BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My First ZOOK!

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2019 12:19 #212930 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic My First ZOOK!

DAGZOOK wrote:

Riccy wrote: Chuffin' ell'

Now thats a heavy duty breather pipe :laugh:

I let the Engineer OCD get the better of me some times :laugh: :laugh:

Hya DagZ,

Very impressed with the lengths you went to in order to show the beeather kit install. Thank you, much appreciated!

I would like to do this myself, but worry it is taking on too much for my skill level, but im going to re-read your post and really get familier with all the parts etc. Hopefully i'll be able to do it.

Last thing, are we now saying that suzuki's official wade depth has now been dramatically increased thanks to the breathers? Is it now a case of not allowing any water into the air filter? (which is super duper high!). That would be great if thats the case.

???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DAGZOOK
  • DAGZOOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
01 Sep 2019 15:50 #212934 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic My First ZOOK!
Andy,

It’s an easy job, you only require a few basic tools to get the job done. I appreciate being a new car and all, that adds to the apprehension.

Getting the little breather caps off is the hardest part of the job. With the adj. spanner method and a levering action they cleanly pop off with no fuss.

Doing this mod means that you can wade up to a depth of the top of the tyre without the risk of your axles drawing in water through the hub seals. I decided not to bother with the transfer case breather in the end for two reasons: 1. Access 2. The spigot is positioned so far up into the transmission tunnel, if you’re deep enough to draw in water at that point, your door seals are likely to have been breached already!!

So you can play to your hearts content at the next pay and play session, without worrying about wrecking your new drivetrain!! The air intake is separate and up high above the drivers headlight, I don’t have the minerals to take my new zook that deep :) :P :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
17 Sep 2019 18:18 - 17 Sep 2019 19:41 #213625 by DAGZOOK
I've just returned from an incredible trip In north wales! We stayed in a beautiful nature reserve just south of machynlleth, happy to provide details if anyone is interested. We were literally surrounded 'forestry commission' trails which were sign posted free and open to all. A local told me that the forestry commission allow the public to use their trails, but they do occasionally close parts off during heavy forestry work etc.

The zook was flawless the entire 400mile round trip, minus the highly sensitive 'sway detection' and 'lane detection' warning alerts. I was a little concerned that the standard tyres would be susceptible to punctures on the sharp slate rock track as certain parts were fairly knarly, no issues to report though. The Jimny was in it's natural habitat!
Last edit: 17 Sep 2019 19:41 by DAGZOOK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Gadget, Andy2640

More
17 Sep 2019 20:24 #213638 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic My First ZOOK!
Great photos and lovely location. We took our Jimny up to North Wales as well a few weeks ago and loved it. We've always tended to stay near the north coast, but that looks fantastic, if you could message me where you stayed I'd really appreciate it, could be our next summer hol location!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2019 22:12 #213644 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic My First ZOOK!
Very nice, did you camp or stay in a b&b/hotel?

Great photos

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Sep 2019 04:47 #213654 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic My First ZOOK!
My high speed friends are banging on about going to Wales next spring, these tracks could be a nice counterpoint to that, thanks for sharing.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
18 Sep 2019 05:14 #213655 by DAGZOOK
All,

We stayed here: www.blaeneinion.co.uk/Home.html

Sharon the owner was a fantastic host. It's a cottage B&B we booked through Airb'n'b. You'll find a 75 acre nature reserve that only has 3-4 houses on it. All of which are at least a mile apart.

The valley that you stay in is surrounded by forestry commission trials, none of them were digitised roads so you'll need a map to navigate. The trails lead all the way to a place called 'red kite country' which has breathtaking views. You can also follow them to the nearest town, Tal-y-bont. They go on for miles... you could spend all day exploring them if you wished.

From the main house you're around 25 minutes from machynlleth and Borth sea front.

If anyone needed help finding the forestry trails, i'd happily draw them on a map and PM you :) :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Daniel30, Gadget, Soeley

More
18 Sep 2019 06:27 #213656 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic My First ZOOK!
Looks great, I will have a look into that.

More
18 Sep 2019 06:47 #213660 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic My First ZOOK!
Looks idyllic!

thank you for sharing the info - I have a soft-spot for Wales and often head there whenever I have time on my hands with my lad and family

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
18 Sep 2019 07:23 #213664 by DAGZOOK

Max Headroom wrote: Looks idyllic!

thank you for sharing the info - I have a soft-spot for Wales and often head there whenever I have time on my hands with my lad and family

This is definitely a family friendly holiday. Young kids would love the animals that they keep at this small farm/homestead

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
21 Mar 2020 09:14 #220129 by DAGZOOK
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've made an update - I just thought I'd share this YouTube channel with you. He's a chap based in AUS - he's got a fantastic video on installing breathers on the Gen.4 (including the transfer case breather) along with some awesome trail driving videos that show what the little zook is really capable of!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCa4MOZWV3eZ9NZO5Yz9X9wg

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
21 Sep 2020 18:11 #228403 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic DAG ZOOK's Gen. 4
Hello all!

I've been a bit quiet of late on the forum due to having a lot going on with work and Home life lately, hopefully the majority of you are coping fine and dandy despite all of the doom and gloom this summer.

I thought I'd give a quick update, I've been inspired by Soeley to purchase a set of Gen.3 steelies and refurbish them to take a more aggressive tyre ready for the new year when the factory duellers have done little more work.

I picked this set of steel wheels off a chap in Paignton for £40!!! :woohoo: I'm collecting them this Saturday. For that price I couldn't go wrong, I intend to get them shot blasted and give them a coat of black UPOL Raptor/ Buzzweld FX liner (undecided) but you get the idea!

I think the Gen.4 looks awesome on steel wheels especially with a set of A/T tyres. But also with re-sale prices being silly at the moment it makes sense to keep the original alloys immaculate and not destroy them down at the local shoot.

I plan to purchase a TPMS bypass jobbie to make the swap painless, the firm I've seen mentioned on this forum previously offer a battery powered unit which will fit nicely in the glovebox for around £50. Well worth it as the TPMS sensor batteries tend to go kaput after a few years anyway.

Here's a pick of my new dancing shoes!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds