Report it here.

Red tray back

• lindsay
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2015 21:26 #146184 by lindsay
Replied by lindsay on topic Re:Red tray back
so what about a cobra with bow2 overvolted?
it would be lighter and cheaper,

p.s am new to this lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2015 22:01 #146188 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re:Red tray back

lindsay wrote: so what about a cobra with bow2 overvolted?
it would be lighter and cheaper,

p.s am new to this lol

I'd say it is sufficient. But at that price I'd throw in a few extra £££ and look for a used GP winch :)

But no matter what, the Cobra is a good deal lighter and sufficient for the Jimny :)

There's also the possibility of sourcing a used 8274 and put in the parts you'd like. Would probably end up around same price as new Cobra, but with 2x bow2s and much faster.

• oxford_bloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2015 11:14 #146204 by oxford_bloke
Replied by oxford_bloke on topic Re:Red tray back
do you not think an 8274 is a little extreme for a jimny? after all its a good 600kg lighter than a comp land rover. I personally would start off with a tds winch goodwinch/superwinch/kingone and see how you get on, and then look at the 2 up adaption to them which allows you to run 2 bow motors.

i belive that the 110amp alternator from a ford falcon fits but having a quick look around it reveals you can only get them in aus, also zanfi.com do upgraded alts but at a price. and as for 24v DO IT!!!!! there are various options of doing this, the turbo controllers that winch manufacturers sell, wire it yourself (cheapest option in the UK)with 2 big solenoids or do what TomDK has done and use a land cruiser solenoid "box" wired in. They all switch 2 batteries between series and paralel.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2015 11:25 - 18 Jun 2015 11:32 #146206 by TomDK

oxford_bloke wrote: do you not think an 8274 is a little extreme for a jimny? after all its a good 600kg lighter than a comp land rover. I personally would start off with a tds winch goodwinch/superwinch/kingone and see how you get on, and then look at the 2 up adaption to them which allows you to run 2 bow motors.

i belive that the 110amp alternator from a ford falcon fits but having a quick look around it reveals you can only get them in aus, also zanfi.com do upgraded alts but at a price. and as for 24v DO IT!!!!! there are various options of doing this, the turbo controllers that winch manufacturers sell, wire it yourself (cheapest option in the UK)with 2 big solenoids or do what TomDK has done and use a land cruiser solenoid "box" wired in. They all switch 2 batteries between series and paralel.

Nothing extreme about a 8274 winch or anything bigger. The 8274 is only a 8000 lbs, so will slow down pretty fast. Why an XP or bow 2 motor upgrade is a must.
The Tds winch is great for pay n play and as a budget winch for challenge use. But it is still slow compared to a twin motor winch and freespool is not the same as that of a delta-tek / GP / Red Winches. I would never go back to anything slower than what I have now.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2015 11:32 by TomDK.

• oxford_bloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2015 11:47 #146210 by oxford_bloke
could you not start off with the tds and then as and when money permits or start to get advanced in winch challenge events buy the dual motor adaptor for it and still run 2 bow motor 2s?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2015 13:19 #146214 by TomDK

oxford_bloke wrote: could you not start off with the tds and then as and when money permits or start to get advanced in winch challenge events buy the dual motor adaptor for it and still run 2 bow motor 2s?

You could yes but only a slight increase in speed and the freespool is still only just tolerable.
You'd be much better off with a 8274 twin motor adapter and delta-tek freespool.

If you want to start out with a Tds winch. Do it with a bow2 and turbo box from the start. And then move it to the rear when there's money for a GP/ hornet or upgraded 8274.

• lindsay
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2015 20:00 #146235 by lindsay
I have an 8274 on the front just now with a winch max orange thing on the back bat I am looking at the possibility of putting the 8274 on the back and a twin Moto on the front,
How does the switch thing on a landcruser , does it start on 24v or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2015 20:06 #146237 by TomDK

lindsay wrote: I have an 8274 on the front just now with a winch max orange thing on the back bat I am looking at the possibility of putting the 8274 on the back and a twin Moto on the front,
How does the switch thing on a landcruser , does it start on 24v or something?

It works by switching 2 batteries between series and parallel connection.

Is your 8274 with a bow2 motor or XP perhaps?

• oxford_bloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2015 20:13 #146238 by oxford_bloke
lindsay,

this is how i wired up mine, they all do the same thing just easier to wire

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=topic&catid=7&id=48629

• lindsay
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2015 20:27 #146242 by lindsay
It's a 9.5 challenge motor I think, I bought the winch second hand, it's def not a xp or bow

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2015 20:37 #146246 by TomDK
Never heard of that motor..

Any pics of it? :)

• lindsay
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2015 21:32 #146266 by lindsay
Will get one when its back from North off road Tom,

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds