right person, so I'm told :)

52,300 miles

SORNed since Dec 2019.
Last MOT May 2019

Info from local garages:
  • Some problems it has may be fixed with replacing the front axle, hubs, wheel bearings
    4WD has been disconnected:
    Rear prop shaft from transfer box to rear axle missing so permanent 2WD
    4WD vacuum system to include metal pipes and rubber braided pipes are corroded and perished and are not connected.
    Surface rust but frame believed to be sound
    NSF & OSF swivel hubs are heavily pitted, both seals are leaking. On information received this problem cannot be sorted with new seals alone. Swivel hubs cannot be separated from the axle as they are part of the axle and welded into place, so a new or reconditioned axle required.
    NSF wheel bearing needs replacing due to heavy mechanical noise. Wheel bearing is noisy on rotation and has play.
    OSF tyre inner wall has been contaminated with oil leaking from swivel seal rendering the rubber soft and pliable.
    Needs at least 1 new tyre.

Make me an offer!
Sold as seen, needs work, not a runner.
Collect from Penzance area - buyer will need to arrange trailer/recovery.
Not listed for sale elsewhere yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2020 14:57 #226909 by Scimike
Sorry to see this did not get resolved, I remember you asking back before Covid about the issues you have highlighted.
When you say "not a runner" I assume you mean its got no MOT or have things gone from bad to worse?
Not in the market myself but I hope you get someone interested, its a perfect off road project or for someone with space and time.

Mike.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teachywitch

• Teachywitch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2020 15:39 - 18 Aug 2020 15:40 #226911 by Teachywitch
Replied by Teachywitch on topic For sale: 2005 Jimny - project
Thanks Mike, I just wanted to be sure someone doesn't think they can drive it away as the local garages think it's not safe to drive in its current state. No new issues except it's been standing now for a few months. I gave it a quick run around the farm mid lockdown after jump-starting. A couple more garage chaps have looked at it and only one person seems to think it's worth saving. Citizens Advice thinks take dealer to small claims court but solicitor advises against it! :(
Last edit: 18 Aug 2020 15:40 by Teachywitch.

More
18 Aug 2020 15:42 - 18 Aug 2020 15:43 #226912 by mlines
To be honest it sounds like a straight forward job for the right person to get it back on the road.

Standard front axle work of bearings and clean up, despite what garages say these never really need the axle replacing. Those balls do not look too bad compared with some I have seen.
Manual hubs to be fitted
New propshaft for the rear (plus find out why it was removed - rear diff issue?)
If it wasnt in Cornwall, I would have taken it on.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 18 Aug 2020 15:43 by mlines.

More
18 Aug 2020 16:09 #226915 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic For sale: 2005 Jimny - project
ASK on SOUTH WEST JIMNYS if you sell it on .

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
18 Aug 2020 16:21 #226916 by Riccy
I echo Martin... The front axle looks in good condition really. The comment about pitted swivels would be relevant on a landrover, but not with a Jimny as its just there to keep debris out, not oil in.

Rebuild the kingpin bearings, wheel bearings and all the seals. Probs cost around £200 in parts and is easy DIY stuff. While its in bits it would be wise to bung new brake disc/pads on for little more.

New tyre if thats suspect and as Martin says; a bit of investigation about the rear axle. It could have been altered for many reasons, but I would hazard a guess that its because the transfer box has got stuck in 4x4. If it was diff related there would still be some horrible noises with the prop removed.

Raymond Edwards (Rhino Ray) is down south somewhere, He would sort it out easily enough...

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Teachywitch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2020 06:05 #226953 by Teachywitch
Thanks, where do I find them? Searched on here, Facebook and Google but can't see South West Jimnys...

More
19 Aug 2020 07:22 #226956 by mlines

Teachywitch wrote: Thanks, where do I find them? Searched on here, Facebook and Google but can't see South West Jimnys...

I suspect "South West Jimnys" is a Facebook group

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Teachywitch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2020 08:33 - 19 Aug 2020 13:19 #226959 by Teachywitch
Ah found it - Bristol & SW, plus a couple of others thanks
Last edit: 19 Aug 2020 13:19 by Teachywitch.

• Teachywitch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2020 17:17 #226994 by Teachywitch
Now also listed for sale on several Jimny facebook groups.

More
20 Aug 2020 04:55 #227016 by Keithy
Half a day and it'd be as good as 99% of Jimnys on the road...

More
20 Aug 2020 13:03 #227039 by DrRobin
Sorry to hear you never got it resolved and it is a shame that the dealer you bought it from was so far away, otherwise I would have just taken it back and demanded a refund, they sold you a dodgy car.

If they didn't refund or fix it I would have gone straight to trading standards.

A real shame.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds