BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Tapping Noise when idling

• Omtab
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2019 09:31 #212927 by Omtab
Tapping Noise when idling was created by Omtab
I got my 1991 JA11 Jimny running but there is a tapping noise that gets pretty loud. I havent driven it because I dont want to damage whatever is causing the noise. We thought it was valve clearance but we corrected that and spark plug gap this morning and it is still there. Below is an audio for reference to what the noise is. I am in Guam and not many people know what to do with the Jimnys all help is appreciated.

Enginetapping.mp3

Attachments:

Enginetapping.mp3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 16:13 #212936 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Tapping Noise when idling
Difficult to say, because the MP3 could be making it sound worse than it is. But judging by the speed/frequency of the ‘tapping noise’ it could be timing chain? I had a chain tensioner fail on a previous car, it was causing the chain to ‘slap’ the engine case and sounded like an angry sewing machine.

More
02 Sep 2019 05:57 - 02 Sep 2019 05:59 #212965 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Tapping Noise when idling
This is a 1991 car, so an SJ to us Brits. It has a cam belt!

It does sound like camshaft speed but it's a bit difficult to diagnose over the internet.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 02 Sep 2019 05:59 by kirkynut.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds